Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006) (1 Viewer)

Also consider whether what you are wearing is appropriate to the mood being created, what you are sitting on while listening, your posture etc.
can't imagine listening to it in anything other than this.
renaissancem16.jpg

Me

Its a wonderful album. I'd say its possibly my favorite album of all time. And yes, its a bit difficult, but put in the effort, the rewards are there.
That's how I describe myself to people, and it's never worked.

Ha, so I actually like this so far? It's an odd duck for sure, the orchestration gets in the way a bit too often. But I'm finding I'm mostly fine with Newsom's voice. I'm thinking Bjork, Maureen Tucker, Isaac Brock? (Maybe because of the lyrics, she's got a way with words that remind me of those first few Modest Mouse albums.)

Just on the voice issue:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tough crowd.

I'm fairly certain this was on my list. It's my favourite album of the past 15 years and I honestly think it is one of the most unique albums I'll ever hear. I can get how it might be off-putting but it is a bit depressing that everyone here apart from @scutter seems to hate it. Whatever about listening to it with the lyrics sheet or only listening to certain tracks, if the sheer talent and craft that has gone into this along with the emotional power of the performance doesn't do anything for you, maybe this music lark isn't for you?

Same with last week's Neil Young thread, it's mind boggling that so many people seemed to dismiss it on a forum based around music. Such excitement about this album club and everyone moans about the music being shite, the songs/albums are too long, etc. in every thread. You all sound like Granpa Simpson. Maybe I'm too easily pleased (which I doubt) but the worst I can say about any of the albums so far is that it's not as good as the hype suggests but isn't bad (NMH).

The lyrics on Ys are astounding, one of those albums where it could stand alone as poetry. The music is pretty much on its own, she got lumped in with all that folk revival stuff like Devendra Banhart at the time but when you listen to the melodies and the way the songs develop, it is leagues ahead of any of her contemporaries. Even if you strip away the orchestrations (there is an EP from the same time where she plays some of this material with a small band) there is a level of detail and sophistication that is more like classical composition than songwriting. And the voice is fine, we've had Neil Young, Jeff Mangum and Bowie already - all of whom are as distinctive and affective as Newsom. I don't get the big deal here.

W
if the sheer talent and craft that has gone into this along with the emotional power of the performance doesn't do anything for you, maybe this music lark isn't for you?

Well, it's just a matter of different people with different likes and dislikes, and personally I decided if that TAC wasn't the place for sitting on the fence so I'm letting it all out. Her voice is completely headwrecking, so is the harp, the lyrics are rubbish and the orchestration is very distracting. I can't distinguish one song from another, they're all just interminable tuneless meanders to me. That said, I have just sat through the entire thing (with a break in the middle) without puking so I'm gearing myself up for a change of heart over the next few listens... YAY TAC!

I haven't even listened to this album yet but if I got depressed every time someone didn't like an album I think is amazing I'd have killed myself years ago.

Album club is about listening to stuff you might not have listened to before, not about coming to a consensus on the same music.

Last edited:
I haven't even listened to this album yet but if I got depressed every time someone didn't like an album I think is amazing I'd have killed myself years ago.

Album club is about listening to stuff you might not have listened to before, not about coming to a consensus on the same music.
It's more the "I've listened to a minute of this. It's shite." mentality or giving out because it's five songs across an hour as opposed to 12 songs across an hour. What's the point in listening to new stuff if you're just going to dismiss it outright for not being something you already know and are comfortable with?

complaining is fun though. if i was in a bad mood i'd give a pithy one liner like 'this is the sound of gentrified new york'.

but i liked it alright after the first listen. too busy with the eagles right now.

It's more the "I've listened to a minute of this. It's shite." mentality or giving out because it's five songs across an hour as opposed to 12 songs across an hour. What's the point in listening to new stuff if you're just going to dismiss it outright for not being something you already know and are comfortable with?
fair point, fair point

First listen. It's like reading a chapter of a book with no punctuation. I really like the orchestration. The voice is an aquired taste with some exteme undulations.
I keep thinking of Janis Joplin singing Mercedes Benz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back