Meeting People (1 Viewer)

I think i'm gonna spend all day at work tomorrow on this thread, so much potential.

Anyway, Green Goblin: wanna come to my house on Saturday, we'll watch the rugby then paint our eyeballs black.

As opposed to being over-run with incredibly boring, apathetic people? Come on. At least if someone's pretentious they're easier to make fun of.

An awful lot of it happened little over 10 years ago. F&tM, Bauhaus, Miranda Sex Garden, released albums in the 00s. Cinema Strange's best album was released in the 00s and they released a new one recently, TDE didn't exist in the 90s I believe. Sisters still play gigs in Leeds.

The problem is I honestly find most 00 music to be "Rank", of course that'd be mostly more popular music, but still, good music shouldn't be so inaccessible. I'd rather have something go back to the way things were in the 90s, and try and invent with that. The only bands I listed that's been folded for a while now is maybe Switchblade Symphony and Dead Can Dance, and that's still less than 10 years ago, and there are still offshoots of those acts that resemble the music of the original.

I don't like that you're insisting all this music is old and outdated, and also that Britain is just as rubbish, when I know there are at least some scenes for old, outdated music still active there. The same seems to go for a lot of mainland(western) europe. I'm not saying you turn around a corner and find a goth club next to an alt rock themed coffee house, but it's not so painstakingly difficult to find. Heck I can easily find places in any UK City, and I don't even live there. I don't particularly want to move to the UK right now, but still, they do have more geared towards my type of person over there.

But most of these bands hit their peak in the early eighties. If you're gonna continue to elevate yourself above what's happening around you and believing in this far off wonderland than you'll only end up disappointed. But you may as well find out for yourself, going online and moaning about it certainly isn't going to help anyway.

But most of these bands hit their peak in the early eighties
But half of them didn't even exist in the 80s. One of them didn't even exist in the 90s.

Regardless, that's the music I'm into and I think it's unfair that there's nothing for it here. None of it's really that obscure, and it's a whole collection of genres that's been pushed off the map without being replaced with anything positive.

I wouldn't mind if there was a triphop scene either, but I'd have to go to Bristol for that.

the sidebar ads are here to answer your prayers:
imgad

I tried that. It was rubbish. I couldn't find anyone in my area. I'm desperate enough to use Myspace, but it's more neutral grounds. Dating sites just seem a bit tacky.

try secondlife dude, you seem such an uninhibited individual no one can cope with your realness. get rid of the shackles of social conventions and move there, problem solved.

:D

i'm a nerd loser to the core .|..|

Definitely more of a Screech then :D

Green Goblin, maybe you're looking for someone in too small a pond. When all the Emo/Goth kids grow up and grow out of wearing black and too much make up they'll look just like everyone else.

Basing a relationship on taste in music isn't something I would necessarily recommend. Actually, dating someone who likes different things broadens your horizons.

Go to things, talk to people, ask people out... you have to take risks. I discovered recently that stepping outside my comfort zone can have interesting and worthwhile results.

Anyway, keep trying dude.

Basing a relationship on taste in music isn't something I would necessarily recommend.
I disagree. There's a reason so many couples tend to "drift apart". The argument goes that just because you have the same interests now, you won't later on. Honestly I think this mostly applies. My Dad has most of the same interests he's had for years, he likes football, rugby, table tennis, Cream, dogs, the Blues Brothers, Carry On films, stuff like that. The interesting thing is that the things he does get out of, like stamp collecting, or playing guitar are for more practical reasons -he's still INTERESTED in those areas, just not active. I think the fact is that people shift their interests around, often for practical reasons, new friends etc., so if you're with someone that shares the same interests, the emphasis remains.

I think that's one part of the misconception, the other being that when you're "young" of course your interests will shift a lot. By your mid twenties, early 20s in some cases, they'll become more fixed.

Honestly I'm into some of the same things I was when I was 6 years old. I still think Transformers are cool, I still like Marvel comics. If anything I find I often come to old interests now, again with the emphasising some over others, some just fade into the background. I think a lot of people are the same - likely a lot of TV shows they watched as a kid, maybe Monkey Magic or something, they may still follow as a kind of "cult" thing. People don't tend to change their interests as much as people make out, it's more the way you're wired.

Plus if you're with someone that has similar interests, there's no guarantee they'll get different interests just for the hell of it, because they have some kind of similar reception of taste and reasoning in their heads they might get into the same things you do as your interests change.

I think music is very important, as there are a lot of songs I listen to that I'd consider very sensual, and I'd be hurt if I couldn't share them with something. I think music being important in a relationship is something a lot less shallow than most relationships seem to be these days.

The other argument you bring up is that it "Broadens" your horizons. But the thing is I rarely ever meet people who do share my interests, and while differences are character building they're not something you get intimate over - people are rarely attracted to people too similar to them anyway, so it's not really something you need to think about, conciously. Chances are you'll always meet someone who'll get you into things, and vice versa.

In Ireland too, I wouldn't be meeting someone who's part of the diverse spectrum, this is the thing. If there WAS that level of diversity that I'd find someone who'd get me into incredible new things, I wouldn't have problems finding a girl that "suits" me, because there's only so many different genres, etc. you can get into, and a certain level of diversity would result in that happening.

That's why I think it's just an excuse, trying to get someone to lower their standards. Not to mention, I'm not conciously elitist, I can't control who I feel a "tingle" for, and I've noticed patterns in who I do feel a "tingle" for. It's not always people who have "the same" interest in music, but there's still a large level of overlap in some area of interest, and at least some in music.

Oh god. I really hope I don't know you.. I don't believe your 22 either.

Best poster in a LONG while though.

All you've done is post short posts as to how hilarious/ridiculous you're finding everything with no real reason why. I'm sorry if you're not meant to come off as an Internet Tough Guy /b/ reject, these kind of responses are very archetypal, but that's how you're coming off to an experienced internet person at the moment.

Basically the idea in the field of logic, reason, and not being stupid, is that if it is so "obvious" that someone is being unbelievable, ridiculous, it would be fairly easy for you to point it out, or at least attempt to. People just like to be dicks.

I disagree. There's a reason so many couples tend to "drift apart". The argument goes that just because you have the same interests now, you won't later on. Honestly I think this mostly applies. My Dad has most of the same interests he's had for years, he likes football, rugby, table tennis, Cream, dogs, the Blues Brothers, Carry On films, stuff like that. The interesting thing is that the things he does get out of, like stamp collecting, or playing guitar are for more practical reasons -he's still INTERESTED in those areas, just not active. I think the fact is that people shift their interests around, often for practical reasons, new friends etc., so if you're with someone that shares the same interests, the emphasis remains.

I think that's one part of the misconception, the other being that when you're "young" of course your interests will shift a lot. By your mid twenties, early 20s in some cases, they'll become more fixed.

Honestly I'm into some of the same things I was when I was 6 years old. I still think Transformers are cool, I still like Marvel comics. If anything I find I often come to old interests now, again with the emphasising some over others, some just fade into the background. I think a lot of people are the same - likely a lot of TV shows they watched as a kid, maybe Monkey Magic or something, they may still follow as a kind of "cult" thing. People don't tend to change their interests as much as people make out, it's more the way you're wired.

Plus if you're with someone that has similar interests, there's no guarantee they'll get different interests just for the hell of it, because they have some kind of similar reception of taste and reasoning in their heads they might get into the same things you do as your interests change.

I think music is very important, as there are a lot of songs I listen to that I'd consider very sensual, and I'd be hurt if I couldn't share them with something. I think music being important in a relationship is something a lot less shallow than most relationships seem to be these days.

The other argument you bring up is that it "Broadens" your horizons. But the thing is I rarely ever meet people who do share my interests, and while differences are character building they're not something you get intimate over - people are rarely attracted to people too similar to them anyway, so it's not really something you need to think about, conciously. Chances are you'll always meet someone who'll get you into things, and vice versa.

In Ireland too, I wouldn't be meeting someone who's part of the diverse spectrum, this is the thing. If there WAS that level of diversity that I'd find someone who'd get me into incredible new things, I wouldn't have problems finding a girl that "suits" me, because there's only so many different genres, etc. you can get into, and a certain level of diversity would result in that happening.

That's why I think it's just an excuse, trying to get someone to lower their standards. Not to mention, I'm not conciously elitist, I can't control who I feel a "tingle" for, and I've noticed patterns in who I do feel a "tingle" for. It's not always people who have "the same" interest in music, but there's still a large level of overlap in some area of interest, and at least some in music.

Ah here. Can someone do me a favour and summarise this guy's posts? I wanna know what he's saying but not enough to read all that.

Is it Jane with a different username?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back