Personal finances and budgeting (4 Viewers)

I was doing a little bit of energy use monitoring - the squiggly flatline is when the monitor was looking at the standby power consumption of a tv, ps5, Xbox series x, virgin media box, a Nintendo switch and an onkyo amp.

Can you spot where I moved it over to the air fryer?

1649260503254.png

I was doing a little bit of energy use monitoring - the squiggly flatline is when the monitor was looking at the standby power consumption of a tv, ps5, Xbox series x, virgin media box, a Nintendo switch and an onkyo amp.

Can you spot where I moved it over to the air fryer?

View attachment 15574
What kind of monitor is this?

So are those standby's collectively costing more or less than air fryer dinner?
I’d have to look at it over a longer time. Right now I’m just trying to get a handle on what’s using the most power regardless of duration if you know what I mean.

I’d have to look at it over a longer time. Right now I’m just trying to get a handle on what’s using the most power regardless of duration if you know what I mean.

They say the wattage on them

FYI generic electric hobs are 1700w for a ring or 2200w for the oven.

My old inneficient work PC (steady 165w, mostly cooling it apparently)

New work laptop (65w)

Think the car chargers are gonna be 3000w / 3kw if you have a home one - like running a massive oven all night so that'll cost you.

If it makes heat it costs more and the ones that make the heat are hardest to not use. Cookers, showers, dryers, hair tongs, hair dryers.

Technically everything that is on standby is a heater too though, just not on purpose.

I did a wee study in this place last year.

The instant on thing here is a big no-no, its small but it's still 250 times the consumption of generic standby.

1649270767094.png

I ordered these a while back, and did some research too

So i've toilet roll shelf that holds a specific number (24) rolls (yes i made it).

I was full when these arrrived so i replaced them methodically as the shelf got used up and logged the delivery date.

The results of this science is that I now know that roughly one roll per person for week is the average consumption over here.

I thought it would be more.

If you have a really finite home budget you can add

(number of occupants) x 52 for your annual toilet roll quota.

solar panels (6-7), inverter, labour. It would involve diverting excess power to the water heater. I'm opting for this over getting dedicated panels for water (roof not big enough). I'm on the fence about a battery. Not sure I can justify it. That would be another 3k or so.

@egg_ maybe, but it was based on the energy generated by the proposed setup versus my energy usage averaged over 2020 (when I'd have been at home more than usual due to the lockdowns, etc).
If you don't get the panels on the roof, where do they go?

They say the wattage on them

FYI generic electric hobs are 1700w for a ring or 2200w for the oven.

My old inneficient work PC (steady 165w, mostly cooling it apparently)

New work laptop (65w)

Think the car chargers are gonna be 3000w / 3kw if you have a home one - like running a massive oven all night so that'll cost you.

If it makes heat it costs more and the ones that make the heat are hardest to not use. Cookers, showers, dryers, hair tongs, hair dryers.

Technically everything that is on standby is a heater too though, just not on purpose.

I did a wee study in this place last year.

The instant on thing here is a big no-no, its small but it's still 250 times the consumption of generic standby.

View attachment 15577
Yeah but it’s heavy and I don’t want to have to turn it over.

i saw a tweet earlier where someone claims that their energy bills for the last month were €300 on leccy and €700 on oil; and i thought they're either really bad at maths or their house is shockingly inefficient.
but that got me thinking - is there *any* legislation about rental properties and BER? it should be illegal to rent a house where heating bills would be greater than X% of the rent.

Just spitballing here

So more as a time saver for me i've been scheming about how to feed UTM and myself more efficiently.

Things i've learned

A reasonable dinner is 400g
The saucepans that fit on my hob are good for about 2.4L of food each at a push (6 dinners, or 3 days).
Meaning in one sitting I can generate 4.8L
I need 14 dinners to get across a week - 5.6L
So i can either run a small saucepan on the little rings to make up the 800g or do something in the oven.
In any case i'm pretty sure energy wise it'd be a close call*, but big batch stuff is gonna save a little.
Going for the oven i end up with a wee surplus which buys me more free time.
Kinda want to get this down to a 3 hour a week gig.

*we currently dont own a freezer or microwave, the freezer would be a new bill.

hmmm

As I listen to the wind howl outside

now i'm googling "what can I do with a 24v battery"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

no but my car is

I pulled my old nct's to get my year average, you could probably back track that to how much charge it's eating up. Some nerd out there will have the numbers.

The amount i'm spending on diesel a year now would buy me about 10,000kwh in charging..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back