Releasing Music Yourself -versus- Not Unless We Get a Deal (1 Viewer)

Dude! Chill out! This isn't an argument, it's a guy looking for advice, getting hassled because he doesn't fit in, and then trying to defend himself
ah, it annoys me when people spout bollocks like he does, though. a little knowledge is a dangerous eight grand

Jane, I've read your post, and I like where you're going, but one thing confuses me, and I hope you could clarify, are you a feminist?

Yeah, but people here are trying to explain that the way you're describing is not the only way, and in fact, most local indie labels will respond to an act of community rather than a professionally-produced press release. The words 'unsigned' or 'showcase' send a message that you're just using an indie as a stepping stone, rather than engaging with the process that the indie community supports and encourages.

As snthr pointed out, it's obvious to those of us who are part of the sections of the independent music scene who make up most of the Thumped membership. People have been trying to help, and you really have just kept reiterating how much it costs.

No one is saying that it's free or suggesting that you should shun the possibility of commercial success, but if you love your hobby, you put money into it, and you don't expect anyone to give that money back to you. I don't expect people to pay for my running shoes, or my printer ink, or for the time I lose (and later have to recoup) because I blew off a day of work to write a story. I've put on a good few gigs in my time, and sometimes, yes, you lose money on them, but the thing is, you chalk it up to it being a thing you do because you love it, and turning a profit isn't an issue. People pay lots of money to do stuff like go skiing and snowboarding or fishing or skydiving, but they don't consider it a 'loss' financially, they consider it something that they love to do that happens to require a bit of cash to continue doing.

just sign this here contract, young man - i'm gonna make you a star

Aces! i demand that I be made to perform sexual favours though

speaking of Aces

Aces Wild- CD Release - Voodoo Lounge 20th April

you could've said that in the first place instead of gaouging out your eyes rather than release our band.

Marky Mark once gouged a guy's eye out.

Do you have an entourage? Snthr does. You kind of need one to make it in the world of show business.

yeah, a local indie label

I think thats the point people are picking up on here, most people here as far as I can gather are more concerned with writing/recording/performing their music themselves then ever getting a deal whether it be a local indie or multinational major.

I think thats the point people are picking up on here, most people here as far as I can gather are more concerned with writing/recording/performing their music themselves then ever getting a deal whether it be a local indie or multinational major.

That is a trait of Thumped that I've learned over the course of this thread.

That's fine but I'm being treated as if I'm trying to promote the idea of getting signed. I'm entitled to want to get signed. I didn't criticise anyone for not wanting to get signed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back