Meeting People (1 Viewer)

your post = now officially beyond parody

Why? That's the kind of place gamers tend to go, which are people I used to hang out with. Back in Limerick some of them used to hang out around there from time to time as the guy who owned it was involved in that whole scene before it died down a lot. The Paul St. one just tends to get younger kids nowadays.

Are you really that much of a prep? Honestly? That's what people used to do a lot before the internet, hang out in comic book or music shops and talk.

So what kinda music do you like? I'm sure people here can point you in the direction of gigs worth seeing in Cork then. That Goth place in Dublin is horrible. Way better off meeting people at/outside gigs. Do you smoke?

Isn't plugd a cool hang out spot that isn't a pub?

are you attractive? girls will only like you if you're attractive.

Maybe you need an interesting gait? or a mysterious slouch. I've seen them work before, usually combined with a beard.

So what kinda music do you like? I'm sure people here can point you in the direction of gigs worth seeing in Cork then. That Goth place in Dublin is horrible. Way better off meeting people at/outside gigs. Do you smoke?

Isn't plugd a cool hang out spot that isn't a pub?

I don't smoke. I drink but not regularly.

Nothing that'd really be obscure in some place like Leeds; I'm into some oldschool goth/post punk at the moment, very heavily Bauhaus, some sisters, Dead Can Dance, 90s stuff like Switchblade Symphony and Faith and the Muse, Miranda Sex Garden, Cinema Strange/The Deadfly Ensemble are on my playlist a lot too lately. Some electro/EBM like Assemblage 23, Neuroticfish, been listening to Ladytron a bit too though I think it's mainly "scene" kids into that. I was involved in the mod/tracker scene for a while, but I'd have to move to Sweden for any culture based around that. I like Tori Amos too, though I'm not that fond of the Dresden Dolls(seems to be the same kind of people into them).

I would listen to a lot of Queens, Kyuss, Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, which would probably be easier and I wouldn't mind playing those kinds of music if I mixed them in with the others.

I think there used to be a bigger culture in Cork for this kind of thing before I moved down here(same with Limerick to an extent). I was at Goth-X in Fred Zepplins and it was mostly empty. I think it's on hiatus now too.

In before not i or that other prick find my taste in music somehow hilarious.

what's a prep?

E.jpg

You strike me more of a jock though

ac.jpg

honestly, the first thing you have to get over is worrying about 'scene' kids.

now tell me more about this Miranda Sex Garden

edit: oh christ, i just looked them up on wikipedia and they're related to the Mediæval Bæbes, nevermind so

honestly, the first thing you have to get over is worrying about 'scene' kids.

now tell me more about this Miranda Sex Garden

edit: oh christ, i just looked them up on wikipedia and they're related to the Mediæval Bæbes, nevermind so

What, they're actually very good. It's much more hardcore, for a hardcore music fan such as yourself. They sound a bit like Dead Can Dance/Faith and the Muse sort of thing. The first album sounded like Mediæval Bæbes.

Plus they have hardcore rock'n'roll violin solos. You can't beat that.

Well, first explain why you found the idea of people meeting at a comic book shop so hilarious.

there's a popular cartoon character who i would imagine comes to mind for a lot of people when comic book shops are mentioned. he's not renowned for his social skills. in the context of your complaints about everything, it seemed unintentionally chuckle-worthy.

edit: jesus it's always depressing to explain a joke. you seem like a very serious young man. maybe i should have added little [irony] tags or the like to pretty much all my posts.

I don't smoke. I drink but not regularly.

Nothing that'd really be obscure in some place like Leeds; I'm into some oldschool goth/post punk at the moment, very heavily Bauhaus, some sisters, Dead Can Dance, 90s stuff like Switchblade Symphony and Faith and the Muse, Miranda Sex Garden, Cinema Strange/The Deadfly Ensemble are on my playlist a lot too lately. Some electro/EBM like Assemblage 23, Neuroticfish, been listening to Ladytron a bit too though I think it's mainly "scene" kids into that. I was involved in the mod/tracker scene for a while, but I'd have to move to Sweden for any culture based around that. I like Tori Amos too, though I'm not that fond of the Dresden Dolls(seems to be the same kind of people into them).

I would listen to a lot of Queens, Kyuss, Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, which would probably be easier and I wouldn't mind playing those kinds of music if I mixed them in with the others.

I think there used to be a bigger culture in Cork for this kind of thing before I moved down here(same with Limerick to an extent). I was at Goth-X in Fred Zepplins and it was mostly empty. I think it's on hiatus now too.

In before not i or that other prick find my taste in music somehow hilarious.

Right I'm going to go with not i's comment that you need to cop onto yourself. Leeds isn't that great a place, it's seriously over run with hipsters. You're also never gonna find a scene for music that all happened nearly thirty years ago. Other than that I'd say go to that gig vovoid linked to and see if you're into that and generally go to any odd looking gigs that pop up, something/somebodies bound to take your fancy.

This is my problem. This kind of advice reminds me of the gear advice I see on sites like Harmony Central - most of the advice of what sounds "good" is in a Classic Rock kind of context(for example people that insist effects are superficial, despite the existence of textural guitarists). It's gearing everyone to the same kind of sound. You kinda do that here - maybe I don't just want to be "in a band", maybe I don't enjoy being in a band unless I'm doing certain kinds of music. In fact I have been in that kind of situation lately, playing music with people.

And the other part is the same kind of thing. I mean, it probably made you feel great typing that. MAN UP. You have someone you can feel better than. Great for you!

However, your remarks are petty much useless. It's basically saying "Jesus why can't you just man up and instantly solve this dilemna you've been trying to solve for a long time!". You're not giving any real advice. You're just being inanely impatient with someone.

There are so many problems with this. First, I don't know any girls I like. Even if I were to be an ass and just go by appearances, I rarely see girls I am particularly attracted to around these parts. I dislike the way most girls present themselves. Second, there's no where to go to meet girls I might like. I'm not a pub person and that's not a good place to go unless you already know people you like.

I've been along to a good few UCC socs, and they either didn't hold my interest or were twats anyway. I've been to a bunch of different pubs, I've been in the comic book shop and the music shops, I've been to a couple of concerts, I've been out at the Jazz weekend, I've been most places I'm aware exist that would be any use to me at this stage.

"Coping on" and "manning up" isn't going to get me out of this situation, at the end of the day you're just trying to homogenise me. What would is knowing exactly where to go or look for people with common interests and how to approach them. I'm sure there is some kind of decent music scene in Cork, on some small level, but it's likely more of a clique than anything and hard to get into - how exactly do you get involved? I was under the impression Cork was a lot more vibrant than it is before I moved here, I moved here for the purpose of it being better than Limerick, so I approached it with the exact opposite of a closed mind. In all fairness I wouldn't have bothered posting unless I was looking for help with this, telling me to just get out and find gigs etc. just brings me back to square one. I don't know much about Cork bands to begin with, but none of them have grabbed my fancy.

Harden the fack up!!!

Leeds isn't that great a place, it's seriously over run with hipsters.
As opposed to being over-run with incredibly boring, apathetic people? Come on. At least if someone's pretentious they're easier to make fun of.

You're also never gonna find a scene for music that all happened nearly thirty years ago.
An awful lot of it happened little over 10 years ago. F&tM, Bauhaus, Miranda Sex Garden, released albums in the 00s. Cinema Strange's best album was released in the 00s and they released a new one recently, TDE didn't exist in the 90s I believe. Sisters still play gigs in Leeds.

The problem is I honestly find most 00 music to be "Rank", of course that'd be mostly more popular music, but still, good music shouldn't be so inaccessible. I'd rather have something go back to the way things were in the 90s, and try and invent with that. The only bands I listed that's been folded for a while now is maybe Switchblade Symphony and Dead Can Dance, and that's still less than 10 years ago, and there are still offshoots of those acts that resemble the music of the original.

I don't like that you're insisting all this music is old and outdated, and also that Britain is just as rubbish, when I know there are at least some scenes for old, outdated music still active there. The same seems to go for a lot of mainland(western) europe. I'm not saying you turn around a corner and find a goth club next to an alt rock themed coffee house, but it's not so painstakingly difficult to find. Heck I can easily find places in any UK City, and I don't even live there. I don't particularly want to move to the UK right now, but still, they do have more geared towards my type of person over there.

The problem is I honestly find most 00 music to be "Rank", of course that'd be mostly more popular music, but still, good music shouldn't be so inaccessible. I'd rather have something go back to the way things were in the 90s, and try and invent with that.

I don't like that you're insisting all this music is old and outdated, and also that Britain is just as rubbish, when I know there are at least some scenes for old, outdated music still active there. I don't particularly want to move to the UK right now, but still, they do have more geared towards my type of person over there.

would you like to start a Catatonia tribute band with me?

I honestly like aesthetically a lot of the popular music from the 90s, especially "Trip Hop", Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Portishead. I thought that was great stuff, and it got loads of radioplay. I kind of wish I'd have been "Of age" in the 90s, but I tend to like moving forward, I'd rather make the 10s like a new 90s instead of repeating.

I think people forget that a lot of those bands that might seem obscure now were once like the stuff the current "alternative crowd" listens to and is still popular in some areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back