Pink Floyd (3 Viewers)

Fletcher Memorial Home is a terrific song. Even Richard Wright voted for it when they were fighting over which songs to include on their last best of. Also, I suppose if they're going to be putting post Final Cut songs on then they have to let Roger have sonething from the Final Cut.

I really like The Final Cut so I have no problem with that tune at all, but if you're sticking something on a needless best of, I'd stick Not Now John or The Final Cut on it.

Wish You Were Here is kinda boring

Nahhh! Come on! Its fucking brilliant, isn't it?

Learning to Fly is a great song. William Shatner recorded it for his new album with edgar froese.

I don't think I ever listened to the album that it's on.

I really like The Final Cut so I have no problem with that tune at all, but if you're sticking something on a needless best of, I'd stick Not Now John or The Final Cut on it.

This obviously a very contentious issue. Not Now John is a load of rubbish in my view. although enjoyable all the same. The Final Cut is one of their very best moments and also has a tasty gilmour solo. Your Possible Pasts is another contender for a Best Of and has another fine guitar solo. The Fletcher Memorial Home is as good a choice as any really.

Nahhh! Come on! Its fucking brilliant, isn't it?

I'd rate it above Atom Heart Mother and probably Obscure By Clouds. And the Gilmour ones too of course. I never feel like listening to it, too much new agey keyboard stuff. It has its moments for sure.

I don't think I ever listened to the album that it's on.

It was one of the first floyd albums I got into in a big way, when I was around 12 or 13. This is probably the best age to appreciate it. Learning To Fly is a cracking tune though, as is Yet Another Movie.

You hate Dark Side Of The Moon? Please explain? Just because its over-popular doesn't make it any less brilliant. Next you'll be telling me Wish You Were Here isn't brilliant.

To me DSOTM is barely a record, more like a collection of sound FX and bloated 70s rock nonsense.

Great Gig In The Sky is basically just background singers warming up.. what's to like about that?

On top of that all the endless repition of words drives me bonkers...

US US US US US US US US

and

THEM THEM THEM THEM THEM THEM THEM THEM

TIME TIME TIME TIME TIME TIME

Bleugh...

Give me something less showy, but with actual tunes.

This obviously a very contentious issue. Not Now John is a load of rubbish in my view. although enjoyable all the same. The Final Cut is one of their very best moments and also has a tasty gilmour solo. Your Possible Pasts is another contender for a Best Of and has another fine guitar solo. The Fletcher Memorial Home is as good a choice as any really.

there is no right answer. My favourite song off the Final Cut is 'Two suns in the sunset', and I like it way better than what I'd consider the next best song to be.

Not Now John is very like what Waters did around Radio KAOS. It could have fit on that album quite well I reckon.

Milan Panic is obviously deluded.

Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and parts of Meddle are absolutely fantastic and have some amazing displays of songwriting and production!! Sure there's the odd cheesy moment in there, but that's part of what makes Pink Floyd so fun. You just go with it and bath in it's excess. Probably gonna head home and crank some Floyd tonight and have a few beers. Good times!

Actually, I must go back to The Wall and give it another shot. Never been able to get into it properly for some reason.

To me DSOTM is barely a record, more like a collection of sound FX and bloated 70s rock nonsense.

Great Gig In The Sky is basically just background singers warming up.. what's to like about that?

US US US US US US US US

and

Bleugh...

Give me something less showy, but with actual tunes.

One of the things I love about DSOTM is the fact that it's not particularly showy. They're not amazing musicians or anything. It has great songs and tunes which could have been ruined by OTT Prog excess, but they're not, they're done perfectly, with loads of little delightful riffs all over the place. It's an amazing album, as accessible and enjoyable for a 12 year old youth as for an elderly music snob.

Interesting aside, I worked in Super Valu when I was 16 and on the mix CD they'd play in the shop was On The Run. Fairly funny watching old ladies shopping for butter while this psychedelic madness played overhead....

One of the things I love about DSOTM is the fact that it's not particularly showy. They're not amazing musicians or anything. It has great songs and tunes which could have been ruined by OTT Prog excess, but they're not, they're done perfectly, with loads of little delightful riffs all over the place. It's an amazing album, as accessible and enjoyable for a 12 year old youth as for an elderly music snob.

Interesting aside, I worked in Super Valu when I was 16 and on the mix CD they'd play in the shop was On The Run. Fairly funny watching old ladies shopping for butter while this psychedelic madness played overhead....

So weird how two people can hear it so differently...

Animals, for instance, is basically jus the band playing, no sound effects, no real weirdness, just the band...

DSOTM is full of the aformentioned vocal wailing, cash registers... clocks... screaming... just, madness... I can barely hear most of the tunes, due to the over production...

Horses for courses I suppose...

Dont be silly. I think I may have said this a few pages/months ago but its just a straight forward album with some songs better than others. Its not really bloated at all, its just beautifully recorded and the songs themselves are fairly simple, some are better than others of course. The sound effects and voices may have seemed spectacular in 1973 but now I think you can listen to it without being too distracted by those.

It'd be a nice instrumental without any vocals, the vocals give it a nice extra lift IMO

US US US US US US US US

and

Bleugh...

The echo in Us & Them is pretty restrained compared to a lot of the delay that gets used nowadays. Also, this effect was not used on Time. I think you may be out of your depth here, Pan!c.

Milan Panic is obviously deluded.

Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and parts of Meddle are absolutely fantastic and have some amazing displays of songwriting and production!! Sure there's the odd cheesy moment in there, but that's part of what makes Pink Floyd so fun. You just go with it and bath in it's excess. Probably gonna head home and crank some Floyd tonight and have a few beers. Good times!

Actually, I must go back to The Wall and give it another shot. Never been able to get into it properly for some reason.

In fairness to my delusion, the only one of those I actively dislike is DSOTM... WYWH I used to love, but now it bores me... Meddle is brill, Animals is unbelievably killer, etc.

Dont be silly. I think I may have said this a few pages/months ago but its just a straight forward album with some songs better than others. Its not really bloated at all, its just beautifully recorded and the songs themselves are fairly simple, some are better than others of course. The sound effects and voices may have seemed spectacular in 1973 but now I think you can listen to it without being too distracted by those.

It'd be a nice instrumental without any vocals, the vocals give it a nice extra lift IMO

The echo in Us & Them is pretty restrained compared to a lot of the delay that gets used nowadays. Also, this effect was not used on Time. I think you may be out of your depth here, Pan!c.

You're right about Time... I was actually thinking of the 9 minute toms solo at the beginning... snort...

Aw I was only refering to what you were saying about DSotM Milan. Some seriously great songs on that album. There's a lot of other stuff going on around the songs which, if you find distracting, is fair enough, but the songs are definitely there.

Plus the guitar solo on Time is one of the precious few guitar solos ever recorded which is actually an amazing addition to a song as opposed to just guitar wankery for guitar wankery's sake..

You're right about Time... I was actually thinking of the 9 minute toms solo at the beginning... snort...

AW man!!!!!!!! The whole intro of Time is unreal!!!!! I've always found it kind of haunting. One of my favourite moments on a Floyd record ever!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back