Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006) (1 Viewer)

The music is pretty much on its own, she got lumped in with all that folk revival stuff

This. It bugs me when I read a review of something and it gets compared to Joanna Newsom. Almost without fail, anytime I've gone and listened to something like that; 1) Its nothing like Joanna Newsom (nothing is though, is it), and 2) I usually hate it.

I've never felt the need to try and justify this one, or defend why I like it.

Just to elaborate on this point. I think its because it doesn't need me to defend it. Maybe if I thought everyone else hated it I'd feel differently, but there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way about this album as I do. She pretty much sells out every show she plays. And, as evidenced by her recent gig here, these aren't just people going out of curiousity. Well by-in-large they're not. These are people who geniunely love what she does and are genuinely moved by the music.

So let the h8rs h8 if they're so inclined to do so. But I think the extent of h8 mirrors the extent of the depth of genuine love for the album. Whats that thing they say about equal, but opposite reactions, etc?

I don't know why there seems to be no middle ground with this album. People love it or hate it.
there were actually more people in the middle ground than who hated it in this thread

and nearly as many people bitching about how everyone hates it

there were actually more people in the middle ground than who hated it in this thread

Those in the middle-ground (the 'its grand' brigade) mostly made those comments (from what I could tell) after a few minutes of their first listen, though. Which is why I said I'd be curious to know what they thought after spending a bit of time with it.

I'm not sure if anyone who said they thought it was grand actually came back to update their opinion on subsequent listens. I'll reread the thread.

I never got past the first song. A combination of meandering music that just never went anywhere and an irritating (to me) voice. Sorry.

I hereby commit to listen to the whole thing on my bus journey home.

This is a new one to me, I hadn't listened to anything of hers before (except the muppets theme song)

Not enjoying it at all can't get in her voice.

I nearly gave up after the Monkey & Bear but I forced myself to listen to it.

I have given it 3 listens and still find it a hard listen. Unlike Slayer were I made myself listen to and found myself enjoying it, the same cannot be said for this.

I doubt I will listen to this again. Roll on the next album.

Made it 7:46 this time. It's actually actively annoying me. You know those buskers you see sometime who don't play actual songs, they've just found a few musical phrases and flourishes they can stick together in any neverending, always repeating order? That's what this reminds me of. It's like it's being made up as she goes along - and quite obviously it's not - like, musically, there's no... direction to it. I can appreciate the craft and skill that's gone into it. I can certainly see how it could inspire great devotion. But I don't think it's for me.

Back to it now.

So,out of respect to certain members passion for this work,and the whole TAC concept,I gave this the ultimate listen..the headphones walk to Lidl and back.
Full attention.100%.

Now,with todays modern personal attitude of actively seeking out things in life,be it art,music or the natural world, to not just like...but love ...I can only say that I like this..in a Paul Daniels style..ie not alot.

Its got everything going for it,well its got a lot going for it, and I can see why she commands the respect and adoration she surely does but I find the lyrics very challenging.....in all honesty I couldn't follow them at all.I have form in loving similar types of avant garde baroque folk type warblings,being a massive old school Incredible String Band fan to name but one act that springs to mind off hand.
A few snippets jumped out at me while I was perusing the baking section,something about the moon,possibly in june.But it wasn't enough to prompt further interest I don't think.Not at the moment anyway.....who knows, I may well be seen reaching for the Newson at some point in the future but like I say..at this point in my journey I am impervious to this particular sirens song.

I will give special mention to the arrangements which are something to behold and well worth the investment of listening thrice.They are expertly executed and wonderfully harmonic,certainly hoisting the IMHO rather pedestrian harp stylings aloft to a place I feel they would struggle to attain on their Jack Jones.

As I preambled along Ballymorris Road in the dark I thought of some words I would use to describe the experience of this album...

Stream Of Consciousness
Verbose
Dronelike
White
Avant Garde
Warbly

The seemingly random interjections from the lad on the cursed Jews Harp amused me,but to misquote and paraphrase the wonderfully ,wryly succinct Art Brut .....

Shes working in a genre I don't understand.

2/5

fair play Gaz, I enjoyed reading that.

On this

being a massive old school Incredible String Band fan to name but one act that springs to mind off hand.

This is actually a great example of another band who have wonderful songs, but who people might initially be put off by the challenging vocal styling. And its a great example of a band who are a very rewarding listen if one persists. Good call.

So,out of respect to certain members passion for this work,and the whole TAC concept,I gave this the ultimate listen..the headphones walk to Lidl and back.
Full attention.100%.

Now,with todays modern personal attitude of actively seeking out things in life,be it art,music or the natural world, to not just like...but love ...I can only say that I like this..in a Paul Daniels style..ie not alot.

Its got everything going for it,well its got a lot going for it, and I can see why she commands the respect and adoration she surely does but I find the lyrics very challenging.....in all honesty I couldn't follow them at all.I have form in loving similar types of avant garde baroque folk type warblings,being a massive old school Incredible String Band fan to name but one act that springs to mind off hand.
A few snippets jumped out at me while I was perusing the baking section,something about the moon,possibly in june.But it wasn't enough to prompt further interest I don't think.Not at the moment anyway.....who knows, I may well be seen reaching for the Newson at some point in the future but like I say..at this point in my journey I am impervious to this particular sirens song.

I will give special mention to the arrangements which are something to behold and well worth the investment of listening thrice.They are expertly executed and wonderfully harmonic,certainly hoisting the IMHO rather pedestrian harp stylings aloft to a place I feel they would struggle to attain on their Jack Jones.

As I preambled along Ballymorris Road in the dark I thought of some words I would use to describe the experience of this album...

Stream Of Consciousness
Verbose
Dronelike
White
Avant Garde
Warbly

The seemingly random interjections from the lad on the cursed Jews Harp amused me,but to misquote and paraphrase the wonderfully ,wryly succinct Art Brut .....

Shes working in a genre I don't understand.

2/5

Fair enough

But it would be a shame to dismiss her entirely based on this album. Some of her shorter more standard song based tracks are beautiful and easier to take to.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back