Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She married Fionnan Sheahan, definitely a black mark against her.

Outside of that, I think she's acted far too hastily here and may come to regret it unless she joins another party- if she runs and succeeds as an independent she'll be languishing on the backbenches while FF move on up, she certainly seems driven so I'm not sure how satisfying that would be for her.
Other parties- Sinn Fein is a no no unless she wants a divorce/jobless husband. Labour already have Ivana Bacik and I don't think they could carry another similar politician, especially ahead of their likely demolition come the next G.E. Fine Gael is a possibility, Jerry Buttimer (I think it was him anyway) sounded receptive to the idea when it was thrown at him on S O'R and they do have a fondness for 'celebrity' candidates, stealing A.P. might appeal to them. Which leaves Renua, it might seem far fetched but I wouldn't be at all surprised if John Drennan was onto her within the week, it would be a bit of a coup and would soften their image somewhat.
seems like she might not run in the next election at all. I would have thought she'd be a shoe-in somewhere given the gender quotas.

I think its irrelevant who she's married to. Enda Kenny married a Fianna Fail lady. I've never detected any overlap or visible conflicts of interest in terms of Power and Sheahan and the views they express or opinions they hold. I'd imagine they've laid down the law with each other in terms of separating out professional and personal lives.

Yeah, which has my adoptive parents' names on it and functions exactly the same as a birth cert in situations where one might be required.

My objection to it is that I think both parties in an adoption have a right to privacy and a right to be left alone. I've met my biologicals but initial contact was made though a social worker who said that people were looking to meet me and I was able to decide. If some randomer had turned up on my doorstep demanding my attention or some sort of relationship I'd have been furious.

When I was getting married I had to get a birth cert - the lady in the registry office said that I had to request it that as I was adopted she couldn't just pull it up on the puter.

I was pretty nervous...anyway the cert arrived identical to the one I have already.

I think the right should exist.

I won't be availing of it though - I have zero curiosity.

my dad was born in bessborough and has been trying for years to track down his biological relatives...trawling through birth records to narrow down the list of possible women who might have been his mother (with the possibility that the name he thinks was hers was a false one), several DNA tests (not cheap), a trip to london to meet a possible half-brother (came to nothing), meeting other possible families who turned out not to be relations, driving around the country doing detective work. she's almost certainly dead by now but he just wants to know where he came from (we thought he might turn out to be a dub for a while there :eek: ). all of that could have been avoided. every possible family that turns out to be a dead end is a kick in the guts and he gets upset and anxious and can't deal with trying again for another 6 months or a year or more.

my dad was born in bessborough and has been trying for years to track down his biological relatives...trawling through birth records to narrow down the list of possible women who might have been his mother (with the possibility that the name he thinks was hers was a false one), several DNA tests (not cheap), a trip to london to meet a possible half-brother (came to nothing), meeting other possible families who turned out not to be relations, driving around the country doing detective work. she's almost certainly dead by now but he just wants to know where he came from (we thought he might turn out to be a dub for a while there :eek: ). all of that could have been avoided. every possible family that turns out to be a dead end is a kick in the guts and he gets upset and anxious and can't deal with trying again for another 6 months or a year or more.

Where do you think a line should be drawn? What if the mother wanted nothing to do with the child they gave up for adoption?

yes, fianna fail is the catch-all party here.

----
the person in work who voted no was giving out
- we were all sheeple for voting yes
- the government will move to ban couples from having their own children as same sex couples can't.
- we're just showing off by voting yes
- slippery slope and this will lead to other stuff (i previously mentioned his view that this will lead to people marrying dogs and trees)

Woman in work was saying, and this is pretty much word for word "I'm not against it really but it'll lead to biological parents having no rights to their kids. Marriage will trump biology. Lawyers wanted it passed because they're going to make a fortune (she didn't really explain this one). The Yes Side were aggressive bullies"

I tried explaining how it wasn't going to affect adoption rights or surrogacy and the like but it was falling on deaf ears.

Woman in work was saying, and this is pretty much word for word "I'm not against it really but it'll lead to biological parents having no rights to their kids. Marriage will trump biology. Lawyers wanted it passed because they're going to make a fortune (she didn't really explain this one). The Yes Side were aggressive bullies"

I tried explaining how it wasn't going to affect adoption rights or surrogacy and the like but it was falling on deaf ears.

Didn't straight marriage already trump biology?

She sounds great. We've had a few people 'worried' about the children in here this week as well.

Didn't straight marriage already trump biology?

She sounds great. We've had a few people 'worried' about the children in here this week as well.

It was a bit John Watersesque alright. Maybe I'm wrong here but if a couple or a single parent are bringing up a child without any input from the biological parents then how much rights should those biological parents really have?

Also, her beef was that children will be forbidden from finding out who their biological parents are. Because of the marriage referendum and the children's bill. But as @nooly has shown us that was happening way before same sex marriage was even a concept.

seems like she might not run in the next election at all. I would have thought she'd be a shoe-in somewhere given the gender quotas.

I think its irrelevant who she's married to. Enda Kenny married a Fianna Fail lady. I've never detected any overlap or visible conflicts of interest in terms of Power and Sheahan and the views they express or opinions they hold. I'd imagine they've laid down the law with each other in terms of separating out professional and personal lives.

Yeah, she was on S O'R this morning and didn't sound too enthusiastic about running again. Maybe she just needs a break from it all for a few weeks, she didn't come across too well (although Collins didn't come up smelling of roses either).
I was taking the piss with my initial remark regarding her marriage to Sheahan and I'm sure they do separate the professional and personal, still though, I would be extremely surprised if she went to SF, it would leave both of them in an extremely awkward position.

I wouldn't have discounted B earlier but its been a pretty vitriolic split. Can't see her going/being invited back so long as the old boys are still influential.

Jim 'wrong way down a one way street' Mc Daid has been in and out of fianna fail all his life. Oddly when he is out he still oversees the elections so far as i can tell. Anecdotally i've heard they treat women like shit though. It mightexplain mary lou.

Jim 'wrong way down a one way street' Mc Daid has been in and out of fianna fail all his life. Oddly when he is out he still oversees the elections so far as i can tell. Anecdotally i've heard they treat women like shit though. It mightexplain mary lou.

You're far too charitable to McDaid.
If true they'll have to smarten up if they want to stay on the right side of these quotas.

Conservative commentator and political advisor Grahame Morris has produced an extraordinary anti-Irish rant in a TV discussion about same-sex marriage.

"these are people who can’t grow potatoes, who have a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol and they can’t verbalise the difference between tree and the number three. And then all of a sudden, Australia has to follow suit.”

Liberal Party advisor’s anti-Irish TV rant | Irish Echo

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back