Normal People (1 Viewer)

Sorry should’ve posted the trailer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your man is a poor imitation of a knacker though. If they had put their back into it, and fleshed out a proper knacker a la Adam and Paul, a small Bic Biro facial tattoo, is clearly moving mysteriously large quantities of smokes in his background story, then we might have had some forbidden love.

This is more along the lines of "his Da is a Leinster fan, and we're a proud Munster family gosh darnit!" forbidden love.

I mean more the contemporary stuff that rips off American prestige TV like Peaky Blinders, Bodyguard, Years and Years etc. There’s a level of beeb cheese to the production.

I'm not really into Peaky Blinders because it's style over substance, does have some good moments though. Bodyguard I've been meaning to watch, Line of Duty is the fuckin best after all, such craic. Thought that other one was a band fuck sake.

btw I don't think we're saying "knacker" anymore

Just thinking about this now. So, 20+ years ago knacker was not really acceptable. I suppose I don't know the official status now, but then it was pretty much a racial slur for Irish travelers, although there'd be edge cases where it wasn't meant in that way. It was a word that was on its way to not being acceptable though.

So, let's say that's still the case; does the BBC have certain rules and so on about racial slurs? You'd have to guess they knew what the connotation is, and in terms of realism if there was some snooty prick freaking out about his sister, there's every chance he'd use the word knacker.

But there has to be some kind of set of rules somewhere, where words are cycled in over time, and directions about context.

Did George Orwell write something on this? Would there be some formal set of rules in place? Or would it always be ad hoc and contextual.

In District 9 they just made up a new racial slur: fokkin prawns, which was kind of interesting.

It's a good book, not as good as the sales but way better than most of the shite that sells well, be fucked if i'm watching the show though. Sally "class war" Rooney.

Just thinking about this now. So, 20+ years ago knacker was not really acceptable. I suppose I don't know the official status now, but then it was pretty much a racial slur for Irish travelers, although there'd be edge cases where it wasn't meant in that way. It was a word that was on its way to not being acceptable though.

So, let's say that's still the case; does the BBC have certain rules and so on about racial slurs? You'd have to guess they knew what the connotation is, and in terms of realism if there was some snooty prick freaking out about his sister, there's every chance he'd use the word knacker.

But there has to be some kind of set of rules somewhere, where words are cycled in over time, and directions about context.

Did George Orwell write something on this? Would there be some formal set of rules in place? Or would it always be ad hoc and contextual.

In District 9 they just made up a new racial slur: fokkin prawns, which was kind of interesting.

The fcc in the states have a list. I got in bother once for saying god dammit, and then found it was perfectly legal to say dammit god.

In Ireland there isn't a list, there is only complaints and context.

Not sure about the UK but id bet the BBC have an internal guide that brits take as bible

Come on Lili! We can do a live posting watch here
Not sure I can handle the Trinnners for winners sections, I mean I know it's mostly saying Trinity sucks but rich people don't give a fuck what you're saying long as you're talking about them.

I'll probably end up watching it tho

I just mean most people talking about other people

My boyfriend keeps telling me I'm the female lead's twin. He's enjoying this far too much. :cautious::ROFLMAO:

YOU FOCKIN DURTY PRAWN

Fair play to Sally Rooney. She's written two novels even though she has no arms.

image.jpg

By the way Thumped, for general info, I was talking to a traveller and said "I'm knackered" and they said "excuse me?" so I changed it to "wrecked", but it never even crossed my mind that it might be offensive (or even just grating on the ear perhaps) in that context. It was surprisingly easy to excise from my vocab anyway so now I'm toying with giving up swearing.

here in Bogger land the word 'Skanger' was little known until about 20 years ago.
so 'Knacker' was unfortunately often used as a substitute.
once the term Skanger arrived that definition quickly became almost extinct.

pre-Skanger there was no term that fit the bill.

similarly 'Gay' as a derogatory term seemed to die out in the same era.

always amazed me how people who get upset about this stuff use other similar terms:
e.g. Americans saying lame, dumb etc. deemed was OK until recent years.

there was once a thread on thumped called 'Sexy Knackers'.
it contained photos of the likes of Kat Slater off Eastenders.

until the Beastie Boys song Mullet Head came out in 1994 the term was almost
unknown. hard to believe now but no one called the hair cut a Mullet in the 1980's.
there wasn't really a widely used name for it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back