Relationships - what is the point? (1 Viewer)

Ironically, a huge amount of thought and effort was required to be comfortable with this idea and continue to raise a child; but it's still not the kind of realisation anyone would be glad about getting right.

If it was the right thing to do then I'm sure, in time, you, your ex and your kiddo will realise it was the right decision and be glad of it, and that's much better then dragging everyone through a bad relationship till it's too late to untangle it all without someone getting hurt

Ehh, good reasons to be in a relationsip. What is better about being in a relationship than being single? Aren't all relationships just doomed to end in flames when you get bored of each other? etc etc

I think this falls along the same lines as "sure, we all die and more to the point we all die alone, so when it all boils down to it, why bother doing anything?"

Tough question to answer. Then again, whats the point in answering it?

If it was the right thing to do then I'm sure, in time, you, your ex and your kiddo will realise it was the right decision and be glad of it, and that's much better then dragging everyone through a bad relationship till it's too late to untangle it all without someone getting hurt

I get really pissed off when people talk about the importance of keeping the traditional family unit together above all else. It's not the 'breakup of families' it's the damage done by living a lie. However many parents kids have, and whatever their relationship with each other, if the kids know they are absolutely loved and wanted, then that's what matters.

I think people end up looking at the damage divorce does and then extrapolate from that, but divorce is a bad relationship ending. It's probably not the divorce that does the damage. Or if it is, it's because the divorce is ugly on one or both sides and the kids end up as go-betweens or end up neglected.

If kids see the model of their parents' relationship and it's two people who can't stand each other, it might be that little bit harder to form their own adult relationships because that's their example. But if they have two parents who aren't together, they probably learn a hell of a lot more about healthy relationships because they see conflict resolution, compromise -- all those things -- in action, and a bit more acknowledgement of reality. And the messages they get about love and respect aren't contradicted by two parents who can't even look at each other and live in total denial.

I get really pissed off when people talk about the importance of keeping the traditional family unit together above all else. It's not the 'breakup of families' it's the damage done by living a lie. However many parents kids have, and whatever their relationship with each other, if the kids know they are absolutely loved and wanted, then that's what matters.

I think people end up looking at the damage divorce does and then extrapolate from that, but divorce is a bad relationship ending. It's probably not the divorce that does the damage. Or if it is, it's because the divorce is ugly on one or both sides and the kids end up as go-betweens or end up neglected.

If kids see the model of their parents' relationship and it's two people who can't stand each other, it might be that little bit harder to form their own adult relationships because that's their example. But if they have two parents who aren't together, they probably learn a hell of a lot more about healthy relationships because they see conflict resolution, compromise -- all those things -- in action, and a bit more acknowledgement of reality. And the messages they get about love and respect aren't contradicted by two parents who can't even look at each other and live in total denial.

I heard/read/smelled somewhere that Charles Dickens was responsible for inventing the nuclear family.

Billy, please stop blaming poor Charles Dickens for everything. He can't even defend himself, poor chap.

They're going to exhume him. They need to find out who Jack the Ripper was and there are rumours that it is the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Anyway, the original subtitle for Oliver Twist was "The need for a mother and father at home: Why a poor little bastard turned in to a dirty rent boy".

Billy, please stop blaming poor Charles Dickens for everything. He can't even defend himself, poor chap.
I dunno about that now Jane.
hard-times.jpg

I went out with Charles Dickens for a while.
It's a strange feeling having beard rash on your groin.

I like this and I agree.

9 WORDS WOMEN USE

(1) Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

(2) Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

(3) Nothing: This is the calm before the storm.This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

(4) Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

(5) Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to # 3 for the meaning of nothing.)

(6) That's Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

(7) Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or Faint. Just say you're welcome. (I want to add in a clause here - This is true, unless she says "Thanks a lot" - that is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say "you're welcome" ..... that will bring on a "whatever").

(8) Whatever: Is a women's way of saying FUCK YOU!

(9) Don't worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking "What's wrong?" For the woman's response refer to # 3.

I like this and I agree.

9 WORDS WOMEN USE

(1) Fine: This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

(2) Five Minutes: If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

(3) Nothing: This is the calm before the storm.This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

(5) Loud Sigh: This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to # 3 for the meaning of nothing.)

(6) That's Okay: This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

(7) Thanks: A woman is thanking you, do not question, or Faint. Just say you're welcome. (I want to add in a clause here - This is true, unless she says "Thanks a lot" - that is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say "you're welcome" ..... that will bring on a "whatever").

(9) Don't worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking "What's wrong?" For the woman's response refer to # 3.

Does that not apply to everyone? Bar the getting dressed bit that is.

I like this and I agree.

9 WORDS WOMEN USE

can i call this heteronormative, stereotypical bullshit if i accept that this not unrelated to my future of being nibbled to death by cats? ok: this is heteronormative stereotypical bullshit.

can i call this heteronormative, stereotypical bullshit if i accept that this not unrelated to my future of being nibbled to death by cats? ok: this is heteronormative stereotypical bullshit.

I don't like to admit it, but some of it's kind of true in my case. Ulp! !ninjaaaa

music, what's the point?
sex, what's the point?
tennis, what's the point?
the Point Depot, what's the RDS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back