manhunter vs. red dragon (1 Viewer)

Super Dexta

having now seen both, i have to say i don't understand the people who go on about manhunter being so great. i *adore* red dragon, and i didn't like manhunter at all. any fans of it care to argue with me?

Liadain said:
having now seen both, i have to say i don't understand the people who go on about manhunter being so great. i *adore* red dragon, and i didn't like manhunter at all. any fans of it care to argue with me?
I haven't seen Red Dragon
but Manhunter was very enjoyable - not seen it in about 8/9 years though

Hannibal pretty good but nowhere as good as Silence of The Lambs

The Keep is not a keeper

hannibal is a bit shit really, i can't put my finger on why though... you know when you really don't like the "feel" of a film... well I really don't like the feel of hannibal, or manhunter. love s.o.t.l. and red dragon though. the opening credit sequence of red dragon is one of my favourite opening sequences of a film ever. though, on consideration, not as good as alien3.

I've not watched manhunter in years, remember thinking it was very good. Thought red dragon was good but not amazing. Hannibal is pretty poor, way better than the book though. Anyone read the book? what a bag of crap, starts off ok but by the halfway point it just decends into silliness.

Heat is fuckin brilliant.

i think the reason hannibal was so shit was cos they killed ray liotta in it.

Liadain said:
I thought Manhunter was much better, mainly cos Tom Noonan was a far superior Dollarhyde to Ralph Fiennes, who was a bit crap really. I also think as a director, Brett Ratner is not in the same league as Michael Mann. OK so Manhunter looks a bit like a pilot for Miami Vice, but still...

As for the Hopkins v Cox debate, I'm kind of on the fence. I loved Hopkins in SOTL but I think Cox is a lot more subtle - he doesn't come accross as a complete weirdo like Hopkins does, which is kind of the point. Hannibal's meant to be charming. Hopkins has a bit of pantomime villainary about his performance, but you can't beat the scene in the ambulance when he peels Sgt Pembry's face off his own... .|..|

Catwoman said:
Hopkins has a bit of pantomime villainary about his performance,

Yeah, that was one of my problems with Hannibal, both the book and the film. And the ending didn't seem true to Starling 's character. I only saw Red Dragon recently (and only about half of it) but I thought it was alot better than poxy Hannibal. The thing I remember best about 'Manhunter' was the intrusive background music and lovely Miami Vice style fashions.

manhunter. cox is way better, far more subtle, i cant take hopkins seriously. cox freaked me out, tom noonan was better too...
i kinda like the 80s feel. i dunno, but the sterile affluence and cheesy synth seems deliberate- the whole modern yuppie world of slick suits and beach-side resorts was the epitome of the capitalist, american lifestyle. the shrink was a big part of that, every rich young 80s yuppie had their analyst or whatever. when the shrink turns out to be a calculating psychotic cannibal it turns the whole lifestyle into a warped nightmare.
add to that the dragon, a lonely ugly man who slaughters beautiful young suburban families - like yer FBI man's - and its a kickass psych thriller with a neat social commentary.
didnt see any of that in Red Dragon.

Juno said:
Yeah, that was one of my problems with Hannibal, both the book and the film. And the ending didn't seem true to Starling 's character. I only saw Red Dragon recently (and only about half of it) but I thought it was alot better than poxy Hannibal. The thing I remember best about 'Manhunter' was the intrusive background music and lovely Miami Vice style fashions.
I had to re-read the ending of Hannibal again and again cos I thought 'this is a joke, right?'

The music in Manhunter does see very dated now, but it was a product of its time. The In Gadda da Vida scene was class though!

B for the Spree said:
every rich young 80s yuppie had their analyst or whatever. when the shrink turns out to be a calculating psychotic cannibal it turns the whole lifestyle into a warped nightmare.
add to that the dragon, a lonely ugly man who slaughters beautiful young suburban families - like yer FBI man's - and its a kickass psych thriller with a neat social commentary.

Never thought of it like that, good point. And yes, Red Dragon certainly lacked that element.

I got the feeling that Hannibal was Harris's way of saying 'enough now with this Hannibal shit, I don't want to write any more'. Pity...

J.T.S.Brown said:
Speakin' o' turds:
shush you. it's david fincher. some of the stretchy camera stuff is shit, some of the aliens look REALLY shit, but i love alien films, i love david fincher, i can't go wrong with alien 3 really.

i need to watch manhunter again. i tawt ralph fiennes was way better than your man though... and huge tattoos.. you can't go wrong with huge tattoos either.

nlgbbbblth said:
Alien Resurrection - not good
Alien3 - ok. gets better with repeated viewings
Alien 3 would have been so much better if they'd gone with Giger's redesign of the alien -- it's weird cause i remember being in forbidden planet when 3 would've been in production and seeing the preview poster of an egg over earth. that seriously would've been the way to go. or at least go with the dark horse story which revolved around newt and hicks but had all these creepy flashes to stuff going on on earth -- like people worshipping the aliens

Alien Resurrection i liked a lot more actually even though its possibly the most reviled of the series. that actually did take some stuff from the comic and ron pearlman was fucking awesome.
but the alien hybred baby was a joke
as was the ripley riding the alien scene=!?!

have read the first few reviews of AvP and it looks like everyones worst fears realised. a PG Alien movie -- which fucks with everything established in all previous movies -- it's set in present day -- lance henriksen plays the creator of bishop again -- facehugger to chestburster only takes a couple of minutes -

i think they should have called it Teen Predator
where the class nerd is playing basketball one day- someone body checks him and he turns into a slam-dunking predator

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back