Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
haha..

A Mayo priest calls out Yes voters in the middle of Mass · TheJournal.ie

Fr Tom Doherty,...asked those churchgoers at St Patrick’s Church who voted Yes to stand up during his Gospel homilies at both Saturday and Sunday masses, before then suggesting they should remain seated for the creed.
He accused those who voted Yes as putting two fingers up to the church, and told us to ‘recite the creed, if you think it has anything to offer you’

p.s "fuck religion"

the same thing happened in Donegal before the referendum. Some priest was preaching about voting No, gave out shite about Eamonn McGee (Donegal player who publically backed the Yes campaign), and loads walked out in protest.

The catholic are doing a fine job in killing themselves off. I'd say the average age of a mass-goer these days must be in the 60s. By that reckoning, in 20 years time the catholic church will have all but died out.

I know some middle-aged people with gay family members who are devoutly catholic, but who are now refusing to go to mass anymore. I'm sure theres quite a few people like that.

You'd wonder what the fuck they do be thinking though, the catholic church. You'd imagine that, at least, on some primal level there is a survival instinct. They're acting as if they're happy enough, or at least have accepted that they're going to, to die out.

If the catholic church was a business, being run as it is, it'd have gone tits-up a long time ago. And half the fuckers running it would be in jail.

Well the very pillars of their faith demand they be intolerant, homophobic, misogynists. This can't change just because social mores have moved on. If a person doesn't agree with their stance they should leave that church and find one that suits.

It's all been downhill since they started saying Mass in the vernacular.

Well the very pillars of their faith demand they be intolerant, homophobic, misogynists. This can't change just because social mores have moved on. If a person doesn't agree with their stance they should leave that church and find one that suits.

It's all been downhill since they started saying Mass in the vernacular.
they said they're going to defer any comment or stance on whether they'll comply with the civil side of marriage once the legislation is finally framed. At that point I hope they come out (sic) and tell people won't kow-tow to their antiquated bullshit, to jog on.

At this stage not even half the priests out there agree with the bolloxology coming from the vatican.

the same thing happened in Donegal before the referendum. Some priest was preaching about voting No, gave out shite about Eamonn McGee (Donegal player who publically backed the Yes campaign), and loads walked out in protest.

Met him about a week before this. Everyone telling me how great he was because he had a few words of Irish and then looking at me like i just kicked a kitten because I mentioned that the church has been doing phonetics for a long time (he's been stationed there from a parish in a far away country). I suppose the worst thing would be that when I met him, there was an openly gay dude in the room, who would have been at that mass. Fair play to McGee - ballsy move.

this reminds me of the recurrent 'how dare you call us homophobes' conversation

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this is hilarious

Referendum challenger says objection not an ‘anti-gay’ issue
State argues applicants have no grounds on which leave to bring a petition can be granted
image.jpg

The Government recently announced it will fast-track legislation to allow for same-sex marriage by early autumn. Photograph: Cyril Byrne/The Irish Times

Mary Carolan

Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 13:33

First published: Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 12:02

A man seeking leave to challenge the same sex marriage referendum result has told the High Court this “is not an anti-gay issue” but about a failure to adhere to fair procedures in the referendum process.

Gerry Walshe, Lisdeen, Co Clare, said he believed monies for Yes posters of the Fine Gael and Labour government parties had come from the central fund.

It was “obvious” monies were used to promote a Yes vote in breach of the McKenna principles prohibiting the use of public monies to advocate for one side in a referendum, he argued.

He also argued the State had failed to deliver the proposed amendment bill to post offices around the country prior to the May 22nd referendum.

When Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns said there was no obligation to deliver the bill to post offices, Mr Walshe said he was not aware of that and had been unable to access the internet to research that point as there were difficulties with internet access in Co Clare.

Mr Walshe, an electrician, and Maurice J Lyons, a gardener, with an address in Callan, Co Kilkenny, are both seeking leave of the court to bring separate petitions challenging the Yes vote in last month’s referendum.

Under the 1994 Referendum Act 1994, a person seeking leave to bring a petition is required to show grounds supporting claims the referendum was materially affected by some interference, act or conduct in breach of the 1994 Act.

The State, represented by Richard Humphreys SC, is opposing the applications and has argued the applicants have established no grounds on which leave to bring a petition can be granted. Brian Murray SC is representing the Referendum Commission.

The court heard the State is concerned to have the challenges speedily decided on grounds including that there may be same sex couples who are anxious to get married soon because one of them is seriously ill.

In his arguments today, Mr Walshe said the respondents failed to act impartially in the referendum process and had denied the Irish people an impartial referendum. He had noted that in Co Clare there were seven to ten times more Yes posters than No posters, he added.

He also argued that certain identification features on polling cards should have been removed.

The judge will hear arguments from Mr Lyons concerning his separate application later this afternoon.

Both men had earlier sought to have their applications adjourned to a later date to allow them consider the submissions and affidavits from the State. The judge refused the adjournment on grounds including both men had been given time to read the documents and because the matter was urgent.

that post office argument - MEGAFUCKINGLOLZ

Challenge to same sex marriage result rejected

Both Mr Walshe and Mr Lyons opposed applications by the State and Referendum Commission for costs against them on grounds they brought their applications on behalf of the people and the national interest.

The judge ruled there were no exceptional circumstances in this case which would allow costs not be awarded against the applicants. He added he might have come to a different conclusion had a significant point been raised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back