Other Voices (1 Viewer)

Lads, does anyone actually watch the tv show? I think I've maybe watched 2 performances in the entirety of its run on the telly. Is it like all other Irish music tv, only watched by the local bands and their mates who appear? I recall many a moon ago there being something vaguely exciting about it, maybe it was before the internet totally jaded me as to access to music, live or otherwise. It just seems like a waste of space these days. The Irish media "frenzy" about it these days seems out of touch and pathetic, or wait, is Avici doing an acoustic set?

I think you could say the same of any music TV show, which is probably the reason why there aren't any anymore. In fairness.

I've never watched anything other voices related, nor do I have any intention to.

Lads, does anyone actually watch the tv show? I think I've maybe watched 2 performances in the entirety of its run on the telly. Is it like all other Irish music tv, only watched by the local bands and their mates who appear? I recall many a moon ago there being something vaguely exciting about it, maybe it was before the internet totally jaded me as to access to music, live or otherwise. It just seems like a waste of space these days. The Irish media "frenzy" about it these days seems out of touch and pathetic, or wait, is Avici doing an acoustic set?

I'd occasionally watch it if there was someone I liked on it but gave up on it years ago because any band they had on always sounded terrible. Last straw was when The National were on, they're a band I'm really into and at the time I knew the songs on the record they were touring inside and out. They were barely recognisable on Other Voices, whoever was doing the TV mix for them was really bad at it.

Perhaps it's improved in recent years.

Yer man from Hothouse Flowers singing into John Kelly's ear while they were standing on come cliffs was gold though.

Edit: Also, for some reason music on TV is not a format I enjoy normally. I very occasionally watch Jools, but I hardly ever watch the beeb's Glastonbury coverage despite many people losing their shit over it. One or two songs at a time is my limit.

Don't get concert DVD's either.

Actually a mate of mine who knows an industry insider did say that music shows are ratings poison so scutter is right in that it being the nature of such shows. I do enjoy some of the Glastonbury stuff because they tend to get the sound right, at least for the bigger acts. I wouldn't sit and watch hours of it though. Live DVDs rarely appeal to me, there are exceptions but actual band/music in general documentaries are far more appealing to me.

Actually a mate of mine who knows an industry insider did say that music shows are ratings poison so scutter is right in that it being the nature of such shows. I do enjoy some of the Glastonbury stuff because they tend to get the sound right, at least for the bigger acts. I wouldn't sit and watch hours of it though. Live DVDs rarely appeal to me, there are exceptions but actual band/music in general documentaries are far more appealing to me.
glastonbury is kind of different though. I always watch loads of the BBC's festival coverage when its on. I'd also watch back the stuff Sky Arts show from previous festivals (rewind, oxegen, etc), but its not just the music. I think theres an element of wanting to see what you missed by not being at the festival.

Even old gigs that are shown tend to be far more interesting than shows that just play videos. I think the general mindset has altered due to the nature of music consumption to one where we want more control of the music we're exposed to. Thus, there is less tolerance to be thrown any old thing at random.

Could have that wrong, but it reminded me of an email from one of Bob Leftzsez's mailouts yesterday. It was sent by some guy talking about playing an album on CD in his car and his young daughter having no patience to listen to anything other than the songs she already knew.

Its a wonder anyone ever discovers anything new anymore.

i think you guys have been called out by mulloona

Other Voices: A Beginner’s Guide | Pop Life

"some people getting narky on social media see that as something to moan about"

Oh come to Dingle, but you won't be able to get into the church because you're not working like me. Wander around outside and soak up the atmosphere or go to the hotel bar that will lock you out when the cool kids arrive. Why don't you just go to the nice pubs in town like Dick Mack's, which you could do the other 51 fucking weeks of the year anyway.

Yeah, Una. Whatever you say.
The Doucherati wanted Dingle for themselves for a week and they got RTE to pay for it.

Live stuff on TV that's good: The Tube, Jools Holland (At The Drive-In and Glen Campbell off the top of my head were even better than they are on record), Glastonbury was deadly when John Peel was still with us (no way Kanda Bongo Man would've gotten 15 mins of telly otherwise)

I like Other Voices. I still watch the videos of Damien Dempsey on it. And I enjoyed Gillen doing the interviews. A crossover of a character from the best TV show in the world asking questions of musicians like a fanboy.
Conor O'Brien put me off his band unfortunately with his ridiculously pretentious answers, mind. Which is not cool as I love his songs. But it makes sense as I used play in a band very briefly with a guy from his old band and he was as pretentious as they come.

Anyway. I'm waffling.

I've been living down here in Dingle that is, well to be more precise back west near Ballydavid for a year now and there is a good buzz about town for this, but there is also a sense from the locals (which I don't claim to be I'm a mere blow in) of bracing themselves for the egos to land.

There are tickets to be had and not just for bloggers etc but for people living around not many though. I find it strange that part of the whole hype machine of the thing is how hard it is to get tickets. Ive been told anyway you end up sitting in the church for 4 hours, being moved around if you're wearing the wrong colours and redoing your applause etc.

It'd be nice to see Mogwai play in a church though.

It'd be nice to see Mogwai play in a church though.

The new track is quite nice, with its sad The Big Ship vibes.

The Lord might not be too impressed by its title...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(At The Drive-In and Glen Campbell off the top of my head were even better than they are on record), .
This ?

Ha, seriously listen to it without watching it, it's fucking embarrassing.

This ?

Ha, seriously listen to it without watching it, it's fucking embarrassing.

Their second song sounded better

but yeah it was mainly about the ridiculous performance and not about how it sounded, CB is wrong there. SORRY @CinnamonBoy

(at the drive in btw)

ATDI were great fucking fun. The day of the show, I ran down to Glenageary station, ran up to Road and go one of the last few tickets for the show.

The following night I saw Andy Williams in the Point.

That's music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back