Meeting People (3 Viewers)

I've gone on a few dates with guys i'd met on-line, one was a total wierdo (also he seemed a little too fond of his cows, they all had names and their own personalities that he spend the evening describing) another one of them was absolutely lovely and even though things fizzled out we're still good friends.
the last guy i went out with i'd met when he was getting ready to leave the country (well thats what he said anyway...), so there was no wondering if it was going somewhere, or panicking incase it did (a mess-up relationship that lasts 4 yrs too long can make you a little commitment phobic), just enjoying each others company while we could. short and sweet, the way it should be.

The Gaeltacht

Time spent with relations in Borris-in-Ossory*

The Scienticians' parents' bookshop

Bands

Gigs

That's all I think.

I'd say my experience is universally applicaple and would make a solid guide for anyone looking to meet people.

*No of course not with the cousins, with their friends.

I always found being drunk during the day a great way to meet new people.

This thread was pretty entertaining after leaving it for a few hours.

As for being a girl and asking men out. I've done it before. Never really had a problem doing either until I hit 30. If I was interested I'd let people know. Now, I don't think I would ever ask a man on a date. There is just this stigma (maybe it's in my head) that if you are a single woman and 30+ that you are either crazy (because no one wanted you yet) or you want to be married tomorrow and pregnant the next day. Whether you're desperate (Jesus I hate that word) or not, people assume you are. Screw that.

Odds are against me anyway:

1. I will never meet anyone at work. Just not possible the age gap is silly and my actual office is 2 people.
2. I refuse to buy topshop shirts and wear them as dresses and go to clubs that require a queue to get in.
3. I have only a handful close friends here and they all have no single friends to introduce me to or are looking themselves.
4. My hobby is walking alone.
5. Every one else I know in Ireland posts here. I already vowed I would never date anyone who statistically has more than one post a day here.*

*Not that anyone has asked, I'm just saying.

really? maybe i'm really old-fashioned about this or something, but is it not a bit clinical to meet someone online?

Yep. !ninjaaaa

Website.

The little thing dangling between my legs mainly but also the far-fetched hope that I could meet someone special.

ive done the internet dating a few times too. the real world was getting me nowhere and wtf is serendipity? LOL
i found it mostly a waste of time but better than sitting at home wishing you were out on a date. you can get a fairly good idea if someone is normal or not before you meet them if you try and most people are ok, even if you dont like them. it can be a good way to get yourself free accommodation when youre going on holidays too.

"thumped singles club"

you should add some "make a move" type buttons and space in profiles for more datey type info, then we'd be set.

i usually end up with the laydeez after they came looking for rock climbing lessons, or off on caving trips, or teaching them how to roll kayaks in a pool and so on.

Women are easy pickins after you've dragged them for three hours through a muddy freezing river underground in the pitch black.

I'd say its something to do with Stockholm Syndrome.
HOLY SHIT I'M NOT DEAD.
so ehh... I suppose a ride out of the question?
hmm? yeah whatever. I never noticed how blue the sky was before.

That and hanging around with lads who get high, mangled drunk, climb trees and get arrested, making me look sound.

Also foreign chicks. I'll just saunter up to them fodiners in a bar without any shame.
Anywhere in fact.

but seriously - the idea seems terrifying. plus, if you dont ask a guy out, you dont get rejected. simple as.

Yes, there is that, but the guys must have to deal with the rejection fear? The idea terrifies me too.

it was deadly until it emerged he had a serious girlfriend and a house they had just bought together :eek:

Ugh, that's awful. I can remember two situations where guys that I had known for years suddenly decided weeks before their wedding (the day before in one case) that they had unexplored feelings for me and tried it on. They got rejected pretty sharpish, really uncomfortable.

As for being a girl and asking men out. I've done it before. Never really had a problem doing either until I hit 30. If I was interested I'd let people know. Now, I don't think I would ever ask a man on a date. There is just this stigma (maybe it's in my head) that if you are a single woman and 30+ that you are either crazy (because no one wanted you yet) or you want to be married tomorrow and pregnant the next day. Whether you're desperate (Jesus I hate that word) or not, people assume you are. Screw that.

Yep, I hate that feeling. It's horrible to have this big fear of being judged just adding to the rest. I should have asked more guys out when I was in my teens and early twenties.

I've never tried internet dating, I think again the effort involved would be too much for me and I'd probably be bored of people pretty fast. that and if you decide you dont wanna see them again you've to deal with cyber stalking on occasion.

I meet lots of guys through work but If I went there I couldn't face work. There's far too much dependent on cooperation that it would be too risky if I wanted to keep doing my job.

My parents met a dance in an Irish club in England. So things haven't changed much. Replace the club for a nightclub and the general reason for going out is still drinking and to score.

Well, fuck you too.

no no, she has a point wobbler. If you want to go out with someone you don't want to find out they post 300+ times a month on an internet forum. THAT'S JUST WEIRD.

edit: 361+ times. good grief

My missus gives me loads of brain damage over the amount of time I spend on this yoke.She says I'm a sad bastard.

So if you're the kind of bird who would be pissed of with your fella posting on Thumped all the time I would recommend not hooking up with any of the dudes here.

or you want to be married tomorrow and pregnant the next day.

for that very reason, this song scares the fucking shit out of me. admittedly catchy, but can you imagine the fear in the redneck nightclub last week when every girl in the place was actually drunkenly chanting 'if you like then you shoulda put a ring on it'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've had 3 long-termers at this stage.
First one I met at work.
Second I picked up while she was hitch-hiking, which turned into a 2.5 year disaster.
Third I moved into a new place and started seeing someone I had moved in with. We only started going out properly after she had moved out which was a wise move.

CinnamonBoy's daft idea is genius. I've come across lots of eye candy while showing a room in a house, and the fact that you can only text them to ask them out afterwards makes any possible rejection easy to take.

Women who don't ask men out: weakness. If you want to keep your equal pay and vote you'd better sharpen up.

what about an internet relationship where you never actually get to meet the person? But they send you a hot picture, probably of someone else? Can that work?
its not really dating if you never meet up with them? sounds like a glorified pen pal.

its not really dating if you never meet up with them? sounds like a glorified pen pal.

its like the internet equivalent of having 'a girl in every port'. Having a girl on every internet forum. It rules.

Did you never have a boyfriend when you were young who just came up and asked 'will you go with me'? Then about 2 hours later either you or they broke it off? Good times. That wasn't exactly 'dating' either, but it was good fun.

no no, she has a point wobbler. If you want to go out with someone you don't want to find out they post 300+ times a month on an internet forum. THAT'S JUST WEIRD.

edit: 361+ times. good grief

I just meant it would be like dipping in your own pool. Just as dangerous as work, no? I'm mean it's like we're all co-workers minus the water cooler. Although, if I did date someone off here I would probably post a hell of a lot less. Maybe I should rethink this vow. Internet addiction solved. Huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back