Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

Dark Side kinda passed me by for a long time, i was just more interested in listening to other floyd albums. Reading about it in every classic albums list got a bit tiresome. In the last couple of years I've gone back to it and found it to be deadly. The production really is lush after all and theres loads of deadly bits, like the keyboards in Time for example, that never registered with me over the years possibly due to listening to it on crap cassettes. The guitar playing is great, i love the solo in Time. Us & Them has beautiful music but its spoiled by the overwrought singing and shite lyrics - major weak link there. And Any Colour You Like goes on a bit too long too.

I was never a big DSOTM fan either. I love some songs from it but just never took to it as an overall piece. I really like Wish You Were Here but its become something I only really listen to early in the morning or late at night.

Ummagumma was the first Floyd I ever heard (the first lp) and thats what grabbed me. It was a strange route through their music because following that was Animals, then the crappy later stuff they did, then WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall, the Syd era, then everything I missed besides (More, Obscured, , Final cut, etc).

I think Animals and Piper would be my favourite 2 albums of theirs. They're the only 2 I go back to on a regular basis these days (I do love the Relics collection too, basically anything from the Syd era is deadly).

A new 'Best of' being released. Heres the tracklisting;

Hey You
See Emily Play
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall pt2
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Comfortably Numb
High Hopes
Learning to Fly
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (edit)
Brain Damage
Eclipse

give me strength

with all their technological advances, etc, you'd think they'd have found a way to include 'Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2' without having to preceed it with 'The Happiest Days of our Lives', which barely qualifies as a song in its own right.

Overall fave is Animals. Also like the live Ummagumma lp.

Hate DSOTM, except for BD/E also not a huge fan of the very bloated The Wall.

First three records are class as well. And, have a huge softspot for The Final Cut.

"The Fletcher Memorial Home"?

In whose opinion is that one of PFs best songs? Fucks sake

Dave Gilmour likes it because he got to jizz a massive slow-motion guitar solo over one of cranky Roger's piano moans about politics.

The Happiest Days of Our Lives is worth it for the line "but in the town it was well known when they got home at night their fat ans psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives"

And for the jock at the start screaming "you, yes, you! stand still laddy!"

But a Pink Floyd best of is a fucking criminal, especially considering how they kicked up such a fuss about selling individual tracks on iTunes out of their album context. Maybe this was part of the deal they came to?

Also anything post-Final Cut is a complete waste of time, with perhaps the exception of two mildly pleasant songs and two accidentally hilarious songs.

Overall fave is Animals. Also like the live Ummagumma lp.

Hate DSOTM, except for BD/E also not a huge fan of the very bloated The Wall.

First three records are class as well. And, have a huge softspot for The Final Cut.

You hate Dark Side Of The Moon? Please explain? Just because its over-popular doesn't make it any less brilliant. Next you'll be telling me Wish You Were Here isn't brilliant.

Also anything post-Final Cut is a complete waste of time, with perhaps the exception of two mildly pleasant songs and two accidentally hilarious songs.

I'd struggle to find anything post Final Cut that isn't a complete waste of time. I used to think Sorrow and Learning to Fly quite passable but not any more. Same with High Hopes. I reckon Marooned is about the only song from that time that doesn't make me feel slightly ill.

Dave Gilmour likes it because he got to jizz a massive slow-motion guitar solo over one of cranky Roger's piano moans about politics.

Fletcher Memorial Home is a terrific song. Even Richard Wright voted for it when they were fighting over which songs to include on their last best of. Also, I suppose if they're going to be putting post Final Cut songs on then they have to let Roger have sonething from the Final Cut.

You hate Dark Side Of The Moon? Please explain? Just because its over-popular doesn't make it any less brilliant. Next you'll be telling me Wish You Were Here isn't brilliant.

Wish You Were Here is kinda boring

I'd struggle to find anything post Final Cut that isn't a complete waste of time. I used to think Sorrow and Learning to Fly quite passable but not any more. Same with High Hopes. I reckon Marooned is about the only song from that time that doesn't make me feel slightly ill.

Learning to Fly is a great song. William Shatner recorded it for his new album with edgar froese.

Fletcher Memorial Home is a terrific song.

Its pretty morose though. I wouldn't have thought it worthy of a 'best of'.

Wish You Were Here is kinda boring

kinda. It still has its place. Its a great listen at 6am in the morning

Learning to Fly is a great song. William Shatner recorded it for his new album with edgar froese.

I love Tom Petty's version.

I used to really like it but I went off it.

Is High Hopes the one that goes "The grass was GREENER!! duh! duh! duh! duh!!"?? That's a hilarious track. I always imagine Alan Partridge playing air-drums to it or something. I love Pink Floyd up to the Wall. Anything I've heard afterwards, including most of the Wall, is horrible.

Lost For Words I can listen to because it features Dave Gilmour's attempt at swearing and also that song about flying where he has the lyric "as I ponder upon this dangerous but irresistible pasttime" which makes me laugh.

Yes, everything post-Final Cut is shit.

Do you like The Wall, Scutter?

Is anyone here going to see Waters in the O2? Now that its getting close I'm getting tempted

Yes, I love The Wall. But like the Waters stuff talked about previously, I couldn't say if I actually like it, or like it cos it was something I loved when I was young. Either way, I love it.

I'm going to see Waters on the monday. I saw him the last 2 times he was here (Dublin). I loved the first gig and was bored shitless by the second. It was one of the most wooden gigs I'd ever attended and I remember being really disappointed that he didn't play anything from his solo body of work.

I also do see the Final Cut as an extension of sorts of The Wall. I imagine it being the 3rd disc/record of a triple album. The themes and moods are very similar in a lot of ways.

Plus, all the shit that started in the band during Waters' power trip during The Wall really came to a head during the Final Cut with Mason leaving and all.

Those 2 albums chart the progression of Waters' cuntage, right up to the eventual capitulation of the band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back