Normal People (2 Viewers)

just watched the trailer posted above.
don't get the class division stuff at all.
having said that i've had almost no interaction with upper-upper middle class type Dublin folks in my life.

same with Ross O'C-K books - don't know the cliches he's sending up to begin with.

is it just me or is Ireland a boring place to set fiction in ?

until the Beastie Boys song Mullet Head came out in 1994 the term was almost
unknown. hard to believe now but no one called the hair cut a Mullet in the 1980's.
there wasn't really a widely used name for it then.

We called it the half horse,it was kinda like a horses mane.

It's class division for middle class people, where the kids get into Trinity regardless but one of them can't afford to get cans every Friday. There's very very few actual poor students in Trinity, there are some here and there but realistically most are from the upper middle classes.
I would think Sally Rooney is well aware of that though but was just working off familiar material.

having said that i've had almost no interaction with upper-upper middle class type Dublin folks in my life.

same with Ross O'C-K books - don't know the cliches he's sending up to begin with.

is it just me or is Ireland a boring place to set fiction in ?
One of the main character's mother is a housecleaner for the other, that's how they meet. Him being considerably poorer than her is a major plot point. Vague spoiler: he doesn't get on very well in Trinity because he doesn't do the whole upper-middle class thing very well himself.

I thought the book was great but as I was saying earlier, if I was to criticize it on that level i'd point out that rich people don't care if you slag them off as long as you're talking about them - the book isn't Kestral for Knave, like.

and Ireland is as good a place as any to set fiction in, what an insane statement.

Last edited:
One of the main character's mother is a housecleaner for the other, that's how they meet. Him being considerably poorer than her is a major plot point. Vague spoiler: he doesn't get on very well in Trinity because he doesn't do the whole upper-middle class thing very well himself.

I thought the book was great but as I was saying earlier, if I was to criticize it on that level i'd point out that rich people don't care if you slag them off as long as you're talking about them - the book isn't Kestral for Knave, like.

and Ireland is as good a place as any to set fiction in, what an insane statement.

Its probaby harder to set reality in Ireland than fiction.
I'm half paying attention and it sounds a bit like upstairs downstairs so far.

It's class division for middle class people, where the kids get into Trinity regardless but one of them can't afford to get cans every Friday.

She came from Laois she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College
That's where I
Caught her eye
She told me that her Dad was loaded
I said "In that case I'll have a rum and Coca-Cola"
She said "Fine"
And then in thirty seconds time she said
I wanna live like Normal People
I wanna do whatever normal people do
Wanna sleep with Normal People
I wanna sleep with Normal People
Like @Cormcolash

Is this it?

I just started he book this morning. How far in do I need to get so that I can watch the first episode tonight without getting ahead of where I am?

It's a pretty short novel so I don't imagine I need to get that far. They've just started banging and she's beginning to convince him to stick TCD on his CAO.

C'mere, when you were in school what did you call the room for eating in? "Cafeteria" didn't sound authentic to me.

Last edited:
I think we called it cafeteria? Or maybe canteen? Although I mostly ate my lunch in the bike sheds WITH THE LADS.

They nailed Wolf Hall. Impeccable cast

Just watched the first episode last night and it's great. Wolf Hall was one of a bunch of "lockdown novels" I ordered a few weeks ago. Books people have been banging on about for years but I haven't bothered with. I though it was terrific and am now stuck into the sequel. And I normally also run a mile from anything to do with the British Monarchy.

Funnily enough, one of the others was Normal People. I haven't gotten around to it yet and not really feeling like it now. But then, being a UCD man, I obviously hate everyone who ever went to Trinity, so that's possibly the thing that is putting me off. Mind you, I did say the same about the British Monarchy so you never know ...

Hmm, by the end of Game of Thrones the Dragons were about the only thing keeping me coming back.

How about Wolf Hall with Dragons?

Just watched the first episode last night and it's great. Wolf Hall was one of a bunch of "lockdown novels" I ordered a few weeks ago. Books people have been banging on about for years but I haven't bothered with. I though it was terrific and am now stuck into the sequel. And I normally also run a mile from anything to do with the British Monarchy.

Funnily enough, one of the others was Normal People. I haven't gotten around to it yet and not really feeling like it now. But then, being a UCD man, I obviously hate everyone who ever went to Trinity, so that's possibly the thing that is putting me off. Mind you, I did say the same about the British Monarchy so you never know ...
Ha, I'm reading the last book at the minute and the neighbour passed me Normal People the other day so that's next up.

if I was to criticize it on that level i'd point out that rich people don't care if you slag them off as long as you're talking about them

I take it back, here's one of them throwing a fantastic tantrum about Rooney's first book

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back