LIONEL MESSI (1 Viewer)

Ronaldo the Big Game Bottler rears his head again. The three wise men in the studio had their knives sharpened for him.

To be fair to him most of the United team were awol.....bags of nerves most of 'em.
Evra was decent and Fredi held it too.....
Rooney totally ineffective cept as a back up full back, hehe.
Scholes was not bad.

To be fair to him most of the United team were awol.....bags of nerves most of 'em.
Evra was decent and Fredi held it too.....
Rooney totally ineffective cept as a back up full back, hehe.
Scholes was not bad.

despite what dunphy would have you believe - that scholes was top class last night - i thought he didnt have the legs. yaya toure walked past him and carrick all night and yaya is the least skillful of barca's midfield surely.

messi is a joy to watch. cant wait til he moves to liverpool this summer...

despite what dunphy would have you believe - that scholes was top class last night - i thought he didnt have the legs. yaya toure walked past him and carrick all night and yaya is the least skillful of barca's midfield surely.

completely agree with you . scholes was average last night, but everyone else going forwad was below average so he looked like he had a good game. Real credit should go to ferdinand, hargreaves and evra who all did really well considering they were being shit on constantly.

it was an awful game to watch as a manu fan, but still, its away to barca, they had more than 65% of the possession, kept the ball really well and still it was 0-0.

anyone would have taken 0-0 before the game started, its just the manner in which we got the 0-0 was awful. How the fuck can ferguson start with rooney and tevez (2 centre forwards) and neither of them play as a centre forward for the entire 90 minutes! I think he started out attack minded but then barca kept control of the ball and we ended up playing with 4 full backs for the entire game.

on the whole messi thing, yeah the guy is a far more talented footballer, no question at all, but i would still have ronaldo in my team ahead of him. nothing to do with being a manu fan but ronaldo will get you more points. Messi was great to watch last night, but how many chances did he have/create ? ronaldo was absolutely shit but still got manu a penalty and was involved in two others that may have resulted in penalties. Ronaldo has scored 38 goals this season where as messi has scored 38 goals in his entire first team career for barca and argentina!

To be honest, playing for United in the English League, I think Messi would score a fair heap of goals. Maybe not 38 in a season, you can't say that of anyone, but enough (with the brilliance of his all round play) to say you'd take him ahead of Ronaldo. I'd still have Ronaldo on the bench though. Impact sub. ;)

To be honest, playing for United in the English League, I think Messi would score a fair heap of goals. Maybe not 38 in a season, you can't say that of anyone, but enough (with the brilliance of his all round play) to say you'd take him ahead of Ronaldo. I'd still have Ronaldo on the bench though. Impact sub. ;)

ha ha, if i could pick any team it would have both of them playing with someone like eto'o, torres or van horseface in the centre

The Marquez 'tackle' was a dive after a fair shoulder.
The 'toure one' was actually Abidal, and he was very, very lucky to get the ball.
That was Messi having played 45 minutes of football in the last, what.. two months?
You might get to see some more of the real Messi next week.
Hopefully.

The 'toure one' was actually Abidal, and he was very, very lucky to get the ball.
That was Messi having played 45 minutes of football in the last, what.. two months?
Hopefully.

sorry, the 'abidal' tackle was lucky. And yes ronaldo did make the most of it but i still reckon there was a valid claim for a penalty.

On another note, the award for bullshit headline of the day has to go to:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080423/sp_soccer_afp/fbleurc1espengporargbarcelonamanutdmessi

maradona was better than both of them. combined. seeing as we're making fatuous comparisons.

Hopefully.

YEAH WHAT HE SAID!

I think this measured take on the encounter from the Guardian's resident Tom Humphries, Richard Williams, sums up what Ronaldo is all about.

Ronaldo, for whom football really is a form of theatre, did his best to supply a resonant prologue with a 40-yard free-kick that bounced off the two-man defensive wall within the first minute. From the ensuing corner he provoked Gabriel Milito into handling the ball and then sidefooted the penalty over the bar. His every touch thereafter was jeered by the home crowd, notably when he played keepy-uppy after the ball had gone out for a throw to Barcelona near the halfway line, and later when he fed Patrice Evra by a reverse pass delivered with the inside of his left heel. The crowd chose not to notice that, while the first was a piece of gratuitous embellishment, the second represented a perfect example of the creative imagination being put to an impeccably practical use.

I think it's bang on the money. Ronaldo definitely sees football as a form of theatre, it's all laid out in his treatise "Football: Neo-Realist Drama or Musique Concréte? Which Is the Best Analogy with the Liberal Arts?"

I noticed that pass to Evra and it was a typical load of gratuitous ronaldo showboating. 'Impeccably practical use' my ring. He had loads of time and space to flick it away with his right boot.

It's when Ronadlo starts to do this sort of unecessary rubbish early on in big games, that you sense he's gonna fluff his lines. He was the same against Milan last year, fannying about with tricks early on when there's a game to be won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back