Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse has Died (1 Viewer)

Can't seem to access it now, but Steve Albini paid a nice tribute to him over on his message board, www.electrical.com

This is what he wrote.

Steve Albini said:
I only worked with Mark for a couple of weeks, but he was as open, sincere and unaffected a person as I've ever encountered. He was completely unguarded and enthusiastic about the things he loved, and he gave the musicians he worked with freedom to be creative and excel. Prior to seeing him at work I'd never given his music much thought, but during those sessions he impressed me tremendously and I was really looking forward to seeing him again and finishing the record.

I have no idea what brought Mark to this decision, and I'm sure there's nothing I can say that will enlighten anybody about his death. I just wanted to say I thought he was a good dude and his art was genuine. I don't think there's a lot more you can ever ask of anybody.

vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot getting a go today. don't listen to sparklehorse nearly enough.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

likewise...

It's a real shame that Mark's production style, that seemed so natural for the first two albums, then became "a thing" that other people wanted and wanted in on. Kind of like when Hollywood puts some comedian in a big budget film and just gets them to "do your thing", totally diluting and ruining it. His third album suffered, fucking special guests etc.

Couldn't agree less. It's A Wonderful Life was an absolutely outstanding album! And it also had one of the most beautiful hidden tracks on it ever.

Total agreement! Probably my favourite Sparklehorse album. Not mad about the Tom Waits track though.

Hidden track is Morning Hollow (see above). He played it at his very last Whelans gig, unrehearsed, cause the audience kept lookin' for more. It was beautiful.

cannot believe somebody would suggest skipping the first song on this!

the lyrics (hence my sig below),the mellotron,the "lost in space" synth bleeps

it's an incredible song!

this is my favourite of the later stuff

I love it now, but when getting into the album back in the day I had to skip it as I found it hard going. Helpful suggestion for Anthony is all.

I agree with skipping the first song. I've found it a massive barrier to the album.
Also as it goes on the animal mentions get louder ad louder to me to the point that it's all I can hear.

I guess I was already a hardened fan when I heard it,so maybe that skews my perspective a bit,but to me that's like skipping "on the run" on DSOTM...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back