Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

They're called ThinkBike now. I'll go to them and MacDonalds and see who'll give me the best price/sneer at me the least for wrecking my bike.

I need some parts for my racer. A new inner-chainring and stuff like that. It's a Campag Veloce groupset I have. Where's a good place to go in town? I'm scared of bike shops.

what exactly do you need? Can you not buy the parts and do the work yourself? If its just a chainring like.

I did a bit of work on my bike recently. Got the parts on chainreactioncycles.com for a steal - probably worked out 100 quid cheaper than if I'd have take it to my local bike shop. Though I did destroy my freehub and ended up having to get them to fix it anyway for 40 quid.

On bike shops, I'm not familiar on city ones but I'd imagine you'd pay a premium simply because they're in the city. If City Cycles in Blackhall Place are any relation to City Cycles in Fairview I'd steer clear. The ones in Fairview are the most disinterested, apathetic shower I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I won't be going back.

+1 for ThinkBike in Rathmines though. They got me out of a real jam once. I don't go there often, just because its not conveniently located. But the one time I did, they were beyond sound and did far more than they needed to in that particular case.

If City Cycles in Blackhall Place are any relation to City Cycles in Fairview I'd steer clear. The ones in Fairview are the most disinterested, apathetic shower I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I won't be going back.
Yeah I've been to the one in Fairview once....never ever again. As far as I know its a fella who used to work there has opened the one in Blackhall Place. World of difference between the two places. But as I said, I've never got any servicing done there. I did get fantastically cheap jerseys from them.

what exactly do you need? Can you not buy the parts and do the work yourself? If its just a chainring like.

I did a bit of work on my bike recently. Got the parts on chainreactioncycles.com for a steal - probably worked out 100 quid cheaper than if I'd have take it to my local bike shop. Though I did destroy my freehub and ended up having to get them to fix it anyway for 40 quid.

On bike shops, I'm not familiar on city ones but I'd imagine you'd pay a premium simply because they're in the city. If City Cycles in Blackhall Place are any relation to City Cycles in Fairview I'd steer clear. The ones in Fairview are the most disinterested, apathetic shower I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I won't be going back.

+1 for ThinkBike in Rathmines though. They got me out of a real jam once. I don't go there often, just because its not conveniently located. But the one time I did, they were beyond sound and did far more than they needed to in that particular case.

I only know how to ride the things. It's just last year that I mastered fixing a puncture. I think the whole drive-train needs replacing due to negligence.

ThinkBike say they'll give you a bike to use while they work on yours (in some cases) so deffo going to try there first.

Well lads.I wonder if any fixie "enthusiasts" could advise me here..

Bought a second hand single speed -converted racer recently .Pretty happy with it in general apart from one thing..
The handlebars are far too short/stubby for my liking. (they are just the previous racer drop bars, but hacksawed to look like small handlebars)

Is there any possible of way of gettin these extended slightly or is it a matter of having to removing and replacing the whole handlebars with a new set?

I was hoping there was some sort of bar risers that just clip on to the end.Cant seem to find anything like this on t'internet.

Do you mean the drops have sawn off so that now they're basically short flat bars?
I really don't understand the fixie short bar obsession at all at all.

Though I quite like those bar ends, handlebars are dirt cheap on the interweb. You could get bars and tape or whatever for 20 sterlings.

Do you mean the drops have sawn off so that now they're basically short flat bars?
I really don't understand the fixie short bar obsession at all at all.

Though I quite like those bar ends, handlebars are dirt cheap on the interweb. You could get bars and tape or whatever for 20 sterlings.

yep.thats exactly what it is.

must have a look at handlebars then so..
Are they handy enough to change urself?

Yeah, as far as I can tell you just need an allen key (and with most things cycling related, you also need a lot of patience to do it right).

Theodore, I refuse to believe that short bars are anything more than an act in trendy fucks trying to justify their own trendiness. Short bars might make some sort of sense in NYC or San Fran, but in Dublin they're just silly. I'd say they're great craic and all, but it's pure scenester stuff.

Yeah, as far as I can tell you just need an allen key (and with most things cycling related, you also need a lot of patience to do it right).

Theodore, I refuse to believe that short bars are anything more than an act in trendy fucks trying to justify their own trendiness. Short bars might make some sort of sense in NYC or San Fran, but in Dublin they're just silly. I'd say they're great craic and all, but it's pure scenester stuff.

yeah i thought the short bars might have been at least a tiny bit practical, but no.
think ill just change to normal bars and then hit urban outfitters to balance the trendyness up..

How long have you had the short bars for? I like really them myself although I have drop bars on my bike. You could get in touch with rothar.ie and see if they have any second bars going cheap. Give us a shout if you need any help and I'll call round to ya.

http://rothar.ie/

maybe now but i started using em after a year or so of being a courier and found them to be great for zipping in and out of small gaps you wouldnt make otherwise.plus now i prefer to ride down the centre marking of a road so its even more important to have thin bars as your contending with two opposing flows of traffic.

maybe now but i started using em after a year or so of being a courier and found them to be great for zipping in and out of small gaps you wouldnt make otherwise.plus now i prefer to ride down the centre marking of a road so its even more important to have thin bars as your contending with two opposing flows of traffic.

Yeah that about sums it up, can't see anything trendy about them, they're just really practical for city cycling.

How long have you had the short bars for? I like really them myself although I have drop bars on my bike. You could get in touch with rothar.ie and see if they have any second bars going cheap. Give us a shout if you need any help and I'll call round to ya.

http://rothar.ie/

Cheers Moose.

This is her by the way:

showfull.php

http://www.adverts.ie/showfull.php?product=165367&bigimage=Picture_469.jpg
showfull.php

Only had it a couple of weeks.a bit short, what ya i reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
    Anseo
    18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
    Vicar Street
    58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back