Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998) (1 Viewer)

ann post

Threads
Cant remember if I posted on this thread or not yet.

There was once a person who I met fleetingly for a number of years who passed on far earlier than he should have. while I was already into this record, i wasnt 'into it'.

however, after he passed, his friends got together to do a charity and tribute night as this was his favourite records. They played the whole thing i think. It was a beautiful thing. I wont ever separate this album from that experience.

My_Pilot

Contributor
Threads
Website
www.mypilottheband.com
This album first piqued my curiosity when my brother bought it off amazon and promptly returned it, so disgusted was he by the contents. I don't think he was ever able to get over the "I love you jesuuuuuuus chriiiiiiiiiist" bit at all. But I always found it really odd that he was sufficiently offended by the album to actually return it (I mean, his Kula Shaker and Ocean Colour Scene albums are still lurking somewhere in his collection). So I had to check it out.

I love this album. The vocals are an acquired taste for sure but get past that and it's a really rich and rewarding and immersive listen. By "immersive" I suppose I mean there's plenty to ponder in the pleasingly ambiguous lyrics (my favourite kind of lyric) which are also kind of poetic in places. But there's great melodies as well. When I first got it I really listened to it a lot, basically on repeat for a while, and I never really got tired of any of it, which I think speaks volumes. It really bears repeated listens.

Also there's a sort of clinging sadness that hangs all over this album that I am pretty into.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• The Calling
    Observer
    Sevdaliza
    The Calling

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Donate!

Total amount
€0.00
Goal
€100.00

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads