Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

OMG! That sounds god-awful.
we had a ball of a time and nothing like that happened, service was excellent, food impeccable, but I was there for work as their guest, so perhaps that influenced things a tad.

Gordon Ramsey Restaurant and the Ritz

I was there last night on a work do that had been arranged months ago (I arranged it myself). 17 of us in a private dining room with a menu consisting of a choice of three starters, three mains and two desserts (as well as tea, coffee and petit fours afterwards) for a per person cost of €157 (drinks not included).

My boss okay'd the cost and the menu as it was a one off for us all and a special occasion. The meal was a disaster! The main courses all came out cold (sea bass, tenderloin and lamb) and a number of them were under/over cooked. Desserts were all brought out at differing times and 6 of us were told that we couldn't have the dessert we ordered because the guy making ours had finished for the evening! So 55 minutes after everyone else got theirs (yes, I timed it) we were brought dessert but by that stage they weren't really wanted anymore.

Wine wasn't being topped up; neither was water. Plates weren't being cleared between meals and after dessert, those who had eaten dessert had their plates in front of them for what seemed like ages. Tea and coffee were eventually brought out but no sign of the petit fours!

I was really disappointed. I was expecting gastronomic heaven but got nothing of the sort. Even the service was shite. I wouldn't recommend them one bit. Maybe it's just their group bookings that aren't well-looked after, but I wouldn't go even just myself and Johnnyc on our own. What a bloody let down. And the cheek of them charging so much for such utter crap!

Any reviews I have read of that Ramsay place have said it's shite ...

They obviously make a special effort for you K, as is only right and proper ..

ate in the farm on dawson street today. they don't seem to understand dimensions, i reckon the 9" pizza i was served was far closer to eleven inches. and it was lovely.

when in Limerick and if you love indian food go to the Mogul Emperor.
amazing.

ate in the farm on dawson street today. they don't seem to understand dimensions, i reckon the 9" pizza i was served was far closer to eleven inches. and it was lovely.

This place looks great but .... we were in town on Xmas eve, four adults and two toddlers and thought let's go in there for lunch. We were told they were only offering the set three course menu. Like we are really going to give a two year old a starter + main course + desert and coffee. Irritating as they had a full, really varied menu on display with tons of stuff that kids would eat. If we could have ordered off that we would have gone in and spent probably 100 quid. We just went somewhere else and gave them our money instead.

What idiots. And I wouldn't mind so much but the place was practically empty.

we ate in the farm a while ago and it was very disappointing. i had a cheeseburger and the organic beef was really nice but i could barely taste the cheese as there was so little and the chips were rubbish. and i know it was organic beef n all, but it was very overpriced for what i got.

had a go of balzac on saturday night. pretty bleedin fantastic it was. gorgeous room, lovely staff and superb food.

herself got the smoked fish platter to start, which was awesome and her main was grilled hake with black pudding and pinenuts. it was disgustingly amazing.

me, i gots the crab creme brulee and a simple old steak, perfectly cut and cooked, sides of duck fat roasties and some roast veg, just ace.

and then there was all the delicious port, ang ang ang ang ang.....

Not sure if I've ever mentioned Gruel before but it's one of my favourite restaurants. The service is dodgy and it always seems to be cramped but I never mind. The food is great and excellent value. The menu is always changing and is always delicious. Last night I had a lamb shank with lentils, red onions and carrots. Absolutely gorgeous. Herself had corned beef with horseradish and shit. She really enjoyed it. I was too busy getting a faceful of lamb to bother having a proper taste of hers. Their roast in a roll at lunchtime is nice and I love going there for breakfast.

And across the road from Gruel is Chez Max. French gaff at the gate to Dublin castle. Was there last Friday for first meal out in yonks and it was only suberb I tell ya ...

And across the road from Gruel is Chez Max. French gaff at the gate to Dublin castle. Was there last Friday for first meal out in yonks and it was only suberb I tell ya ...
I've been to Chez Max a few times and the food, in fairness, has always been great. The last time I was there, we were charged for 2 bottles of wine and fois gras. When we complained, Max went psycho. Really bad experience.

Aye, I tried to get to Chez Max last year for lunch and it was nearly empty, but they said all the tables were booked. Then they put us at a table that was literally 1.57cm from the next table. And the waitress was so unfriendly and passive aggressive that I resolved never to go there ever.

Latest best place I've been to eat lately is Le Gueleton. Shoot me, but I had suckling pig. All very good, in a kind of French routier trucker café kinda way. Good choice of wine.

What I like about it is it's not perfect, the service is really good, and they make an effort to keep out all the bullshit, like booking and reserving particular tables, so it keeps that French bistro thing. And the food's really very good.

Best foodhouse for French food in Dublin I've been to, though, is Les Freres Jacques. Portions aren't as big, but the ingredients and cooking is awesome. Haven't made it to those hoity toity places yet, Chapter One or whatever.

As an overall package of quality food, good service, affordablity, atmos etc I think le geuleton is the best restaurant in the city.

The Winding Stair would have the edge over it, in my opinion.

The Winding Stair is awesome all right. Haven't got to got to Le Gueleton yet but it really sounds great.

That's disappointing that other people's experience of Chez Max wasn't as good as mine. It was all good for me. I was quite drunk though ....

That's disappointing that other people's experience of Chez Max wasn't as good as mine. It was all good for me. I was quite drunk though ....
I used to be quite a big fan of Chez Max, just the last time I was there was really awful and I vowed never to go go back. Max is one of the biggest assholes I've ever met. Or maybe he was just in a bad mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back