Pink Floyd (4 Viewers)

are you not a fan of The Wall Shaney ; ?

I love it. Apart from a few songs I found it mildly repulsive for a long time but then sometime in the last 7 or 8 years I just "got it" somehow. Its possibly my favorite now (if not then my favorite is either Animals, Dark Side or Pros & Cons). I find the live version a bit er... livelier

Plus the guitar solo on Time is one of the precious few guitar solos ever recorded which is actually an amazing addition to a song as opposed to just guitar wankery for guitar wankery's sake..

This was one of Gilmour's best strengths - his solos always fitted perfectly. i suspect this may have been due in part to Waters structuring the songs the right way. His playing went a bit widdly and unfocused after the final cut

AW man!!!!!!!! The whole intro of Time is unreal!!!!! I've always found it kind of haunting. One of my favourite moments on a Floyd record ever!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!

haha...

I was kind of taking the piss, what with the claims being made about the lack of excess on DSOTM... them you listen to time, and the beginning is basically a slightly better produced, if also slightly more gay version of Iron Butterfly... and they wrote Flowers and Beads...

In work at the mo so will have to check the video out later.

Just remembered my first time listening to Animals was when walking back home half-pissed from a friends birthday party at 6 in the morning as the sun was coming up. Pretty amazing musical experience!

To me DSOTM is barely a record, more like a collection of sound FX and bloated 70s rock nonsense.

For more sound effects and bloated 70s rock nonsense, see Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Meddle. They're all equally open to that exact criticism. I mean if you think bloated 70s rock nonsense and sound effects are a bad combo you probably don't like any Pink Floyd bar the first couple of records.

Great Gig In The Sky is basically just background singers warming up.. what's to like about that?

Its a comp of several different improvisations. It has an awesome name, an awesome place in the album and fits in with the theme of it, the vocals sound amazing and its a lovely chord sequence. It was way better for Richard Wright to have some bird screaming than have some extremely heavy-handed lyrics about mortality playing on his mind.

Give me something less showy, but with actual tunes.

Pink Floyd worked the same ouevre from Dark Side through to The Wall. The Wall is probably the most gimmicky and showy of them all. Dark Side is probably more tune-heavy than either of the two records that followed it which had loads more long tracks and long instrumental bits.

I can't help it if you don't like delay effects tho.

Roger went fairly mad with the sound effects from The Wall onwards alright. I presume thats because he's not much of a musician and felt that sound effects were a safer bet than attempting a purely instrumental interlude.

For more sound effects and bloated 70s rock nonsense, see Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Meddle. They're all equally open to that exact criticism. I mean if you think bloated 70s rock nonsense and sound effects are a bad combo you probably don't like any Pink Floyd bar the first couple of records.

Its a comp of several different improvisations. It has an awesome name, an awesome place in the album and fits in with the theme of it, the vocals sound amazing and its a lovely chord sequence. It was way better for Richard Wright to have some bird screaming than have some extremely heavy-handed lyrics about mortality playing on his mind.

Pink Floyd worked the same ouevre from Dark Side through to The Wall. The Wall is probably the most gimmicky and showy of them all. Dark Side is probably more tune-heavy than either of the two records that followed it which had loads more long tracks and long instrumental bits.

I can't help it if you don't like delay effects tho.

A few things :)

I would disagree completely that Animals is as laden with sound effects... the Wall, which I'm also not mad on, is as well... but not animals, aside from a few non-musical animals noises it's pretty much just music... compare that to the clocks and the Money's insanity (though live that as a pretty tune)...

Anyway, I will never like GGITS, just cause I don't really like the bvox on all of DSOTM and that's just them... and it's pure vocal masturbation... it was mentioned earlier how well Gilmour's solo's fit onto most of the tunes, and I'd agree, but GGITS is the exact opposite; it's one long solo...

But anyway, we'll all just agree to disagree... I know I'm in the minority, DSOTM is a classic, etc., etc.... it's not for me though...

A few things :)

I would disagree completely that Animals is as laden with sound effects... the Wall, which I'm also not mad on, is as well... but not animals, aside from a few non-musical animals noises it's pretty much just music... compare that to the clocks and the Money's insanity (though live that as a pretty tune)...

Anyway, I will never like GGITS, just cause I don't really like the bvox on all of DSOTM and that's just them... and it's pure vocal masturbation... it was mentioned earlier how well Gilmour's solo's fit onto most of the tunes, and I'd agree, but GGITS is the exact opposite; it's one long solo...

But anyway, we'll all just agree to disagree... I know I'm in the minority, DSOTM is a classic, etc., etc.... it's not for me though...

LISTEN HERE YOU

The clocks and cash registers on dark side are no madder than the pig snorts and sheep bleats on animals. they're all just in between song filler stuff.

There.

LISTEN HERE YOU

The clocks and cash registers on dark side are no madder than the pig snorts and sheep bleats on animals. they're all just in between song filler stuff.

There.

We'll agree to disagree... There's enter section of the tunes (ala Money) built around sound effects... there's NOTHING like that on Animals...

I know you disagree, that's the nature of a disagreement, but I would never agree that Animals is a gimmicky, esp in it's approach to production, as either The Wall or DSOTM... yeah, it's still a concept, there are weird animal noises on it, but it's no where near as over the top as te stuff on dsotm

We'll agree to disagree... There's enter section of the tunes (ala Money) built around sound effects... there's NOTHING like that on Animals...

I know you disagree, that's the nature of a disagreement, but I would never agree that Animals is a gimmicky, esp in it's approach to production, as either The Wall or DSOTM... yeah, it's still a concept, there are weird animal noises on it, but it's no where near as over the top as te stuff on dsotm

I agree with you an animal however I simply must take issue with your claim that Money is built around sound effects. This is incorrect. It is built around a solid bass riff - a standard and well regarded foundation of a good rock song. The sound effects are merely used as in intro, a novelty intro if you like, but the song is a song. Same with Time.

ok lads yis lost me there a while back. What I'd suggest is listen to it, if you like it, grand. If not, grand.

@nlgbbbblth ; Piper is amazing. Not my favourite Floyd. Possibly my second favourite Floyd. Of the Floyd eras that era would be my absolute favourite though. The stuff they did when Syd was still in the band was rarely, if ever, bettered. Plus I think Syd solo stuff pretty damn good, if a little disturbing at times.

I don't get it when people say they hate Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd through the years have been several different bands playing different kinds of music. From the psychedelic stuff they did way back, to the more folksie-type stuff of Obscured by Clouds, More and Meddle, the experimental mellow stuff like DSOTM and WYWH, the bizarre emotion of the Wall and the Final Cut, to the very indifferent stuff that followed. Surely theres something there for everyone?

and that's not even mentioning all the ridonkulous saxaphoning

This is like the delay and backing vocals. I mean, they're part of mid-70s bloated rock nonsense that Pink Floyd embody. Thats what that music sounds like. Like saying "I like Baker Street, except for that ridiculous saxophone playing in it."

I actually think Dick Parry's saxophone playing is generally pretty fantastic throughout that era of Floyd. I quite like saxophones tho.

This is like the delay and backing vocals. I mean, they're part of mid-70s bloated rock nonsense that Pink Floyd embody. Thats what that music sounds like. Like saying "I like Baker Street, except for that ridiculous saxophone playing in it."

I actually think Dick Parry's saxophone playing is generally pretty fantastic throughout that era of Floyd. I quite like saxophones tho.

God, remember all the saxophone on Animals...?

Oh wait, there isn't any...

And all the sax on The Wall??

Nope.. no sax on The Wall...

--

I get what you're saying, but there were plenty of bands, and 5 the 7 '70s records by this band, that don't feature sax... so, the vast majority of the band's material from the 70s didn't really feature the sax...

I think they did epic bloat just fine without endless sax noodling... ;)

PF albums w/o sax noodling from the 70s:

Just checking out all the credits for this quartet of records: Wish You Were Here, The Wall, DSOTM, Animals.

A few interesting things:

All of the records include credits for either Sound Effects (The Wall Credits two of the members with playing Sound Effects) or Tape Effects, except Animals...

And the ONLY record to ONLY feature the band on all the tracks (i.e. no session musicians) is Animals.

So Animals is the only record with no studio musicians and no credit for Sound or Tape Effects...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back