Meeting People (3 Viewers)

www.dublinstreets.blogspot.com is where I meet all my people,

(if I hadn't given up on them of course)

you should try it Green Goblin

'check' 'the' 'comments' 'on' 'this' 'one'

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2545109199194853340&postID=3589071403921011710

Hey look, it's I Is John and cinnamon boy:D

Car+Boot+sale+032.JPG

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: :heart::heart::heart::heart:
Car+Boot+sale+038.JPG

Re: Meeting interesting girls/people in general

Have you tried hanging out around Tesco on Paul St? There're some amazing "alternative" types there and they're very diverse. It was heavenly there for a while when they put those anti-teenager high frequency yokes in.

They're all the emo types though I'm already whinging about. Most of them are much younger than me and I don't think I'd get on with them. I don't really consider them all that "alternative".

I'm honestly a bit stumped here, though. The college socs are a bit rubbish, and I don't know where else to try.

I've been thinking of moving to Sweden, but I'm stuck in Cork doing another course for the time being.

Just curious, but are you going out with the attitude that all of the people you're going to meet are awful, or are you going out with an open mind?

The far away hills aren't always greener.

Well to be fair I can't be sure you have an open mind when asking that question. I think it's a bit too easy to blame a country's problems on an individual's "attitude", it's like something that cattlefucker Brian Cowman would do.

Attitude has a big part to play in it though. If I go out somewhere thinking everyone is going to be stupid prick, then chances are pretty high that I'll find a bunch of stupid pricks.

What makes you think that Swedes are going to be more receptive to you, or that you'll find things much better there?

Yeah, but it's much worse here. I know people from the UK and I know it's not even fractionally as bad. They have all kinds of weird music scenes going on, like folk punk and crazy stuff like that.

ssjhxkclsjdc

hang on, I need to recover from puking myself laughing.

You really haven't been around long have you.

Is that meant to impress someone?

Well, I shit myself through the sheer ambivalence I felt reading your post. Clearly I have the superior pointlessly exaggerated reaction

But I can't find anyone who wants to play the same kind of music as me.

at the risk of stating the obvious, that's a pretty weak excuse. it can be great fun being in a band even if you think the music is pretty cruddy.

as for your larger dilemma:

you're seriously trying to score weirdo women by looking at myspace? and surprised that it's not working? listen, top marks for online-oversharing emotional honesty and all that, but how about you man up, grow a pair, ask a few ladies out in real life and stop whining on the internet? just a thought.

yesssssss cant believe you're tellins us theres no weirdo's in cork. far fuckin from it. lots of good gigs on in cork usually. you're just not trying hard enough. theres a lot more to shit than just emo/scene kids and blast beat gigs.

Mind me asking how old you are boss?

at the risk of stating the obvious, that's a pretty weak excuse. it can be great fun being in a band even if you think the music is pretty cruddy.

as for your larger dilemma:

you're seriously trying to score weirdo women by looking at myspace? and surprised that it's not working? listen, top marks for online-oversharing emotional honesty and all that, but how about you man up, grow a pair, ask a few ladies out in real life and stop whining on the internet? just a thought.

This is my problem. This kind of advice reminds me of the gear advice I see on sites like Harmony Central - most of the advice of what sounds "good" is in a Classic Rock kind of context(for example people that insist effects are superficial, despite the existence of textural guitarists). It's gearing everyone to the same kind of sound. You kinda do that here - maybe I don't just want to be "in a band", maybe I don't enjoy being in a band unless I'm doing certain kinds of music. In fact I have been in that kind of situation lately, playing music with people.

And the other part is the same kind of thing. I mean, it probably made you feel great typing that. MAN UP. You have someone you can feel better than. Great for you!

However, your remarks are petty much useless. It's basically saying "Jesus why can't you just man up and instantly solve this dilemna you've been trying to solve for a long time!". You're not giving any real advice. You're just being inanely impatient with someone.

There are so many problems with this. First, I don't know any girls I like. Even if I were to be an ass and just go by appearances, I rarely see girls I am particularly attracted to around these parts. I dislike the way most girls present themselves. Second, there's no where to go to meet girls I might like. I'm not a pub person and that's not a good place to go unless you already know people you like.

I've been along to a good few UCC socs, and they either didn't hold my interest or were twats anyway. I've been to a bunch of different pubs, I've been in the comic book shop and the music shops, I've been to a couple of concerts, I've been out at the Jazz weekend, I've been most places I'm aware exist that would be any use to me at this stage.

"Coping on" and "manning up" isn't going to get me out of this situation, at the end of the day you're just trying to homogenise me. What would is knowing exactly where to go or look for people with common interests and how to approach them. I'm sure there is some kind of decent music scene in Cork, on some small level, but it's likely more of a clique than anything and hard to get into - how exactly do you get involved? I was under the impression Cork was a lot more vibrant than it is before I moved here, I moved here for the purpose of it being better than Limerick, so I approached it with the exact opposite of a closed mind. In all fairness I wouldn't have bothered posting unless I was looking for help with this, telling me to just get out and find gigs etc. just brings me back to square one. I don't know much about Cork bands to begin with, but none of them have grabbed my fancy.

yesssssss cant believe you're tellins us theres no weirdo's in cork. far fuckin from it. lots of good gigs on in cork usually. you're just not trying hard enough. theres a lot more to shit than just emo/scene kids and blast beat gigs.

Mind me asking how old you are boss?

Even if there are gigs, that's a bit of a noisy venue to meet people, not a whole lot different from a pub, and I might not even like the bands. Usually a proper "Music scene" has associated approachable hang outs attached with them, not just noisy gigs and noisy pubs.

Dublin at least had that goth place downstairs, that was pretty decent, it's a bit cramped but you can actually approach people there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back