LIONEL MESSI (2 Viewers)

what leo has in common with diego is he's the shining light in an average argentina team. if hecan drag them to this final, and the next, then he's as good as diego. of course, diego had to wait til he was 25 to win the world cup. But really, at 22, with his medal collection, if he turns it on in SA we could be watching the greatest player of all time. maybe. maybe.

of course, that barca team can carry some dead weight, so great are they. a bit like pele's classic brazil teams. messi, great. iniesta, xavi etc also great. if he can make argentina world champions....well then.

Serpico has a point. It's not like Messi has done anything like score the winning goal in a Champions League final against Man. Utd. or something like that. Sure he's bollocks, he only plays well and scores because he's playing the Spanish equivalents of Hull City every week.
Just to be nit-picky that game was 2-0 so I don't see why you would try and claim he scored the "winning goal", and I said he's a great player, there's a few of them about, but when he scores one of those dribbly swervy goals against a really good defence in a big game (like Diego did loads of times) then you can start comparing them. Lots of players have scored lots of deadly goals, some of them even in CL Finals, and never got compared to Maradonna.
If you'd like to see a nice dribbly swervy goal against mediocre team you can have a look at this one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just want to add a bit of common sense to this thread, instead of just a load of lads prematurely ejaculating over a player still on his way to true greatness.

a) They all count
b) Maradona didn't score amazing swervy dribbly goals against brilliant teams too often. Video please. His two most famous brilliant goals were against a mediocre England and a solid Belgium. I still consider him to be the best player I've ever seen, because it's a myth, a Gilesy myth, that the great players pull out their best performances in the really big games. Actually, to clarify that, it's a myth that they produce their most SPECTACULAR performances in the big games. Maradona was outstanding the World Cup Final of '86 and the semi-final of '90 without scoring in either.
c) Messi has scored plenty of times against Real Madrid, including a hat-trick, which included at least one (it's the only one I remember) outstanding goal. He has scored in a European Cup final. His sheer quantity of goals is likely to be instrumental in two consecutive league championship wins.
d) Reducing this to a check-list of achievements is a pity. I enjoy watching him play NOW, whether he goes on to dominate a World Cup or not. He's the only player in the world whose team I'll watch just to see him play. If you wait until he's achieved everything before you enjoy what you're seeing, you'll have missed the fun.

jesus, moods, cop on will ya. fuck messi. say something about arsenal. arsenal, arsenal, arsenal. good man serpico, you've almost singlehandedly taken the mantle of most annoying pricks of fans from the man united crew. we're saying messi may very very well be the best player in the world at the moment, and that he's on course to be even more spectacular. you're posting videos of samir nasri. you've done your points about messi no favours at all. next up, some united fans banging on about george best. yawn.

You go girl, let out all that latent scouse frustration, I hope your now able to wank all the way to climax. If you read my posts without the red mist you'd see that you're lashing out does your points no favours at all. This the second or third time you bitches have turned a football discussion into a personal attack. Disagree with me if you like, I'll even engage with you from time to time, but start bleating like a lamb about me being an annoying prick and you just make yourself out to be a big prissy fucking whinger. My point remains solid. I never said he wasn't great and you can ramble on making the same point over and over again if you like. You like watching him. So do loads of people. So fucking what? That doesn't make him Maradonna, or Pele or Cruyff or (like it or not) Best. You're as bad as the red tops. Give the boy a few fucking big tournaments to prove he belongs among that list is my point, and it's a fucking fair one. And if the context of my Nasri post escaped you that's your fucking fault. Scouse. Fucking. Twat.

This ones especially for you Hector:
Wayne Rooney
League: P 29 G 26
Cups: P 4 G 3
CL: P 4 G 4
England: P 8 G 6
Total: P 45 G 39

Lionel Messi
League: P 21 G 25
Cups: P 5 G 3
CL: P 7 G 4
Argentina: P 12 G 4
Total: P 45 G 36*

*Stats courtesy of some randomer on F365

Where's your Wayne Rooney thread? As good as Best? Sure, why not.

You go girl, let out all that latent scouse frustration, I hope your now able to wank all the way to climax. If you read my posts without the red mist you'd see that you're lashing out does your points no favours at all. This the second or third time you bitches have turned a football discussion into a personal attack. Disagree with me if you like, I'll even engage with you from time to time, but start bleating like a lamb about me being an annoying prick and you just make yourself out to be a big prissy fucking whinger. My point remains solid. I never said he wasn't great and you can ramble on making the same point over and over again if you like. You like watching him. So do loads of people. So fucking what? That doesn't make him Maradonna, or Pele or Cruyff or (like it or not) Best. You're as bad as the red tops. Give the boy a few fucking big tournaments to prove he belongs among that list is my point, and it's a fucking fair one. And if the context of my Nasri post escaped you that's your fucking fault. Scouse. Fucking. Twat.

He's already played in more World Cups than Best.

I think this thread needs John Giles to ramble on about the nature of greatness, and how one can be world class without being great, and then forget what he was talking about originally but keep on talking anyway.

No, what is wrong with you? I'm on the Messi to cure cancer side of the argument, you fool.

Apologies there Moods. So long as Messi is around to place a well placed nutmeg on me and cure my malignant ball tumour it'll be okay.

Serpico's on a mad one, by the way though even I, an Evertonian with more reason than anyone to hate Wayne Rooney can admit he's as good a player if not the best in the premiership at the moment if he were still a toffee or better yet an Irish toffee I'd be in love with him, Being a partisan prick doesn't make me unable to recognise real talent. Even if his topless ad puts me off my food. But seriously what the fuck are you on about ? Messi isn't great ? you wouldn't cream your little arsenal pants if he signed for you ?

Fuck off back to the arse thread.

I think this thread needs John Giles to ramble on about the nature of greatness, and how one can be world class without being great, and then forget what he was talking about originally but keep on talking anyway.

I too would like to know how Messi scores on the 'honesty of effort' scale.

To be fair to Serpico, Messi agrees with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_6050127,00.html

But he didn't need to swear as much or point out videos of Samir Nasri.

Since when did swearing a lot start upsetting people? I've been swearing like a sailor since the mid-80's and it's only in the last year that it keeps being mentioned. Is it a recession thing?

And good on the lad for showing some maturity, sorely lacking 'round here. Not that I come on the football thread in thumped expecting any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back