Lens: What to Buy? (2 Viewers)

Yeah, you're not wrong. Would you think of getting a prime lens? Maybe a 120mm or so? You could probably get a sigma or tamrom with about 1.8 or 2.8 for a fairly decent price, and you'd get photos out of it that'd be only rappeh.
see, i'm coming from using an olympus C750 with 10x optical zoom, and i miss that.

i'm looking at Digitalrev's hong kong prices on ebay and it's hard to argue with ~€130 + delivery for them 75-300 / 90-300 Canon lenses. although there's always the chance of getting busted for import duty.

Not so much chance as guarantee. Nothing's ever got through for me so factor in 25%. If digital rev is the crowd i'm thinking of they say they'll pay back the import tax, but only for the UK? Maybe get it posted to someone over and get the refund. On the othe hand, you could just ask Lala to pick up the lens over there for you and bring it home in her luggage?

Not so much chance as guarantee. Nothing's ever got through for me so factor in 25%. If digital rev is the crowd i'm thinking of they say they'll pay back the import tax, but only for the UK? Maybe get it posted to someone over and get the refund. On the othe hand, you could just ask Lala to pick up the lens over there for you and bring it home in her luggage?
i'll be in vegas, dude

I just got one of these: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/18200_diII.asp

Which has 11.1x zoom. 18 - 200mm, so I can junk the shitty canon kit lens. So far, so good. Half-decent macro on it too.

For gigs though, you should get the 50mm prime (fixed) f1.8 which is only about 150 new and about 80 - 90 second hand. Makes a huge difference. Especially in not-very-bright places. But no zoom. But perfect portrait lens.

I'd go for something with a wider aperture but most of my pics are gigs or other low light places.

My one and only lens is a Canon 35-135mm 1:4 - 5.6, it's at least 6/7 years old and still going strong. I love it dearly.

through purchases and inheritances, i have 8 lenses for my olympus kit; three are zooms, the rest prime lenses. i'd say over 98% of my photos are taken with the primes.

Ah yeah, but if you could find some place that does second hand lenses, you could probably get something a bit better for the same price. Or the same lens for cheaper. Either way, it'd be good to go take a look.

Ah yeah, but if you could find some place that does second hand lenses, you could probably get something a bit better for the same price. Or the same lens for cheaper. Either way, it'd be good to go take a look.
you mean leave the house and interact with actual people?

i doubt it.

Up to getting my Tamron 18-200mm, my main lens was the Prime 50mm, which was great for forcing me to concentrate on exactly what it was I was taking and also gave me a better understanding of different ranges.

But since I get the Tamron, that's the main one. I have it less than a week and I haven't taken it off yet.

I am still learning to use it though. And I do miss the sharpness of the 50mm in lower light (although it's in my bag).

But overall it's a great catch all lens. And there are no "ghosts" when taking pics of lights.

Much better than I thought it would be. The Kit Lens is now sitting gathering dust where it has been for about six weeks.

Up to getting my Tamron 18-200mm, my main lens was the Prime 50mm, which was great for forcing me to concentrate on exactly what it was I was taking and also gave me a better understanding of different ranges.

But since I get the Tamron, that's the main one. I have it less than a week and I haven't taken it off yet.

I am still learning to use it though. And I do miss the sharpness of the 50mm in lower light (although it's in my bag).

But overall it's a great catch all lens. And there are no "ghosts" when taking pics of lights.

Much better than I thought it would be. The Kit Lens is now sitting gathering dust where it has been for about six weeks.

do you not find the 3.5 ap a bit limiting, what kit lens did you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back