Regarding the Converge gig... (1 Viewer)

damien said:
i am gonna make a fortune and leave the punk scene and get a job as a booking agent for epitaph after this and all my other "sell out" gigs later in the year.

dreams can come true, people.
Here fucko, no-one's attacking you.Relax.

Though now you're secret is out, I might as well tell you we're signing to Earache.

TESTAROSSA said:
you could put on Tom Waits in the 4 seasons
he's on epitaph just like the locust are, right?

andrew

See,I bought the TomWaits albums on Epitaph, and it didn't bother me, cos unfortunately if you want any Tom Waits you have to fork your cash over to the majors.
And anyway, Tom Waits can do whatever the hell he wants.He's Tom Waits.Him and Michael Gira are immune from any criticism.By law.

damien said:
i am gonna make a fortune and leave the punk scene and get a job as a booking agent for epitaph after this and all my other "sell out" gigs later in the year.
I don't think anyone, at any point, in any thread, has attacked you for putting on Converge, or them having a guarantee or anything like that.
People were just miffed that Converge haven't been subjected to the same scrutiny that other less-fashionable bands were subjected to for lesser crimes against punk rock.

jesus christ i usually don't bother with this crap, with posting about bands selling out etc. As Testerossa said it's just cd's and records in 15/20 years no-one will give two fucks, there are more important things. I have never not bought an album because of the record label its on, yes i do prefer the idea of diy but this is a really real world and sometimes major labels release excellant records, its tragic but its true.

People have been continously attacking GZ and Damo for putting on this gig, some of the same people who didnt think twice about splashing out 50yo-yos on iron maiden. I dont act holier than thou because i am not, i buy major label stuff all the time, if you can honestly say that you haven't then i'll listen to ur arguments otherwise fuck off and try to realise that epitaph or not it's better than this gig is being put on by GZ than MCD.

spuded said:
People have been continously attacking GZ and Damo for putting on this gig.
where? who? I really haven't seen it or read it. In fact most people have went out of their way, I know I have, repeatedly to say that they don't have a problem with GZ, Damo,reasonable guarantees, or even Converge.
The posts so far have been pretty interesting and I don't think anyone has been acting holier than thou, fuck sake I buy major label pop music all the time. Jesus Christ it sounds like we're all sooo punk we don't even have to be punk anymore, brilliant!

xConorx said:
where? who? I really haven't seen it or read it. In fact most people have went out of their way, I know I have, repeatedly to say that they don't have a problem with GZ, Damo,reasonable guarantees, or even Converge.
The posts so far have been pretty interesting and I don't think anyone has been acting holier than thou, fuck sake I buy major label pop music all the time. Jesus Christ it sounds like we're all sooo punk we don't even have to be punk anymore, brilliant!
You haven't read it here as it hasn't really been on message boards,this one or otherwise.damo has gotten a fair bit of slack from the usual nameless better-than -everyone Dublin scenesters,unfairly i think.As ed rightly pointed out, if you paid 50 quid to see Iron Maiden, you have some fucking nerve slaging Damien or anyone else for charging 12 quid. Specially if you can afford 50 quid for Iron Maiden but magically seem to feel you don't have to pay at all whenever gz puts on a gig.

Again, like I say, I don't have a problem with Damo or Gz, just with the way Converge seem to be going about marketing themselves.

I have a fucking massive problem with Epitaph though.Tom waits and Descendents or not.

i dont think everyone realises how important the work is that damo does for the scene. he puts on like 90% of the gigs. i think unless people are making an effort themselves to put on and bring over bands then they have no right to bitch at him. so feck off and leave my baby alone!
if yez dont wanna pay 12 quid then dont. it costs money to tour and to bring bands over. maybe not 12 quid a head but thats got to do with the band and not damo.
i dont even know who is bitching at him....maybe whoever it is should step up and make their point heard if it means that much to them.

aside from this, ATTENTION DAMO

Since (R)EVOLUTION OF A SUN are supporting now and obviously dont have to buy tickets, (what are the odds there'll be an argument that support bands should pay in.. i wouldnt be surprised these days) i doubt all 20 tickets will sell in Cork cos i was counting on 6 or 7 of them to buy in the first place. Looks like itll be more like 10-12. Do you want me to post the remainder back up to ya?

brianMy Remorse said:
aside from this, ATTENTION DAMO

Since (R)EVOLUTION OF A SUN are supporting now and obviously dont have to buy tickets, (what are the odds there'll be an argument that support bands should pay in.. i wouldnt be surprised these days) i doubt all 20 tickets will sell in Cork cos i was counting on 6 or 7 of them to buy in the first place. Looks like itll be more like 10-12. Do you want me to post the remainder back up to ya?
Hey Brian -

Look, I'd LOVE to go (from Cork) but have nearly no money, and will almost definately have no money come the 22nd. Is there definately a bus going up? Cos if there was I would probably go.

Steve

not sure whats happening yet steve, if its only 10 of us the cost of a bus might be high unless we go bus eireann and come back the next day, or we could get the train and wander the streets of our fair capital after the gig and head home in the morning not sure yet though, i'll get onto the others going.

eh, guys, i was only joking like. i do sometimes still have a sense of humour. i find it quite funny that i am putting on bands on both epitaph and fat wreck this year.
i'm also relieved that they didnt sign to a major between the time i booked the gig and two weeks time..

brian: i'll email you.

I thought Epitaph was Warner now not Sony?

Anyway if yis do have questions for Converge just email them.I did and the replied fairly fast.

spuded said:
jesus christ i usually don't bother with this crap, with posting about bands selling out etc.
............i buy major label stuff all the time, if you can honestly say that you haven't then i'll listen to ur arguments otherwise fuck off and try to realise that epitaph or not it's better than this gig is being put on by GZ than MCD.
I think it was me who posted up that Converge moved to Epitaph.
I mentioned it in a "Its a windy day out is`nt it??" kind of way....
If others decide to read that as bitching about major labels, bitching about bands - thats their problem...maybe they`ve had too much italian coffee and got all hyper or something, i dunno....
I`ve my days booked off from work for it, i`ll travel to see the bands, and i`ll talk to them myself about it - i`m sure they won`t go on like a bunch of children if i inquire...
And yes, it IS good to see GZ putting the gig on - Fair fucks to them.

I`m lost as to WHAT the fuk yous lot are on about!
Moaners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back