Records that sound better on the wrong speed (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth said:
I'm playing my 7" of Souvenir now.

At 45 rpm.

It sounds appalling at 33rpm.

My favourite OMD album is Dazzle Ships. I am on my third dopy of the LP having worn out the previous two. The CD wasn't included in their remastering project.

what tracks are on dazzle ships? architecture and morality is full o hits

rotten tropics said:
remember someone talking about playing darkthrone at 16rpm...in my head this would be amazing.....fuck my made in the last 10 years turntable,s'not possible for me

I never knew turntables were made with a 16rpm setting. Just curious, but what was the point of it?... Were there ever records made to play at 16rpm? Surely the sound quality would be way down?

I listened to Earth - Hex lp on the wrong speed(33rpm) for weeks - still sounded good,
Sounds better at 45(which is the right speed right?) - they should mark 45/33 on the bloody record, especially if its an lp thats meant to be played at 45.

Rimbaud said:
I listened to Earth - Hex lp on the wrong speed(33rpm) for weeks - still sounded good,
Sounds better at 45(which is the right speed right?) - they should mark 45/33 on the bloody record, especially if its an lp thats meant to be played at 45.

i'm guessing the right speed is 33rpm

awful album imho

has anyone said fugazi? i first listened to argument at the wrong speed and untitled is deadly.

Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire" from Born In The USA sounds exactly like Dolly Parton if you play it at 45rpm. I mean exactly. Its fuckin uncanny.

ramps said:
what tracks are on dazzle ships? architecture and morality is full o hits

1. Radio Prague
2. Genetic Engineering
3. ABC Auto-Industry
4. Telegraph
5. This Is Helena
6. International
7. Dazzle Ships (Parts II, III & VII)
8. The Romance Of The Telescope
9. Silent Running
10. Radio Waves
11. Time Zones
12. Of All The Things We've Made

Kinda the opposite but I was playing a Crom Tech record (members of Orthrelm) at 33 and I was like " wow, fucking amazing, so fast and wild".

Then I realised it was actually supposed to be played at 45, fucking amazing band. Woah.

Richie said:
I never knew turntables were made with a 16rpm setting. Just curious, but what was the point of it?... Were there ever records made to play at 16rpm? Surely the sound quality would be way down?

I think it was mainly for spoken word stuff -political speeches and the like. Although I can vaguely remember an opera record we had at home years ago that played at 16.

someone do me a favour. tell me what software i need to slow this YOB mp3 down. i want to melt the universe.

flanks.

Souvenir is from their third LP, Architecture & Morality which is generally perceived to be their strongest. It also features Joan of Arc and Maid of Orleans. The remaining album tracks are pretty good with no clunkers. Quite austere in parts.

First two albums, O.M.D. and Organisation are less immediate but fairly solid.

Dazzle Ships, the fourth, fared badly commercially and was regarded as overtly experimental and radio-unfriendly upon release. It's kinda like shortwave radio meets Kraftwerk's Radioactivity. Two of the slowies, Romance Of The Telescope and Of All The Things We've Made are amongst their finest songs ever.

As I said it hasn't been remastered but don't let that put you off.

The Peel Sessions CD from the 1980 - 1983 era is excellent too.

After that it gets very hit and miss. The went towards a very poppy sound which was fine but the subsequent LPs (Junk Culture, Crush, The Pacific Age, Sugar Tax) all contained lots of filler.

finally got "architecture and morality" the other day - its deadly! much more subtle and minimal than i would have imagined, the stuff at the end of side one is terrific. it would make a nice companion piece to robert wyatts dondestan album i think... (probably because side one ends with catholic architecture...)

finally got "architecture and morality" the other day - its deadly! much more subtle and minimal than i would have imagined, the stuff at the end of side one is terrific. it would make a nice companion piece to robert wyatts dondestan album i think... (probably because side one ends with catholic architecture...)

cool. glad you like it.

btw - I have Dondestan (revisted). How does it compare to the original?

cool. glad you like it.

btw - I have Dondestan (revisted). How does it compare to the original?

its hard to pin down the difference... he rearranged the song order and remixed it for a start (and maybe rerecorded the odd bit too, not sure). it sounds like he inappropriately tried to gloss up what should only ever have been a matte finish. my theory is that he was still buzzing of the sparkliness of shleep and wanted to make dondestan sound sparkly too whereas (to my ears at least) it should really be flat and serene...

the original tape and vinyl versions didnt contain N.I.O. but i think maybe the cd did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back