Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

Here's me on tour with my rad band - DIY style. We're sound so people let us stay in their gaffs and feed us.

210700mjto6pox3v.gif

That is a trait of Thumped that I've learned over the course of this thread.

That's fine but I'm being treated as if I'm trying to promote the idea of getting signed. I'm entitled to want to get signed. I didn't criticise anyone for not wanting to get signed.

You'd better get used to that kinda thing if you're gonna hang around.

Honestly, this is not the case. It started with me saying that I know of cases where 8k was spent on a single.

The argument started with people calling me a liar, who could spend this and I was explaining how. I think the guys who did it are eejits like everybody else.

Sure go back to earlier and you'll see me say "What would you say if your little brother started a band and took out an 8k loan"

I'm being taken up wrong

Actually, a lot of people have said in a number of different ways that they see what you're talking about, and yet you continue to respond to all of us as if we're all calling you a liar. I don't think anyone is actually surprised that there are young bands out there who aren't aware of the many different ways one can get their music 'out there', and who end up spending a ridiculous amount of money. It's a pity that the indie-stry sometimes shouts so loudly and glossily that younguns aren't easily made aware of all of the other things that are going on, and end up in a financial hole, and we all know people to whom it's happened. It's just that most people here have different goals, artistically.

But the thing is, you did actually come across as seeing it as an 'either/or' situation, and you didn't seem to be suggesting that there was another way (whether or not you do feel this way was not made clear). As in 'either' you spend eight grand, 'or' you get an 'investor', and the general gist was that a number of posters were trying to convey to you the notion that most people on Thumped do not think in terms of 'investors' or 'getting signed'. In fact, the concept of 'getting signed' to a local indie is a bit vague. Yes, it might actually save people some hassle if they put a few things on paper (because it's not like bad blood is unknown in the indie world), but some of us have tried to highlight that if you look beyond the world of formal agreements, there's a great, big, informal place where some cool stuff is happening and where there is a community. But that community does not want to be used as a stepping stone to 'getting signed'.

Some useful discussion has come out of it, not least the question of whether a label advance can legally be called a loan if they aren't a registered moneylender. But even when people started discussing it as a separate issue, you kept taking it as if it was an attack on you. It didn't seem that way to me -- it was something that people were thinking and talking about.

I also know someone very close to me who spent a lot of people's money trying to 'get signed', and it was tough to watch, and even tougher when that person would scoff at my suggestions that there are cheaper and more productive ways of going about things. The end result is that they're in their mid-30s, after years of trying to chase contracts and labels, and then more years where music was more of a burden than a passion, and only now rediscovering their own pleasure in making it for its own sake. If you've sparked discussion, then good, but try not to see people's efforts to look at it from different perspectives as a denial of the reality that some people end up screwing themselves because they might not have known any better.

I think the people who lost the rag the most were the people who used to actually think like young waterfall there. Ah the disdain of the recently-converted. Life's like a mirror.

Totally.
Actually, this thread has given me a lot to think about. Imagine, this is the shit I was going to write my thesis about. Ha, that would have been a mess.

I shall now muse for a while. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

heeey

maybe that was waterfalls ploy all along

this whole thing has just been research for a bleedin student thesis!

"My research indicates that individuals who actively seek record label interest are considered "steamers" who "talk shite". I will show this thread in the appendices"

Originally, my opinion on this was if you don't have a deal there's a reason you don't have a deal. Why would you go pouring your own (borrowed) money into releasing a single if the industry has not taken notice of any demo or gig to date?

whatever happened to making music for its own sake, or for one's own pleasure.
if a band wants to utterly compromise themselves and get involved in the anti-creative world of the major label record industry, and contribute to the endless stream of bland and derivative vomit thats is passed off as something "new" or "vital" rather than the conservative ephemera that it really is, then let them. and let them get fucked over. to call them "whores" is too kind: at least prostitution is honest. i genuinely have more respect for the average crack dealer than i do for anyone wants to "make it big" in the record industry.

Doing it yourself is not as easy as it sounds.

You should see my bookshelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back