new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (1 Viewer)

I'm nervous about tonight. A win will be a huge marker. Even a good draw though and I'll start getting carried away, and this terrible hope that we might do something this season will go on. Whereas if we lose, the pressure's off, and I can relax and expect another disappointing but promising year, and my girlfriend can stop hearing about the football twice a day (although all the chat recently has meant she's starting to take a healthy interest in accumulator betting).

Sakho could get a game, Toure's back, Skrtl was a boss against united, so that'll be interesting. I guess the rest of the team will be the same.

Moses might get a run, in place of Aspas. The game should be more open than the others this season, so we might even get some football.

Team for tonight: Mignolet, Wisdom, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Moses, Sturridge

Agger's out with a slight knock apparently so it's a pretty unfamiliar back four. Not too sure how organised they'll be so we might be under a bit of pressure tonight. Excited to see Moses at the other end though, I'm gonna gonna go for a 1-1 draw here.

yeesh. that was a woefully submissive second half performance. as has been the case so far this season.

happy to take the point in the end but they completely faded away. don't think they put 5 consecutive passes together in the second half. don't think vorm even had a save to make. fair dues to swansea. looked solid throughout aside from 2 shelvey howlers.

a decent point. top of the league in mid september. hopefully can put on a convincing performance against southhampton next saturday

i know it was his first game. time to settle in etc. but sakho looked ropey enough throughout

It was pretty dire stuff in the second half alright. To be fair, at one stage we were missing up to five first team players (Johnson, Agger, Countinho and Suarez, perhaps Toure) but it's obvious from display that Liverpool's place in the table is equally as deceptive as Swansea's. Sakho will take time to settle, he did some things very poorly tonight and nearly cost us the game with some infuriatingly nonchalent defending. We missed Johnson's composure on the ball I thought, I'd like to see Kelly get a chance at RB when fit as Wisdom looked more like his age than usual tonight. Moses started brightly but faded second half and didn't make a huge effort tracking back. That's something Sterling at least attempts but if he's not contributing upfront then he's a total liability late in games. He fouls far too easily when muscled off the ball and has a nasty habit of giving away free kicks in dangerous situations. I'm starting to wonder how much he's gong to develop this year. By the end a front line of himself Aspas and Sturridge looked very lightweight, and the case for the need to get the South American pantomime villain back is getting stronger as we lose our way as these games play out. Despite Sturridge's fantastic goal haul so far, Suarez is still the only player we have you feel can turn a game around on his own. I'm chuffed we're still top without him but I'm looking forward to having the brillinat lunatic back.

I was watching with a mate who doesn't follow the football so explaining exactly why Shelvey and the curse of the ex was so utterly incredibly hilarious last night was fun. I felt for the guy. All the goals were comedy, except Michu, which was inevitable the way we folded in the middle of the pitch.

I think Laudrup played it well by having Swansea sit back in the first half and letting liverpool run themselves down, then upping the pressing in the second half. At one point they had three men targeting Sterling in liverpool's half so lets not start sayin sterling is shit. It was a tough match. Had we scored a third during the first half dominance we'd all be praising Liverpool's aggression and fortitude. Such are the margins.

I do wonder about Gerrard tiring though. Coutinho was injured, wisdom was on a yellow so Toure came in, but was Allen not on the bench? By the end of the game we just needed to put a few passes together in the middle. I'd have chucked on Allen to give a safe passing option and pushed Henderson up. Oh well. Fuck it. Top of the league!

Furthermore! 2 points on average from away games thus far is top 4 form. Title winning form, in seasons like this. Let's all cheer up.

Ah yeah don't get me wrong. I'm delighted that we're top of the league and largely deserving of the 10 points we've gained, just minor concerns with the way the games have closed out thus far. It's an obvious thing to say but if we're not always protecting one goal leads it might help. Maybe having Allen fit as an option and bitey back to terrorize the opposition will balance that out. A home win on Saturday against Southampton will leave us 4 points clear ahead of the pack playing Sunday.

I know it's folly to predict results but with Sunderland, Palace (H) Newcastle and West Brom (H) to take us up to the Arse on Nov 2, you would be hoping for another 10-12 points from that run. Right?

I expect nothing less than 34 victories. It's the liverpool way. I shan't temper my optimism with mere reality. Kop on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back