Meeting People (1 Viewer)

Another odd thing I find here is the whole family issue. It seems to make things more serious than it really needs to be. Everyone's families are close by so here that meeting them happens WAY too soon. My family have only met those who were long term (meaning 2+ years) relationships over the years.

The family thing isn't too much of a problem for me. My family have met hundreds of my friends so they never assume that a guy they meet is anything more than a friend. When I was in College my Mum used to do her shopping every Tuesday and I'd walk up to meet her. I think pretty much every week she met a different guy.

The family thing isn't too much of a problem for me. My family have met hundreds of my friends so they never assume that a guy they meet is anything more than a friend. When I was in College my Mum used to do her shopping every Tuesday and I'd walk up to meet her. I think pretty much every week she met a different guy.

I suppose it's the family events. Someone is always having a birthday, baby, engagement, christening, promotion, anniversary, etc... once you meet them and dating is implied it almost compulsory to join in these events. It's like instant marriage. Maybe it's just me and my unbelievebale fear of commiting to anything in life. It just seems so claustraphobic, as if the decsions have already been made for me. It's daunting. On one level I suppose it's very nice to have family around since I'm not really that close to my own but it's also very overwelming. In my experience, anyway. It's just so different than I've ever known before. Not sure if it's a cultural thing or a me thing. Probably the latter.

This thread was pretty entertaining after leaving it for a few hours.

As for being a girl and asking men out. I've done it before. Never really had a problem doing either until I hit 30. If I was interested I'd let people know. Now, I don't think I would ever ask a man on a date. There is just this stigma (maybe it's in my head) that if you are a single woman and 30+ that you are either crazy (because no one wanted you yet) or you want to be married tomorrow and pregnant the next day. Whether you're desperate (Jesus I hate that word) or not, people assume you are. Screw that.

Odds are against me anyway:

1. I will never meet anyone at work. Just not possible the age gap is silly and my actual office is 2 people.
2. I refuse to buy topshop shirts and wear them as dresses and go to clubs that require a queue to get in.
3. I have only a handful close friends here and they all have no single friends to introduce me to or are looking themselves.
4. My hobby is walking alone.
5. Every one else I know in Ireland posts here. I already vowed I would never date anyone who statistically has more than one post a day here.*

*Not that anyone has asked, I'm just saying.

I have single friends that don't post here. That's all I'm saying.

PM me.

at the end of the day, dating doesn't = wanting to marry.

it means hanging out occasionally with a bit of kissing/rummaging/riding.

there ain't nothing wrong wiht that!

I suppose it's the family events. Someone is always having a birthday, baby, engagement, christening, promotion, anniversary, etc... once you meet them and dating is implied it almost compulsory to join in these events. It's like instant marriage. Maybe it's just me and my unbelievebale fear of commiting to anything in life. It just seems so claustraphobic, as if the decsions have already been made for me. It's daunting. On one level I suppose it's very nice to have family around since I'm not really that close to my own but it's also very overwelming. In my experience, anyway. It's just so different than I've ever known before. Not sure if it's a cultural thing or a me thing. Probably the latter.

I know what you mean, again, I think the problem is with the perception. If you're spotted anywhere with someone of the opposite sex the common theory seems to be that you're a couple. It really annoys me.

for the record, 2 tags were removed from this thread:

tick tock tick tock

and

my womb is decaying

I thought they were pretty good. Did they breach some rules or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back