Records that sound better on the wrong speed (1 Viewer)

Ciaran Mackle said:
Was just listening to Bullet Union 7" there accidentally on the wrong speed and it sounded fuckin amazing. Got me thinking, is there any other records that sound better on the wrong speed?

Mackle, you're going to be doing your leaving cert at the wrong speed if you dont cop on and do your homework.

Apparantly the 'antmusic' sound was born when adam ant heard a burundi beat drumming record at double speed.

c-antvideo.jpg

Apparently Big Beat comes from Trip Hot at 45 rpm. Uk Garage (or Garidge) comes from sped up US Garage (or Garraje), it was originally called speed Garage but once the beat changed from 4/4 to 2 step it was called Uk garage.

Also Italo Disco comes from the Cosmic disco sound in North Italy in the late 70s. The dj in the Cosmic Club, whose name I forget, played an eclectic mix of genres, disco, rock, dub, dancehall nearly always at the wrong speed.

There you go.

Wobbler said:
Apparently Big Beat comes from Trip Hot at 45 rpm. Uk Garage (or Garidge) comes from sped up US Garage (or Garraje), it was originally called speed Garage but once the beat changed from 4/4 to 2 step it was called Uk garage.

Also Italo Disco comes from the Cosmic disco sound in North Italy in the late 70s. The dj in the Cosmic Club, whose name I forget, played an eclectic mix of genres, disco, rock, dub, dancehall nearly always at the wrong speed.

There you go.

And don't forget nu-beat, a genre founded almost exclusively on playing records at the wrong speed.

anything sounds better pitched waaay down i think.
makes it warmer or something.
i want to release an album then rerelease a pitched down version..

g-stereotypical said:
anything sounds better pitched waaay down i think.
makes it warmer or something.
i want to release an album then rerelease a pitched down version..

great idea. i'm going to make a jumper, then make a version of it not to wear if its hot out.

Miss Piggy said:
i have none of their albums. would they be as good generally as souvenir? i also have the enola gay 7" and a smash hits flexi disc that wont play anymore.

Souvenir is from their third LP, Architecture & Morality which is generally perceived to be their strongest. It also features Joan of Arc and Maid of Orleans. The remaining album tracks are pretty good with no clunkers. Quite austere in parts.

First two albums, O.M.D. and Organisation are less immediate but fairly solid.

Dazzle Ships, the fourth, fared badly commercially and was regarded as overtly experimental and radio-unfriendly upon release. It's kinda like shortwave radio meets Kraftwerk's Radioactivity. Two of the slowies, Romance Of The Telescope and Of All The Things We've Made are amongst their finest songs ever.

As I said it hasn't been remastered but don't let that put you off.

The Peel Sessions CD from the 1980 - 1983 era is excellent too.

After that it gets very hit and miss. The went towards a very poppy sound which was fine but the subsequent LPs (Junk Culture, Crush, The Pacific Age, Sugar Tax) all contained lots of filler.

what about records that sound better at a speed in between +8 on 33
and -8 on 45, they are so annoying
one I can (sort of) think of at the minute is on a clone compilation
i cant rememebr its name (which is why i said sort of earlier)

memories , what do the rest of the words go like again?

c0De_n1NjA said:
Mackle, you're going to be doing your leaving cert at the wrong speed if you dont cop on and do your homework.

Good thing I don't do the leaving cert sucker

they say drumnbass originated from grooverider hearing carl craigs bug in a bassbin at 45. they say...

boards of canada at 45 is vaguely interesting, especially music has the right to...

and 'the sash my father wore' at 45 mixed into a bit of gabber does wonders for any party..

Autobahn by Krafwerk sounds deadly if you play the album at 45rpm, and ignore the fact that it sounds like they have a small girl singing.

shitepipe said:
they say drumnbass originated from grooverider hearing carl craigs bug in a bassbin at 45. they say...

boards of canada at 45 is vaguely interesting, especially music has the right to...

and 'the sash my father wore' at 45 mixed into a bit of gabber does wonders for any party..

I heard that too.

'talk about you and me' by squarepusher
and also reversal of man, who sounded crap when i downloaded an mp3 of the same record.

Theres a spoken word split 7" that Kathleen Hanna and Slim Moon have. Its different speeds on the different side. And I didnt realise this for ages and just though Slim Moon had the most fucked up slow droning brilliant speaking voice ever.

remember someone talking about playing darkthrone at 16rpm...in my head this would be amazing.....fuck my made in the last 10 years turntable,s'not possible for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back