Reviews (1 Viewer)

Audiodelic

Website
www.siglamag.com
Can I ask a question here of bands who have had their music reviewed in the media?

If someone gives you a bad review, do you take it on the chin? Or do you feel aggrieved and motivated to contact the reviewer?

One or our reviewers on Sigla reviewed an album that they didn't like and I received a phonecall from the press person asking if it could be removed as the review comes up promininantly in the search engines. I've also just received an email from the artist, asking me to remove the review from the site.

In all my time reviewing music, I have never been approached about removing a review from the public domain, not least by a PR person. I have to say, I can't actually believe it.

Should this guy just develop a hard neck if he is going to put his music in to the public domain for review?

No journalist likes to give someone a bad review, I try and accentuate the positive, but I think it's unfair to ask people to compromise their opinions just because you don't like what they have to say.

It's a weird one, not sure what to make of it but wondered if anyone has every taken a review that's not positive, so personally.

hmm, if you are willing to subject your material to someone else for review then you have to be prepared for an impartial review. we've had some nasty ones, and while it does irk, you have to shrug it off.

mags/zines need to stick up crap reviews too, if they want to retain any sense of credibility.

actually, our label got grumpy over our pitchfork review, only cos they knew that three other pitchfork writers who really like us requested to review the LP, and it got assigned to the wrong person.

if a reviewer just rips you apart for no good reason I'd think it ok to find them and burn down their house.

what you described though is pretty ridiculous.

avernus said:
if a reviewer just rips you apart for no good reason I'd think it ok to find them and burn down their house.

what you described though is pretty ridiculous.

Absolutley.
I also reviewed it for The Ticket in the Irish Times and I didn't like it either, but I tried to focus on the good parts (which were minute) and not rip it to shit. Mostly it was just very unremarkable.

your integrity is on the line.
but if they're going to make your life impossible...

i only get great reviews unfortunately, so i'm not much help.

yeah, you gots to take the rough with the smooth. not everyone's going to like your music. as long as the review is constructive and not obviously biased i don't think they have a right to complain.

oh shit said:
your integrity is on the line.
but if they're going to make your life impossible...

i only get great reviews unfortunately, so i'm not much help.

Lucky you! :)

I have no intention of removing it, I stand by all the reviews on the site, my own included. Heck I gave Sufjan Stevens 5/5.

dudley said:
hmm, if you are willing to subject your material to someone else for review then you have to be prepared for an impartial review. we've had some nasty ones, and while it does irk, you have to shrug it off.

mags/zines need to stick up crap reviews too, if they want to retain any sense of credibility.

Thanks Dudley, very good points there. If every reviewer sat on the three stars fence, there'd be no frame of reference for anyone so what would be the point?

I feel bad for the guy, but I feel you have to take reviews on the chin, they're only one persons opinion after all.

I've never heard of someone's press monkey asking for a review to be removed. Legal threats over a club review did come up a few years back, and a friend has been threatened by a band over a review - they've since disappeared due to being shit. This came up recently - i believe about the same review you're on about sinead. I've written a bucket load of reviews over the last few years, tearing some stuff to shreds, not tearing other stuff to shreds (due to a policy of not ripping apart irish stuff - not my policy). Musicians just need to fuck off back to their bedrooms if they're not going to be able to handle a bad review.

dudley said:
actually, our label got grumpy over our pitchfork review, only cos they knew that three other pitchfork writers who really like us requested to review the LP, and it got assigned to the wrong person.

There's a big long thing on the Absolutely Kosher site about it, Corey outed you as a Prod in it.

I also sat through the same rant in New York as well. Well it wasn't a rant but he was quite animated.

if you put it out you no longer have control of it.

if you then try to control it your obviously anal/fascist and a borderline failure.

like em hitler or ... manson.

don't worry about them, it's their problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back