Large Irish Moths (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Dan
  • Start date
  • Replies 104
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 4
Another Known Offender

Another offender well known to entomologists and the gardai is a party known as the silverfish.

Our bathroom is full of the little shysters. With their reflective bodies they have in common with their brothers in fishy-ness, the fish, a remarkable ability to use light, rather than darkness, for hiding.

Unlike the gormless woodlouse, who hides by half-heartedly "concealing" himself under stones and in very obvious places such as corners, the silverfish is a much slicker customer. What he does is sit right there in the middle of the floor where you least expect to see him. And with the bathroom light hitting the lino full on, our argent friend successfully disguises himself by means of the old "just another bit of lino" trick.

After all these years, who'd have thought that old chestnut could still draw a crowd, eh?

Re: Another Known Offender

less artsy, more fartsy. :eek:

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
Another offender well known to entomologists and the gardai is a party known as the silverfish.

Our bathroom is full of the little shysters. With their reflective bodies they have in common with their brothers in fishy-ness, the fish, a remarkable ability to use light, rather than darkness, for hiding.

Unlike the gormless woodlouse, who hides by half-heartedly "concealing" himself under stones and in very obvious places such as corners, the silverfish is a much slicker customer. What he does is sit right there in the middle of the floor where you least expect to see him. And with the bathroom light hitting the lino full on, our argent friend successfully disguises himself by means of the old "just another bit of lino" trick.

After all these years, who'd have thought that old chestnut could still draw a crowd, eh?

And this, apparently, is why mice are more effective carriers of disease than rats. Rats have the decency to take their dumps (or whatever they are) in specific, chosen locations.

Mice, though, are undiscriminating. Thanks to their bladder issues, they're constantly "on the piss".

Originally posted by kirstie
aww
Mice are sweet, if it wasn't for the fact they cant control their bladders and piss everywhere as a result, I'd be quite happy to have a few of them roaming about the house making cute squeaking noises

And this, apparently, is why mice are more effective carriers of disease than rats. Rats have the decency to take their dumps (or whatever they are) in specific, chosen locations.

Mice, though, are undiscriminating. Thanks to their bladder issues, they're constantly "on the piss".

But then again mice have the bonus of not boring
through your eyes or any convenient bit of your body
when they're ravenous, like rats do!

My uncle once knocked himself out with a crowbar when
he was trying to whack a rat in my grans back kitchen. :rolleyes:

we have a R.A.T. in our shed at the moment, so the shed has been blocked up but the bins are in there and needed putting out on wednesday morning.

so I went out to retrieve the bings from "The Kingdom of the Rats", because I'm the only one with balls in my house... anyway I gave the shed door two or three good kicks before I opened it to let the little bleeders know I wasn't fucking around, and on the third lick I heard a (relatively) high pitched voice call "FIACHRA..."

I fucking lept at the idea that the Rats were not only talking, but addressing me by name, probably trying to brooker a deal where I'd sell out my house mates to become some sort of mutant king if the rats!!

anyway turns out it was just my house mate telling me not to bring the bags threw the house less we all get weisl disease

scared the piss out of me

they cant control their bladders and piss everywhere as a result

<contemplates marketing pelvic floor exercises for mice...>

What the Sam Hill is "weisl disease"?

Has anyone encountered the mice of Tara Street train station? They scurry about the tracks like... like, eh... like very small rats with dodgy sphincters.

Our kitchen floor has been covered in food for about 6 months but we've never had mice. Why is this? What's wrong with our food?

Originally posted by Pantone247
we have a R.A.T. in our shed at the moment, so the shed has been blocked up but the bins are in there and needed putting out on wednesday morning.

so I went out to retrieve the bings from "The Kingdom of the Rats", because I'm the only one with balls in my house... anyway I gave the shed door two or three good kicks before I opened it to let the little bleeders know I wasn't fucking around, and on the third lick I heard a (relatively) high pitched voice call "FIACHRA..."

I fucking lept at the idea that the Rats were not only talking, but addressing me by name, probably trying to brooker a deal where I'd sell out my house mates to become some sort of mutant king if the rats!!

anyway turns out it was just my house mate telling me not to bring the bags threw the house less we all get weisl disease

scared the piss out of me

What the Sam Hill is "weisl disease"?

Leptospirosis & Weil’s Disease
What it is
Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection carried in rat’s urine which may contaminate water in lakes, rivers, etc. The bacteria does not survive long in dry conditions or salt water. The risk of infection is greater in stagnant or slow-moving water but cases have occurred in swift moving streams and lowland rivers. There is an enhanced risk where flash floods have washed out rat runs.

The infection is caught by direct contact with the urine or polluted environment. Bacteria enter through skin abrasions or via eyes, nose or mouth.

The usual incubation is 2 to 12 days. Usually a ‘flu’ like illness occurs which resolves in 2-3 weeks. There may be fever, severe headache, pains in the back and calf and prostration. A few cases develop Jaundice, when the condition is known as Weil’s disease.

I have a RAT distortion Pedal! .|..| i HATE Spiders, i run like a girl from em, dont mind rats or mice or anything like that, just dirty spiders, they are satans children!

recent cases have mainly come from drinking bottled beer and cans of beer what have been pissed on by rats in pub or off licence cellars

doesn't that reallyput you off your Dutch Gold?!

Originally posted by sarah

Leptospirosis & Weil’s Disease
What it is
Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection carried in rat’s urine which may contaminate water in lakes, rivers, etc. The bacteria does not survive long in dry conditions or salt water. The risk of infection is greater in stagnant or slow-moving water but cases have occurred in swift moving streams and lowland rivers. There is an enhanced risk where flash floods have washed out rat runs.

The infection is caught by direct contact with the urine or polluted environment. Bacteria enter through skin abrasions or via eyes, nose or mouth.

The usual incubation is 2 to 12 days. Usually a ‘flu’ like illness occurs which resolves in 2-3 weeks. There may be fever, severe headache, pains in the back and calf and prostration. A few cases develop Jaundice, when the condition is known as Weil’s disease.

Originally posted by Pantone247

doesn't that reallyput you off your Dutch Gold?!

Don't be ridiculous Pantone...no amount of rat's piss would discourage me from sinking a quality beverage like Dutch Gold...or its predessor Royal Dutch.

Royal Dutch really took off once they called it Dutch Gold, and put that gentleman carrying a keg on the can (or maybe it was the 6-for-a-fiver? hmmmm)...just goes to show that if you add the word 'gold' to something, it gives the impression of being a superior product...it'll always be Royal Dutch to me though...ah, the memories we shared.

Sob, Sob...

best. avatar. ever.

Kevin mouse was alright, i suppose, but RATT were shit. i don't now if this clears it up for you.

Originally posted by Beanstalk

Don't be ridiculous Pantone...no amount of rat's piss would discourage me from sinking a quality beverage like Dutch Gold...or its predessor Royal Dutch.

Royal Dutch really took off once they called it Dutch Gold, and put that gentleman carrying a keg on the can (or maybe it was the 6-for-a-fiver? hmmmm)...just goes to show that if you add the word 'gold' to something, it gives the impression of being a superior product...it'll always be Royal Dutch to me though...ah, the memories we shared.

Sob, Sob...

wait a sec. Dutch Gold and Royal Dutch are competitors, not the same thing, are they not? Dutch gold is 4.2% and comes (obviously) in a gold can. Royal Dutch is in the green can and is 5%.... I think...

Originally posted by figs

wait a sec. Dutch Gold and Royal Dutch are competitors, not the same thing, are they not? Dutch gold is 4.2% and comes (obviously) in a gold can. Royal Dutch is in the green can and is 5%.... I think...

I haven't seen a can of Royal Dutch for a long time...I thought they had phased it out, and replaced it with Dutch Gold...what are the chances of two independent brewing companies producing such a premium beer product, and sharing a similar name?

That's not a question, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back