new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (5 Viewers)

I cannot understand how Gerrard stayed on the pitch. Again he gave a ball away that led to a goal. Allen looks like the player I thought Henderson would be last year. Sterling causing all sorts of problems. Sahin was pretty quiet but did the right things when he had the ball. In fairness, the Arse looked decent, especially in midfield where they ran the show.

In fairness, the Arse looked decent, especially in midfield where they ran the show.

I've been saying for ages that Diaby could be a great player if he stayed fit, that was one of the best games I've ever seen him play for us. Lad from Sunderland who has nearly ruined his career is now playing in the 9th tier of English football, good enough for him, says I.

I cannot understand how Gerrard stayed on the pitch. Again he gave a ball away that led to a goal. Allen looks like the player I thought Henderson would be last year. Sterling causing all sorts of problems. Sahin was pretty quiet but did the right things when he had the ball. In fairness, the Arse looked decent, especially in midfield where they ran the show.

I think Gerrard was taking up the spaces that Sahin likes to play in. If Lucas were fit I imagine Sahin would have come on for Gerrard, and ultimately would take his place in the starting line up. As it was I was surprised Shelvey didn't come on for Gerrard and let Sahin push up a bit. But maybe I'm naively pinning too much on Sahin. But look, if we'd signed Cazorla and tried to play him alongside Gerrard, he wouldn't have done much today. This is the problem with a 'talismanic' captain marvel. It's very hard politically to drop him - especially when you're already in a bit of a slump. And Gerrard still does a decent job of things, to an extent. But it's not going to work out with the way the rest of the team is playing.

I think 'Kuyt with ball control' is far too harsh on Borini. Borini was one of our better players. His movement was excellent and his passing was all forwards. Unlike Downing, who can only go backwards or sideways. Total arsehole. He cut into the box at one point but inevitably blazed over. Just a terrible, terrible player to be lumped with. Again, was surprised that Borini made way for Downing.

I disagree that Arsenal controlled midfield. I think that Diaby and Cazorla were fantastic but they didn't dominate possession or pace. They let Liverpool come on to them, controlled the space around their box, closed down everything in the final third, and then sent Cazorla and Podolski off into the channels on the break. Until Reina let the second goal in (what the fuck is wrong with him? N64?) we were still in it.

Positives - Allen is fantastic. He made one sloppy pass towards the end of the match that nearly cost a goal, but other than that he was marvellous. Fast, snapping tackles, great vision, ball played to feet every time. He did some lovely dribbling and turning into the arsenal box at one point and nearly found a shooting chance... he's the complete midfielder. Sterling looks great. Borini, Sahin, Shelvey - all showing they want the ball.

Negatives - no cover. Nothing on the bench to give a lift when we were running out of ideas. Suarez's comedy ball-hogging. He is a tricky fucker but he needs to learn to calm down and pass the ball quickly. He dawdles and dawdles and by the time he decides to pass the space is gone, so spins and kicks it wide. Again and again. Gerrard also giving the ball away cheap far too often, looking for the hollywood pass into the box when keeping the ball would be ten times easier. Reina is wobbling. No cover! No fucking cover. How did that happen?

I've been saying for ages that Diaby could be a great player if he stayed fit, that was one of the best games I've ever seen him play for us. Lad from Sunderland who has nearly ruined his career is now playing in the 9th tier of English football, good enough for him, says I.

Yeah. Diaby did actually look like 'the new viera' a few times today, I hope he has a good season. He was being talked up a few years back and then it all went wrong, but he was immense today

n64? is that a David James reference? If so, bravo.

Funny thing is, i still think we're on the right track. People have been moaning that Carroll, Kuyt and Bellamy have all gone....but that's a good thing. We're losing correctly, for a change. Except for Reina and Gerrard of course.

I haven't a fucking clue what i'm talking about. All i know is that Fowler, Babel, Owen AND Heskey are all available.

n64? is that a David James reference? If so, bravo.

Funny thing is, i still think we're on the right track. People have been moaning that Carroll, Kuyt and Bellamy have all gone....but that's a good thing. We're losing correctly, for a change. Except for Reina and Gerrard of course.

It is the benchmark of goalkeeper excuses.

I agree - I think the hysteria from most commenters is pretty ridiculous, and I would despair if Rodgers started getting flack at this stage. We do have some great signings, we are already playing very nice football, the players seem happy, and the wage bill has basically been re-set. There was some statistic that "Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Alberto Aquilani, Joe Cole, Maxi Rodriguez and Dirk Kuyt account for a whopping 25% of Liverpool’s total wage bill", last season (from Bass tuned to Red, I think). That's just madness in terms of what they contribute.

I think the media is trying too hard to generate controversy over the end of the transfer window. Obviously there's some tension between Rodgers and FSG about spending on Dempsey but I don't think Rodgers is going to worry too much about it. In a way it demonstrates that FSG are now properly committed to a long term strategy and aren't banking on a top-4 finish like they did last season. Given the amount spent last year and the statements about top 4 being the priority, it seems they must have budgeted on the basis that their outlay for kenny's signings would guarantee champions league money the next year. If so, they were obviously burned very badly by that experience.

I am also glad to see Rodgers has ruled out signing some shithead. Would be a waste of money anyway, they are all shit. Better to get Morgan and Yasel on the pitch, they'll be far hungrier.

There's still some deadwood that needs removing. The squad still needs to be trimmed. Come January we'll have a very clear idea of what's needed, and youth players will get a chance. It's long way from panic stations.

There are claims on Twitter from a reputable Italian football journalist that Liverpool are trying to sign Alessandro Del Piero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back