Queen Kong / Ladyfest Berlin Hassle (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the words of Buzzo some time last year during a very loooooong abortion thread:

"this thread is like a pregnant elephant"

Re: Magical Girl Gig Sat 18th Aug - Das Wanderlust+Estel+Sweet Jane

i agree with all your points siobhan about standing at the front of gigs. i don't think guys do it on purpose so that they block out a girl's view of the band or anything. i just think girls are more aware of it because we do tend to hang back for some reason, possibly as you said, because we've been programmed to do it.

that's what was so great about LF and MG gigs. Girls tend to be bolder and stand at the front. I think that's what we mean by a "safe space" although maybe we could call it "girl space" or "open space" or "come stand up the front space".

i tend to stand in the middle and then some big tall guy (they're always really tall!) stands in front of me and i just tut tut instead of moving to the front of him etc...I have asked guys who did this to move and I get the look of death from them.
My wish is that people (guys and girls) who are really tall would stand at the back coz they can see over the sea of heads BUT now i'm probabaly being heightest/sizest and I'll be told off for being small.
hmmm..

How come any time I try to do the same thing, I just get abuse? And then everyone says my posts are too long and they can't be bothered to read them?

Am I really such a fucking monster? Seriously. I'm curious.

jane, the abuse is just coming from a few people. you say alot of what i want to say but can't coz i don't have the vocabulary.

in the words of Buzzo some time last year during a very loooooong abortion thread:

"this thread is like a pregnant elephant"

do you reckon we should start a thread about abortion to distract the vultures away from the moribund carcas of this one?
we can then administer euthanasia...

jane, the abuse is just coming from a few people. you say alot of what i want to say but can't coz i don't have the vocabulary.

Ah, I know. I know I do write lots of long posts, and they're a mix of being happy-clappy responses to nice things and total tirades, and the only way to know the difference is to read them, and not everyone will, but like....ye know. Vocab schmocab. I only know about ten words, I just mix 'em up a lot.

It's just disheartening to write a post and then three pages later, someone writes the same thing, and everyone's like, "Oh, finally!" when I said something similar three pages ago and not only was it ignored, I just got told I'm too angry. It's like no matter what I say, people just think what they want about me, and apparently, it's relatively negative.

I'm angry because I don't believe in validating the views of people who believe feminists are liars. I don't want to just ignore them because ignoring them makes them feel like they are too watertight to be challenged, when they're not. And I don't really get why anti-feminists are 'entitled' to their hateful views and we're meant to respect them, but feminists are meant to be buddhists about it lest we undermine our cause by doing something so unladylike as get pissed off at someone calling us liars and then refusing to listen to a word we say.

Anyway, it's funny because I was down watching the Sea Stallion and some really tall woman pushed in front of me and stood right where I had been standing. I just moved away because it seemed silly that she'd do that and it wasn't worth it, but I think if anything, we should all become more aware of how we are when we're at gigs, and sharing space and stuff.

I think small people who go to lots of gigs are often pretty good at it because they've experienced it. Many a time I've had occasions where me and some equally small stranger have made room for each other so that everyone can share. And conversely, I know an extremely tall dude who says he tries to be conscious of not blocking people's view, and tall people who've made room in front of them for me to stand because they know there's no point in my standing behind them. I agree, there should be a 'class photo' approach to standing at gigs. But who'd be the one laying down at the front?

I find gigs quite intimidating sometimes, less from a gender point of view and more because I'm head and shoulders smaller than most of the room, and given that people kinda push and shove and stuff already, it's kinda worrying when someone walks right into me because they saw what they thought was a gap in the crowd but was actually the space above my head. I spend a lot of gigs standing at the back because I get tired of being smacked into and spend so much time going, "Oh, sorry," and moving out of the way that I can't really watch the gig. I know it happens to everyone, getting jostled, but I think it's a different experiecne for small people who are already feeling a bit dwarfed.

It makes a huge difference when people do those small things, like making room for each other. I mean, it shouldn' tbe limited to gigs, but it's a start.

do you reckon we should start a thread about abortion to distract the vultures away from the moribund carcas of this one?

Take your pick. Start a new one, or see if there's offal left on these ones:

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=52275&highlight=abortion

Or this doozy, Janer having a nuisance of an abortion tickle, and asking veggie punx not to eat foetuses:
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=50628&highlight=abortion

An oldie!:
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=12847&highlight=abortion

Or, on the premature termination of a beloved Dublin institution:
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=43564&highlight=abortion

well i was thinking that we could merge them, and add a dash of immigration into the mix to really get things going.

Maybe some of the profits from the next MG gig could be used to buy a supply of steps or footstools to be used by our diminutive friends.

I'm currently working on a machine that will programme women to stand nearer the front at gigs. It's basically a tape recorder that says "What On Earth Are You Talking About?" over and over whenever they say they've been programmed to stand down the back.

Alright I never post here so hello. Firstly, I think Jane has probably the most reasonable views on this matter.

The 'tall people should stand at the back at gigs' strand of thought is a step too far for me. Seriously, that's not on. Whether tall or small, there is a big difference between standing at the back and standing at the front at a show. A lot of people enjoy being towards the front and as 'involved' as possible. If you're small, well make the most of your diminutive elusiveness and wriggle to the front. Or to the side, behind a fellow pocket dynamo. But don't get down on your statuesque brothers (and some sisters). Don't advocate some regimented class photo etiquette out of some skewed and selfish notion of fairness.

Re: Magical Girl Gig Sat 18th Aug - Das Wanderlust+Estel+Sweet Jane

hag do you fancy me?
nope, have never met you. i just like the cut of your brain-jib, so much more refreshing than the typing of pages and pages of pointless, albeit 'articulate', nonsense.

jesus jane you are a monster!:)

But in modern Ireland, we are lucky in that all music is exactly equal, and you don't have to like my opinion, but you do have to respect it even though in my opinion the band you really like means liking that band is like SLAUGHTERING INNOCENT PUPPIES WITH A BURNING SWASTIKA DIPPED IN ACID MADE OF THE DISTILLED SOULS OF BABY PANDA BEARS. But you still have to respect my opinion because otherwise it is UNFAIR and WRONG and just PROVES MY POINT that LIKING THIN LIZZY IS LIKE BURNING SWEET LITTLE PUPPIES THAT JUST WANTED A CUDDLE AND STOOD THERE GAZING UP AT YOU WITH LOVING EYES AND YOU CRUELLY BURNED THEM UP WITH PANDA ACID ON FIRE SWASTIKAS.

In closing, feminist immigrants should be thrown into the sea.

Christ. I kinda see how this whole circular-argument self-satisfied hatemongering can be a rush. I feel a little dizzy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back