Rent / Taxes (3 Viewers)

weird - I only found out about this last week and am waiting for my last landlord to get post me with my receipt etc. Thankfully he was sound as were the rental agency for my current gaff so no hassle with the info.

One question - I live with my boyfriend and both of our names are on the lease for our apartment, and we halve the rent.
Do I send the receipt and claim for my half of the rent and get him to claim for his? The receipt has both our names on it.

We were only living in this place for a few months in the last year but my rent's double what it was in the last place and I am pretty financially strapped 'cos of commuting and whatnot.

just put in what you pay. its the same as just renting a room in a place you pay your share. its a percentage of what you pay you get back so yeah it makes a difference how much

yep I assumed that but I mean if I say I paid, say for the sake of argument, €2500 but the total amount on the receipt was €5000, would they understand that it was halved between us?

or am I making a mountain out of a molehill ;)

if the receipt was in both names, it would be assumed at 1/2 but i would mention it in your covering letter when sending it to the revenue

yeah, you don't need to send in a receipt with the app.

yeah, it's only if they subsequently ask for the receipt it should be submitted

I sent mine off without the landlord's PPS number there and they sent it back and said they couldn't do anything without it. They also complained about my signature being too scribbly (seriously). Pricks

I have both the PPS numbers and letters so it should be grand, hopefully.
I have a terrible signature so I'll make sure it's readable, thanks Dexta ;)
i sent them back a strongly worded (in that obnoxiously polite way) letter about my signature having been fine for my driver's licence, passport, loan application, college applications and employment contract, and about how I felt it would defeat the point of a signature to go making up a new one at this stage.

then i signed off "kind regards" which is my office-speak version of "DIE, DIE, DIE NOW YOU BASTARDS".

then i felt much better.

making up a new signature, i fucking ask you. it wasn't even the first time i'd applied for rent relief like. my signature was fine for them before.

also guys, how much rent you paid doesn't matter i think, you get 400 ish regardless per year, and only if you were working.

also guys, how much rent you paid doesn't matter i think, you get 400 ish regardless per year, and only if you were working.
In theory it matters, but it's capped so low that any bog standard rent will get you the max.

20% of the rent you pay is what you can get claim back up to a maximum of 2000 per year. so if anyone pays over 10,000euro a year in rent thats when the limit kicks in

20% of the rent you pay is what you can get claim back up to a maximum of 2000 per year. so if anyone pays over 10,000euro a year in rent thats when the limit kicks in
ah, my understanding of tax credits is sketchy at best.

MUCH LIKE MY SIGNATURE, PRICKS

ah, my understanding of tax credits is sketchy at best.

MUCH LIKE MY SIGNATURE, PRICKS

Your local CIC will be able to fill you in all that if you want advice. You can also claim back tax on medical /dental stuff, any education fees, bin tags, there's a few others. If you get onto the PAYE anytime system it shows how much tax you paid each year for past five years and gives you options about claiming back different things

The maximum is 20% of 2,000 = €400. Like there is anyone in this country paying under €2,000 a year rent.

So, basically, you'll get back 400 a year.

I sent mine off without the landlord's PPS number there and they sent it back and said they couldn't do anything without it. They also complained about my signature being too scribbly (seriously). Pricks

Squiggle is right, its €400 max (20% of €2,000).

And Dexta, whoever you spoke to us utterly wrong there or just being a prick. I called Revenue in Cork and they told me no need for pps. There is also nowhere to enter the pps on the online system, so tell them to get fucked.

Squiggle is right, its €400 max (20% of €2,000).

And Dexta, whoever you spoke to us utterly wrong there or just being a prick. I called Revenue in Cork and they told me no need for pps. There is also nowhere to enter the pps on the online system, so tell them to get fucked.
I pretty much did. In the politest way possible.
There was also a box on the front of the form with absolutely no indication of what was supposed to go into it and they gave out to me for not filling it in. I wish I'd kept a copy of the letter they sent me actually, it put me in a quare rage.

Registered for the revenue online stuff there just now, hopefully get my PIN soon and can put the days of having to send letters to these pricks behind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back