• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gearing up for 4 days in a row of canvassing and leafleting this week, I might actually die of exhaustion but sure whats 4 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is starting to feel physically and emotionally exhausted this last month, after months (YEARS??) of campaigning at this stage. This morning when waiting for my shuttle to work at Heuston all of the Nos were out in their bus, I didn't even have the energy to be angry, I just burst into tears.

I was talking to a room of my female friends over the weekend, and we're all GETTING TO THAT AGE (pre and post 30 give or take, I'll actually be 30 in two weeks) where kids are on the horizon for those of us who want that. And it kind of just struck me that if this referendum doesn't pass, I don't ever want to have a child in this country. That's been weighing on my mind a lot over the last few days since. I wasn't the only one in that discussion who was putting some plans in place to leave Ireland if the referendum doesn't pass. I know that's not the most productive way to deal with these things, walking away from a bush fire instead of picking up a bucket of water, but it was the reality. Anyway, its something I hadn't really thought of before, and I wonder how many other women my age are feeling this way.

THAT SAID, I'm also trying to not eat the shit sandwich and have the most positive week of the campaign. I hope everyone else is looking after themselves. As a women who has had both an abortion and a miscarriage, and as a woman with a womb who is thinking a lot about what Ireland actually has to offer me right now, I know that this campaign has been a re-traumatizing experience and I hope everyone gets some much needed support when Friday passes, however it goes.

<3
Well done for having the strength and courage to go out and do something in spite of your experiences. We need voices like yours but I’m completely mindful of those who cannot cope with the anxiety, the memories, and the horrendous Love Boats. My friends were interviewed by Sky News yesterday and I know the publicity is so tough on them but they are putting themselves through hell because they want change. I simultaneously feel sorry that they have to go through all this and I am also so, so proud to see them eloquently and coherently crushing the No side’s arguments. The Yes side has consistently had humanity and dignity throughout the campaign, it deserves to go through. I really hope that this is a turning point for Ireland.
It might not be them.

Remember we are in brexit times and this mechanism involving hospitals in another country has no guarantees if the border control gets messy.
I am surprised that Brexit hasn’t really come into the arguments. It’s one factor that is really troubling me should it fail to be repealed.

everyone close to me here in co. Tipp is in Yes camp.
my religious aunt (who lives elsewhere) doesn't believe this should be in constitution either.
i tell people what i think and have done for long years.

i never believe in collective identity - assuming things about people 'cause they're boggers.
young/old, economic backround, the estate they live on, clothes they wear, music they like etc.
isn't a good idea.

e.g. the international media often assume Ireland is more religious than it is nowadays.
they seemed surprised when marriage referendum passed - but we knew it was always certain.

having said that No should get a majority here but it's not gonna be a huge one.

Well done for having the strength and courage to go out and do something in spite of your experiences. We need voices like yours but I’m completely mindful of those who cannot cope with the anxiety, the memories, and the horrendous Love Boats. My friends were interviewed by Sky News yesterday and I know the publicity is so tough on them but they are putting themselves through hell because they want change. I simultaneously feel sorry that they have to go through all this and I am also so, so proud to see them eloquently and coherently crushing the No side’s arguments. The Yes side has consistently had humanity and dignity throughout the campaign, it deserves to go through. I really hope that this is a turning point for Ireland.

I am surprised that Brexit hasn’t really come into the arguments. It’s one factor that is really troubling me should it fail to be repealed.

THANK YOU <3 That's really appreciated, Cornu.

I am in awe of everyone who has been so public with their stories and support.

It might not be them.

Remember we are in brexit times and this mechanism involving hospitals in another country has no guarantees if the border control gets messy.
Excuse my ignorance on this @ann post but I'm not clear on the "mechanism involving hospitals in another country"?
Do you mean accessing terminations abroad being put in potential jeopardy if repeal fails?

Excuse my ignorance on this @ann post but I'm not clear on the "mechanism involving hospitals in another country"?
Do you mean accessing terminations abroad being put in potential jeopardy if repeal fails?
I'd imagine that in the event the referendum is defeated, and after Brexit, Irish women will need to go to a country within the EU?

Yes i do. The NHS has been under pressure a lot for the last few years and if brexit causes a recession there is no guaranteeing any reaction from the brexits on people travelling to brexit to access any form of healthcare. I haven't seen anything so far that says that they might stop providing healthcare to people who travel, but I don't see it as a secure long term option considering the level of conflict on how borders might form in the coming years.

Yes i do. The NHS has been under pressure a lot for the last few years and if brexit causes a recession there is no guaranteeing any reaction from the brexits on people travelling to brexit to access any form of healthcare. I haven't seen anything so far that says that they might stop providing healthcare to people who travel, but I don't see it as a secure long term option considering the level of conflict on how borders might form in the coming years.
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification and it's a good point; I hadn't thought of that before.

Does the moratorium on Thursday afternoon mean the human leaflet spamming in Dublin city centre will stop?

Does the moratorium on Thursday afternoon mean the human leaflet spamming in Dublin city centre will stop?

It should, but considering the complete lack of respect the No side has shown for town bylaws (Mallow, among other towns, was blanketed in their posters despite the town having a blanket ban on all political posters), requests from maternity hospitals and the truth in general.. I think it is a safe bet that they'll continue to peddle hate and lies right up to the day. There need to be stronger penalties in place.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He's the guy that went on hunger strike a while back in front of the Dail for 10 days.

hqdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back