Personal finances and budgeting (2 Viewers)

I've been talking to a company about installing solar panels. getting a survey done (hopefully) this friday. They're inundated at the moment, but ballpark they say solar can cut 60% of my energy bills based on my usage.
Get plenty of quotes. Seems to be a lot of variation in prices out there.

Get plenty of quotes. Seems to be a lot of variation in prices out there.
thanks, yea, I got a few, and the crowd I'm going with were good and patient in explaining everything to me, and never did the hard-sell. They actually talked me down from stuff I don't actually need.

All-in-all, the quote I got was way lower than expected.

Also who’s the company? I’ve had clover recommended to me so they’re getting a call later.

Eddi? Battery?
solar panels (6-7), inverter, labour. It would involve diverting excess power to the water heater. I'm opting for this over getting dedicated panels for water (roof not big enough). I'm on the fence about a battery. Not sure I can justify it. That would be another 3k or so.

@egg_ maybe, but it was based on the energy generated by the proposed setup versus my energy usage averaged over 2020 (when I'd have been at home more than usual due to the lockdowns, etc).

Ah sorry, just read your earler response - if there's no battery then I think your savings are probably unknowable, because whether or not you can get energy from the PV panel depends totally on how much sunlight is falling on the panel when you need it. Right? Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Is there a battery involved?
I'm on the fence about a battery. I don't think I need one, honestly. It would have its uses but I'm not sure its worth paying extra for. The 2 main benefits are continuity in the event of a power outage, and using the power from the battery during peak cost times (ie: charge at night when unit cost is lower, and consume during the day when costs are higher). It would depend on the capacity of the battery as regards whether this is cost effective or not.

Ah sorry, just read your earler response - if there's no battery then I think your savings are probably unknowable, because whether or not you can get energy from the PV panel depends totally on how much sunlight is falling on the panel when you need it. Right? Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
no, you're 100% right. My house is south-facing so I have an advantage that way, but yeah, no sun, no craic

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back