Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006) (1 Viewer)

She doesn't have a pretty voice - so what? Neither do you (probably)

It was Only Skin that finally won me over on this one after being "meh" about it for ages. Normally I strongly disapprove of long songs, but somehow the longest of them all is my favourite on this one. I don't really like Monkey and Bear because it's kinda cynical and bleak in an obvious way. You can do better than that Joanna!

Seriously though lads. This album is worth your time. Especially Only Skin

FWIW my daughters (10 and 7) are totally put off by her voice too. The only time they had a stronger reaction to a voice was when I put on Damien Dempsey the car one day and they both pissed themselves laughing. I felt bad for oul Damo, like I had failed him somehow

Isn't it strange, bands and artists whose names and stories we're SO familiar with but have never heard. I'd read so much about the voice. The voice, the voice!! The first few seconds and I thought my worst fears were correct and it was Lisa Hannigan territory. But with a minute I heard through that and warmed to it. She is nothing like that throaty round mouthed singing that I hate (Lisa H, Passenger etc).
So "going forward" it won't the the voice that decides the fate of this album.

Not sure.

I love this record though I haven't listened to it much recently. The thing about the string arrangements was mentioned earlier. These were all done by Van Dyke Parks and as I understand it, the way it worked was that Newsom recorded all the basic tracks first and then they were sent to Parks to add strings to them. Some people love the results and some hate it. There is certainly something of a disconnect there.

Looking forward to listening back properly this afternoon ...

55 minutes? that's daunting. i've heard the milk eyed mender and liked a couple of songs from it at the time.

The music is pleasant. That horrendous singing though : ( The songs are far too long. It’s not for me. I’ll struggle with three listens. 1.5/5
I'd say to break it up if you're struggling to listen to it straight through. Only Skin is epic. The part with Bill Callahan on backing vocals is sublime. And Emily is fantastic. Its about her sister who's an astrophysicist. Start with these 2. Then pick the others off on subsequent listens.

Some lad on allmusic said this

Ys represents the entirety of the "middle phase" of Joanna Newsom's career. Gone is the innocent lyricist of "Erin," who could say things plainly: "We stand there astounded / and we pound our heads and shout / We shout halleluja." Still almost a decade away is the confident pop chanteuse who can very nearly save PT Anderson's worst film yet with the sexy smoke of a voice-over. On Ys, Newsom creates a landscape, a people, and a sound, and she does it with both her intricate lyrics and the power of the arrangement. Yes, it's baroque. Yes, it requires a few listens. And yes, it rewards patience. "Monkey & Bear" and "Sawdust & Diamonds" are among Newsom's strongest lyrics and represent a bold vision fully realized.

reads like she's already dead.

Just listened to the first tune.

I might be going out on a limb here,but in an unprecedented, in the world of amateur music reviews move, I'm gonna go ahead and give this 5/5 sound unheard.

I may or may not totally like it or even understand it for that matter,but thats irrelevant.
Who am I to be judging anyone,nevermind someone who is clearly from a different,obviously superior musical universe such as JN.

On to the second track..theres a lot of lyrics thats for sure

Christ, there’s actually instructions on how to listen to this – have the lyric sheet to hand, start with track 4 then track 1, then listen to the others out of sequence etc…

Also consider whether what you are wearing is appropriate to the mood being created, what you are sitting on while listening, your posture etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back