Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

a boom boom sid james! :)

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

Mange tu, offa baggot st. It describes itself as 'pan-asian' but mostly seemed to have thai fare.
starter wasn't too hot, a minced duck thing that I think was actually just too overcooked, and would have been great otherwise, but my main was fantastic, paanang curry, best I've had in Dublin. The wifebot had some monkfish curry thing too that she thought was amazing.

The decor was fairly nice and swanky too, *apart* from the mood lighting, which we didn't mind until they seemed to turn on the ultra violet lamps, and all our plates started glowing.

150 for 4 people too, which ain't too bad.

both thumbs up

Il Baccaro, Meeting House Square Temple Bar. Italian place.

Starters: Breasola with rocket and parmesan
Cured ham with gorgonzola

Mains: Potato gnocchi with pistachio, onion and sweet paprika in a creamy sauce
Pork chops in balsamic vinegar sauce with baby roasted rosemary potatoes

Dessert: Tiramisu
Vanilla panna cotta with chocolate sauce

I really like this place. We sat outside and I almost felt like I was in Italy!! Only let down was my tiramisu which was a bit dry. As far as I know they change the menu on a regular basis. Inside is all dark and atmospheric.

Il Baccaro, Meeting House Square Temple Bar. Italian place.

Starters: Breasola with rocket and parmesan
Cured ham with gorgonzola

Mains: Potato gnocchi with pistachio, onion and sweet paprika in a creamy sauce
Pork chops in balsamic vinegar sauce with baby roasted rosemary potatoes

Dessert: Tiramisu
Vanilla panna cotta with chocolate sauce

I really like this place. We sat outside and I almost felt like I was in Italy!! Only let down was my tiramisu which was a bit dry. As far as I know they change the menu on a regular basis. Inside is all dark and atmospheric.

Yeah, great spot.

Nice feel about the place. lovely authentic food. Portions a wee bit scabby but the prices are alright. A bit toooo on the cosy side. You wouldnt want to be having a barney with the missus or anything. Next table is about 6 inches away.

i'd give it 4 butter knives out of 5.

Yeah, great spot.

Nice feel about the place. lovely authentic food. Portions a wee bit scabby but the prices are alright. A bit toooo on the cosy side. You wouldnt want to be having a barney with the missus or anything. Next table is about 6 inches away.

i'd give it 4 butter knives out of 5.

chez max is a bit like the - the couple at the next table to us - approx 4 inches away - were a bit, er, amorous. He kept putting his hand up her skirt, I was slightly afraid he'd mis-aim by a few inches and stick it up mine instead.

krystal said:
chez max is a bit like the - the couple at the next table to us - approx 4 inches away - were a bit, er, amorous. He kept putting his hand up her skirt, I was slightly afraid he'd mis-aim by a few inches and stick it up mine instead.
Jayz, went to Chez Max last weekend for a pre-Cohen nibble. The onion soup had no onions and tasted like the chef had juiced a chicken soaked in salt, the beef bourgingon tasted like catfood - as in food made of cats drowned in a vat of salt - and the house wine was horrific. This is after them not having what I ordered the first time around.

Anyway, this weekend, ate in Les Gourmandises in Cark-like. Absolutely incredible. Starters was a rabbit terrine (really subtle and delicate) followed by sea bream - it was cooked to perfection, melted like butter but still a good, firm texture. The fillets were layered on top of each other and the base was some very subtle white/black pudding that gave it a kick. Nice enough creme brulee to finish.

I don't like to carp on about food too much here, but the meal was one of the best I've eaten. Les Gourmandises is a teriffic restaurant, the owner herself engages with people about the food, it's a real labour of love. Cork's amazing, all this fresh produce right on her doorstep.

Jayz, went to Chez Max last weekend for a pre-Cohen nibble. The onion soup had no onions and tasted like the chef had juiced a chicken soaked in salt, the beef bourgingon tasted like catfood - as in food made of cats drowned in a vat of salt - and the house wine was horrific. This is after them not having what I ordered the first time around.

Anyway, this weekend, ate in Les Gourmandises in Cark-like. Absolutely incredible. Starters was a rabbit terrine (really subtle and delicate) followed by sea bream - it was cooked to perfection, melted like butter but still a good, firm texture. The fillets were layered on top of each other and the base was some very subtle white/black pudding that gave it a kick. Nice enough creme brulee to finish.

I don't like to carp on about food too much here, but the meal was one of the best I've eaten. Les Gourmandises is a teriffic restaurant, the owner herself engages with people about the food, it's a real labour of love. Cork's amazing, all this fresh produce right on her doorstep.

Cork is magic for food, gan dabht.

Had lunch the other week in Saba, that new-ish (ok, new to me) Thai place round the back of the westbury hotel. Lovely altogether, especially the squid and the sea-bass. Yum.

Lunch in Fallon and Byrne: tuna sandwich with fuck all tuna in it - brought it back, but all tuna sandwiches were like that so i got a goat's cheese sandwich with just one big lump of cheese and some onions. So, so overrated this place. The last couple of times i went there i got microwaved food that was cold in the middle.

Lunch in Fallon and Byrne: tuna sandwich with fuck all tuna in it - brought it back, but all tuna sandwiches were like that so i got a goat's cheese sandwich with just one big lump of cheese and some onions. So, so overrated this place. The last couple of times i went there i got microwaved food that was cold in the middle.

Got a chilli there once. Absolutely appalling. Rock hard kidney beans.

Had lunch the other week in Saba, that new-ish (ok, new to me) Thai place round the back of the westbury hotel. Lovely altogether, especially the squid and the sea-bass. Yum.

Yeah i give Saba the thumbs up n'all.

the holidays threw up

1) Dunbrody House Hotel, Arthurstown, Co Wexford.
€52 for two courses.
Brought the kids.
On edge all through the meal given the opulent surroundings.
Starters:
Curried parsnip soup - small portion
Foie gras - by all accounts was ok.

Mains:
Pork belly - nice but small
Lamb shanks - fatty and small.

2) Sqigl, Duncannon, Co Wexford
Totally impressive

Best chowder ever. Panfried chicken with chorizo and bean cassoulet rocked. Exquisite lemon tart.

W had crab and avacado combo, monkfish with serrano ham and marjoram.

Plus two deadly chef apertifs - salmon and dill cracker plus haddock creme broule.

Kids with babysitter,

Went to Gotham at lunch. Lovely linguini with butternut squash, peas, mint, goat's cheese, pesto.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

had a go of the winding stair last weekend.
the atmosphere was brilliant, we had a really lovely time, and the food was very good indeed, but not spectacular, can certainly think of better places in dublin with a similar menu that warrant more fuss than this place is getting.

Aya has well and truly gone to shit.
I nipped into the one behind Brown Thomas yesterday.
NEVER AGAIN!

The tuna sushi showed superior knife work.
I've never seen fish shaved so thinly.
It was presented as two stiff rectangles of stale tasting dull brown/maroon flesh on siamese twin rice balls, where it was once like bright, soft cloth draped across pillows of rice.
The rest of the sushi bar offerings were dull.
Lots of mayonnaise concoctions, spring rolls, deep fried fish offerings (no longer deemed fresh enough to be served raw).
And they charge €2 a head for the pleasure of sitting at the bar.

At least the free ginger is nice.
And those Japanese chewy sweets they sell at the counter are fuckin deadly.
It's sad when those are the only two redeeming factors of your restaurant.

Up yours Aya.
You taste like your Ma who used to be hot.

edit: And both Good World and The Imperial have closed for renovation for the next month!
Nowhere decent in town for Dim Sum!!
Pattaya restaurant in Clondalkin do excellent Dim Sum if you're in the area.

i don't usually go out for dinner a whole lot. had someone visiting and had to go somewhere nice.

ended up going to Bocaccio's (probably the wrong spelling) on Dame Street. nice food yo and both me and my guest can be a bit picky, but it was lovely

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back