Rent / Taxes (1 Viewer)

Did this online - you need the PPS no of your landlord and their address to do it, which I had thank god.

Feels like we're going round in circles here. There is space to enter the landlord's pps online but it's not a required field. Anyway, i'm waiting for a fat cheque, which should arrive in time for me to pay my car tax and insurance:mad:

Feels like we're going round in circles here. There is space to enter the landlord's pps online but it's not a required field. Anyway, i'm waiting for a fat cheque, which should arrive in time for me to pay my car tax and insurance:mad:

If you give them your bank details, they'll pay directly into that.

If you give them your bank details, they'll pay directly into that.

Oh yeah, did that actually. Still doesn't ease the pain. Easy come easy go. Talk of a 2% raise in the standard rate is troubling me as well. But we all have to pull together.

It'll be more 3 or 4 than 2% I'd say.

You think? In the standard rate? That seems too much for the average punter to swallow. I'd heard talk of 2% but to be honest things are changing so fast these days that nothing would surprise me. Property Tax has to come in too.

You think? In the standard rate? That seems too much for the average punter to swallow. I'd heard talk of 2% but to be honest things are changing so fast these days that nothing would surprise me. Property Tax has to come in too.

I suspect that the income tax will go up, but VAT will come down.

I suspect that the income tax will go up, but VAT will come down.

Cool! Better buy loads of goods and services to regain my losses. I really wanna see some draconian measures on 2nd houses, unlikely though.

Here, any idea how long it takes revenue to process rent relief claims?

I think they randomly audit a certain number of applications they receive. So they can sleep at night.

I just found out that I underpaid tax to the tune of €500 last year. They'll take it back over the next two years. Ha ha. Ha ha. Sob.

Also, a recommendation: If you apply for tax relief, ring them after your happlication has been processed and ask them to not apply it to your future income on an monthy basis. This is only a good idea when rents are going up or you're upsizing. When you're trying to save money with rent by getting cheaper rent it could result in an underpayment at the end of the year. I think that contributed to my woes.

all i'm saying is that everyone says 'oh just send it in without the PPS, it'll be grand' and that's not necessarily true.

the signature thing is really what makes them PRICKS.

As I understand it, the economy is completely fucked. A 10% increase in income tax is about what's needed. The Government knows exactly how bad the situation is over the next two or three years, but they're only letting the information out in dribs and drabs. A month ago, this economy was set to contract by 4%. A week ago, 6%. Currently 6.5% which is about the worst growth projection in the EU (worse than Spain anyway, which has almost twice as much unemployment as us). They're trying to let people down slowly but it's a braindead policy I think. I think that either the IMF or someone else will be called in before the end of the year. And I don't think it will be a bad thing. Medical consultants get paid vastly more in Ireland than they do in Germany. If Germany bails us out, do you think they're going to tolerate this? There appears to be no depth to the idiocy of Cowen, Lenihan et al.

I do hope the screw the property speculators who bought land or several houses in the "good" times and inflated the prices even further. But they'll probably cushion the blow for them as much as they can. They're the "wealth generators" aren't they? They provide the sacred jobs.

You're giving them too much credit. They haven't had decent estimates in years.
It's true that they, or the Revenue Commissioners to be precise, greatly underestimated the tax take for the 5 or so years previous to 2008 and that the tax take has been greatly overestimated recently. The fact that they didn't see this as a problem was worrying in itself. And it makes rubbish of the publicity that FF are the party with economic nous. Gerry Adams has the same grip of macro economics that they do, regardless of the spin.

But I do think that it's becoming more and more obvious that they are trying to manage information, in a ham fisted way, about the awful state of the economy. They won't turn over the figures to the opposition, for instance, who have asked for them so they can make informed budget suggestions. The worst thing is that people like us are left in limbo. I think they would be better off coming clean and saying 'this is the worst case scenario and we should plan for it with appropriate tax hikes - if it turns out to be not as bad, then we'll use the money on x y and z'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back