Records that sound better on the wrong speed (1 Viewer)

mackle

Was just listening to Bullet Union 7" there accidentally on the wrong speed and it sounded fuckin amazing. Got me thinking, is there any other records that sound better on the wrong speed?

Some old Active Minds lp - the one with what looked like a dead cow on a trolley on the cover - we just couldn't figure out what speed it was meant to be played at at all...

pete said:
Some old Active Minds lp - the one with what looked like a dead cow on a trolley on the cover - we just couldn't figure out what speed it was meant to be played at at all...

That's the first lp,great band, I really should get more of the records.

does anyone know is "souvenir" by orchestral manoeuvres in the dark an uptempo thing or a really slow thing? ive been listening on 45rpm for many years but a friend recently listened and said it was way too fast and should be listened to at 33. it doesnt say on the single itself but its unlistenable to me at 33.

Miss Piggy said:
does anyone know is "souvenir" by orchestral manoeuvres in the dark an uptempo thing or a really slow thing? ive been listening on 45rpm for many years but a friend recently listened and said it was way too fast and should be listened to at 33. it doesnt say on the single itself but its unlistenable to me at 33.

I'm playing my 7" of Souvenir now.

At 45 rpm.

It sounds appalling at 33rpm.

My favourite OMD album is Dazzle Ships. I am on my third dopy of the LP having worn out the previous two. The CD wasn't included in their remastering project.

A lot of stuff I put together on the computer. Eventually when I got used to listening to it, I'd put it up by about 18 bpm, and there you are, fresh as a daisy! :D

When we had a record player in the gaff, (I was very young), I'd play everything at 45rpm. I was a giddy child.

But its interesting to take anything and speed it up/slow it down, you find loads of really fascinating bits and pieces that just weren't there at the normal speed.
Have any of you DJ/Sampling-prone thumpers ever tried this?

nlgbbbblth said:
I'm playing my 7" of Souvenir now.

At 45 rpm.

It sounds appalling at 33rpm.

My favourite OMD album is Dazzle Ships. I am on my third dopy of the LP having worn out the previous two. The CD wasn't included in their remastering project.

i have none of their albums. would they be as good generally as souvenir? i also have the enola gay 7" and a smash hits flexi disc that wont play anymore.

pete said:

thats an incredible coincidence.. as soon as I saw this thread title I thought of that LP, as its in one of my favourite multi speed records. there are very few recordings that can hold their own on all speeds on an old school record player, and active minds "welcome to the slaughter house" is one of them. Recordings like this are catalouged in my record collection in the very slim 16 / 33 / 45 / 78 section. as with all good hardcore (and dixieland jazz) its at its best at 78rpm.
I really want to get one of those vastek decks that can play records backwards. my favourite record of all time is "still rock'n'roll to me" by billy joel played backwards. Its really beautiful, it sounds like a mix of hawkwind, chic & devo.

active minds in the fox and pheasant was one of the best gigs Ive ever been to. one of the anarcho kids should sort out an active minds gig in bohs.

Pinky and Perky records sound great at 16, 33, 45 AND 76 RPM
Although I can only honestly recommend 'Pinky and Perkys' party'

Nurse with Wound: 'Brained by falling masonry' sounds better at 33rpm --- you can't tell that it's that twit Jim Thirlwell vocalising. It also takes away from the fact that it's a remake of 'Brainticket' by Brainticket

I have a single by Un on Stiltbreeze and I can't make out what speed it's meant to be played at - sounds good either way.

CD_UraltSynth.gif

....on 45, it's the best gameboyelectro album you've ever heard!

i saw active minds in bradford a couple of years back
i've never heard 2 people make such a painful sound (i mean this in a very bad way)

"Misnomer" by Four Tet. I was playing the 12'' too fast for months and when I got "Dialogue" i was really disappointed...it sounded like mogodon syrup.

the jackbeast 10" - I can never work out what speed it should be played at cos it sounds equally good both ways.

Vivea 7" by Aerial M. I always played it at 45 until I found out and still can't get used to it at 33.

Oh and the kinoshita terasaka ep by Fridge, well the second tune anyway.

Got to have your love by Mantronix sounds good at 45 rpm. I'm not sure how the Liberty X version sounds. Paific by 808 state sounds good slowed down to 33.

Wheels said:
Vivea 7" by Aerial M. I always played it at 45 until I found out and still can't get used to it at 33.

yeah, was gonna mention that. the other 7" he released around that time ("october", i think) sounds better at 45 too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back