new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (1 Viewer)

looked like a performance to me. think we'll still need to win a cup to guarantee any kind of european footy next year.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can honestly say, I have no idea where the next win is coming from. I'm fairly confident that in the next few weeks we'll lose to Napoli away, won't beat Blackburn at home (all the more galling considering that thundering cunt who manages them, Fergies bastard child 9th in line to the thrown grovelling around for kudos) probably get outplayed and most likely beaten by a rapidly improving Bolton under Coyle team before Chelsea probably put Hodgson out his misery.

I've certainly given up on qualifying for Europe this season because by the time he's sacked the damage will be too severe. I'm just hoping whoever they do hire next is hungry, talented and willing to make tough decisions for long term good (e.g. dropping Carragher, selling whoever). My main hope is that we'll have a team fans can be proud of even if they are the 6/7/8th best team in the league by the end of the season. They'll probably finish below that - thats not a big deal as long some of those other things come true.

Fickle football fan in getting it all wrong shocker. You'll all be glad to know I've thrown away plenty of money laying Liverpool of late and it would've been more if I'd had internet access before the match yesterday. Weird thing happened when Torres scored the first goal yesterday - I started to feel all nervous and excited about football again. Fully expect that to come crashing back to the ground at Wigan on Wednesday though.

Fickle football fan in getting it all wrong shocker. You'll all be glad to know I've thrown away plenty of money laying Liverpool of late and it would've been more if I'd had internet access before the match yesterday. Weird thing happened when Torres scored the first goal yesterday - I started to feel all nervous and excited about football again. Fully expect that to come crashing back to the ground at Wigan on Wednesday though.

funny old game. today it seems that, between sending gerrard on to roam free in the napoli match and then basing yesterday's team selection around the same idea, roy's finally hit on something that works. not spectacular - like a fulham team playing a higher line - but it could be very effective, and it actually seems to be giving lucas the space and responsibility to develop into the strong box-to-box midfield general we were promised when he signed.

saying that, if torres hadn't found his mojo yesterday we'd probably be calling it boring and clueless, two tucked in wingers whose main job was to mug their full backs.

recent statements from John Henry are pretty much exactly what the soccernomics/moneyball system calls for, which is good to see - more work bringing excellent youth players through, trimming the fat off the wage bill, while keeping sweet your match winning players (with their attendant foreign brand appeal). the point of Comolli is probably to ape the Lyon system - I'd guess he'll be looking to use his contacts to sweep up promising players developed at small clubs, aged around 20-23, and bring them in cheap as possible, and to provide long term continuity in the transfer market independently of whoever's managing the first team.

incidentally, one of Lyon's golden rules is that you don't buy centre forwards - strikers are always over valued in the transfer market, it usually makes more sense to buy cheap promising talents (henry, ngog?) or grow yr own. so it'll be interesting to see if NESV splash out on some established name as a second striker come January/summer.

i had a dream on saturday night that i went to the chelsea match and we were 2 up by half time. considered it, but i didn't bet anything on it, which is v. v. annoying.

He's been the butt of jokes from others and drawn the ire of Pool fans for a few years now, but Lucas looked like Masch Jnr the other day. His still can't shoot but his tackling and distribution were absolutely pivotal to what the rest of the team achieved. Evidence :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sunderland's result at Stamford Bridge has really put our own season's highlight into perspective now. 3 points off the drop again, 5 defeats already and the bulk of our goals (8 of our 13) being scored and/or created by G&T as per usual. Yep, it's looking like being an even longer season than last. Here's looking at you Mr Henry.

I am glad I insulated myself against hope after the Chelsea match a stern look in the mirror and said - don't get your fucking hopes up son, these lads are rotten to the core. Will a home defeat to cellar dwellers West Ham spell the end for Roy?

Glad I picked Borussia Dortmund to support in the Bundesliga this year, they're fucking running away with the thing.

a ten nil victory against the hammers won't save roy now. i think he'll have to win every game for the rest of the year to keep his job by january. i hoped for much more, i thought it would be the simple things that would transform teh team, learning to defend again, attacking down the wings, etc, but he bought some utter shit, plays raul m out of position, refuses to give babel and ngog a proper chance, pisses his players off in public and loves the greek. kigriakos sums us up. he's been our best player because he's used to scapping and playing a long ball and being in a shit team. what next? lee catermole? kevin davies? man, this is shit, they were so utterly lifeless teh last two games. i think he's lost them, and to stop a player exodus, he'll have to go, and before january so that a new guy cna buy some players. he'll have to go now, god knows what kind of state we'll be in come may.

still only five points off the top four, but the away performances have been aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful. i can't see it getting better.

We're closer to the bottom than the top and we play awful spiritless football. Like you I thought a simple reintroduction to the basics would give the team a lift, at least in the short term, the way new managers often do, but its just all gone horribly wrong.

I'm torn between feeling a twinge of sympathy for Hodgson and wanting him to fuck right off, right now. I liked him before he took over, struck me as a good guy and an intelligent football man, but now I just think he's so remarkably out of his depth, even as a coach of the team, let alone a manager of the squad and club's resources. He took the job - the biggest opportunity of his career - in extremely unenviable circumstances (de facto administration, boardroom turmoil, court battles, post-World Cup lethargy, a fanbase in large part pining for the previous boss, etc) but even allowing for all those factors he's still performing poxily.

I'm certain he's a lame duck and his time is limited. I think Comolli's appointment and NESV's statements have implied that. I have no idea who the fuck we'd get to manage us that wouldn't lynched by the fans at this stage - but fuck me, it'd be nice if at some point in my adult life Liverpool playing attractive attacking football as a rule of thumb.

can someone explain what the fuck roy was thinking when he had a go at glen johnson? was he just having an absent minded chat with his mates from the papers? did he have a chat with johnson first? was it supposed to inspire him to play better by embarrassing him? or if it's already decided to sell him in january, why the fuck is he letting everyone know we want rid of him? the only conclusion i can think of is that roy is a complete fuckhead

I'd say Hodge-Podge's goose is cooked at this stage. From all the soundings of NESV they want to build a long-term project, churning out decent youth players and investing on improving the facilities (new stadium etc). Hodgson, as a 63 year old, does not fit this bill. NESV will want to bring someone younger in, someone who can ensure that Torres et al will hang around. Or they could just appoint Dalglish and appease the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back