Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

theres no mention of remastering, i cant imagine they'd put out something with shoddy sound quality though. its time to retire storm thorgerson - that box looks shit and all his artwork is shit these days. putting a high quality poster into such a small box also seems a bit silly but then again it would seem to be better value than shine on. i must try and pick up a copy of saucerful of secrets on vinyl

Why does everyone think Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is so good? I have it on vinyl. Don't like it at all. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. Maybe you're all wrong though. Also have that A Nice Pair on double vinyl though I can't remember from where now. When I was younger I thought those tits on the cover were deadly...and I suppose I still do.

When will 'Vegetable man' and 'Scream thy last scream' ever get a proper release?

Why does everyone think Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is so good? I have it on vinyl. Don't like it at all. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. Maybe you're all wrong though.

my favorite thing about it is the drumming - its so up front and cocky, yes cocky i think is right. the production in general is superb, the sound is minimal and raw and at the same time slick and pristine. clapton turns in the best performance of his career (i know thats not saying much but he manages not to wreck this). thats only the start of it. you couldnt say the song writing was particularly memorable but the way each piece connects to the next makes the album feel very cohesive and taken as a whole piece rather than as a collection of songs pros & cons succeeds brilliantly. and there are some stand out tunes in there too with "sexual revolution" and "every strangers eyes" being the obvious ones. then to top it all off you have the magnificently overwrought drama of rog's singing and the self-deprecating humour which is so often absent from his music.

When will 'Vegetable man' and 'Scream thy last scream' ever get a proper release?

probably as an extra in one of the next box sets of all the studio albums... havent heard those for years. i dont recall them being among his better tunes or living up to the myth that surrounds them, then again i have/had only very low quality cassette bootleg. do people still buy gig recordings on cassette in the likes of record collector?

Neither genius (what is really) or bollox

Never really liked em, I'm not a fan of epic stuff in general. I remember getting a lift to Limerick and having to listen to pulse, all the songs are the same tempo. I was waiting for them to do stonehenge (where the demons dwell. Where the banshess live and they do live well)

The first part of the second half of Echoes is amazing - the bit where it gallops along without the drums kicking in to a solid beat and then there is a change of key and it gets even more intense just before the singing starts back in again. that whole section. the lyrics arent great in fairness.

(I didnt want to derail the Overhead, The Albatross thread...)

The first part of the second half of Echoes is amazing - the bit where it gallops along without the drums kicking in to a solid beat and then there is a change of key and it gets even more intense just before the singing starts back in again. that whole section. the lyrics arent great in fairness.

(I didnt want to derail the Overhead, The Albatross thread...)

the second half of the song overall is better than the first half. But I like the last verse he sings too. Kind of a subtle intensity to it that the first couple of verses earlier in the song don't have.

I love that Pompeii video. I got the video of that when I was about 15 and nearly wore it out playing it so much.

I don't have a view on the lyrics. They weren't something I gave much consideration to when I was younger, but listening to them now they do seem a tad pretentious. As if they were adopting the approach to use lots of big words cos that way no one would dare diss them.

Lyrics were never their strong point though. I know what the Wall is about but I still don't get it at all.

I like the lyrics to Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut and Pros & Cons. They all have excellent lyrics. I think the humour in Waters lyrics is often overlooked.

Animals is full of amazing bits.

I was always more partial to Waters than Gilmour myself too. But it seems he can only write a song when he has a chip on his shoulder. All his songs seem so angry.

I love Animals. Pros and Cons is my least favourite Waters album (though I do like it a lot). I love Radio KAOS. It freaks me out a bit to listen to it but I adore it.

There was always something a bit unsettling about The Final Cut too. I do really like it but its rare I listen to it. Even rarer that I'd listen to it right through.

I must listen to radio kaos again when i get home. I havent listened since about 1991. I had written it off completely. Waters himself admitted that he should never have made it.

Yeah I still get those Floyd-hazy student memories too. I love Floyd though in fairness. Especially the Syd stuff. Piper and Saucerful are excellent albums. I like most of the albums up until Roger left.

Madcap Laughs and Barrett are amazing though.

Hmmm, not sure about this. Its awful [strike]but it has a certain sick charm[/strike]

I never said it was good. I just said I loved it. Which I do. Maybe its one of those things were you latch onto an album as a kid and just never stop liking it.

Did you ever check out the opera Waters did? I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back