Peter Gabriel Thread (1 Viewer)

Loves this LP me:

1525.jpg

I concur

one of my earliest memories was listening to it

Those first four Peter Gabriel albums are deadly.
Later stuff pretty cool too.
Peter Gabriel Plays Live is one of the best live LPs ever.

Favourite Genesis
Foxtrot, Lamb, Selling England.

The two albums they did with Collins immediately after Gabriel's departure, A Trick Of The Tail and Wind and Wuthering are growing on me.

That live record from 1977, Seconds Out, shows Collins sounding uncannily like Gabriel. Great version of Supper's Ready on that one.

Think I asked this before but did anyone see Genesis in the National Stadium in 1972? - the first time Gabriel wore the fox mask.
Lamb is live in its entirety on Genesis Archives 1 1967 - 1975. Sounds utterly brilliant.
Would love to have seen it. Maybe next year….

was listening to lamb lies down on broadway there while i was making the dinner - its also a bit overly long. it would have made a superb three sided vinyl album or single cd. still though there are several songs on the album that surpass anything that came before

The 'Melt' album is good but stuff like Biko has not aged well. Still think Car and Scratch are great albums and so different from Genesis.

Has anyone heard the remastered versions? Sound quality of the original CDs sucked.

They are re-releasing all of the Genesis albums in remastered CD and SACD.

This is the first batch. The first five post-Gabriel albums.
http://www.genesis-box.com/
This would be worth having although '.....and then there were three' is not great. I'd add the 'Genesis' album (the one with Mama on it) as the last good Genesis album and then get the Gabriel period ones when they come out.

The 'Melt' album is good but stuff like Biko has not aged well. Still think Car and Scratch are great albums and so different from Genesis.

Has anyone heard the remastered versions? Sound quality of the original CDs sucked.

They are re-releasing all of the Genesis albums in remastered CD and SACD.

This is the first batch. The first five post-Gabriel albums.
http://www.genesis-box.com/
This would be worth having although '.....and then there were three' is not great. I'd add the 'Genesis' album (the one with Mama on it) as the last good Genesis album and then get the Gabriel period ones when they come out.

I bought all the PG remasters and accidentally ended up with So on SACD too. They sound pretty good [not too harsh or compressed] although I still prefer the vinyl pressings.
The Plays Live album remaster is a single CD [missing four tracks] but the good old Japanese put out the full version in remastered double CD at the end of 2002 - can be picked up easily enough on ebay.

The German language versions of Melt and Security were not upgraded - but those original CDs actually sound ok to my ears.

The Genesis albums were originally remastered in 1994 and I think they're ok although on some audiophile boards they're criticised.
The new SACDs look good but are very pricey. That first batch omits Seconds Out. Maybe it will follow at the end.

Next up are the five albums after 1982 which aren't too hot. The Gabriel era comes last. I presume they'll omit From Genesis To Revelation again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back