Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

7 no tomorrow said:
cycling in dublin video

i wouldn't cycle too much different to that, but i haven't really watched a video of someone cycling from that perspective before. one thing that jumped out at me (as a driver rather then a cyclist) is in each case of passing the buses that are a standstill, the driver has a second or less to clock you in the mirror before you are actually in the path of his front end. coupled with having to take fares, having a big giant window in front of him and having two sides to check + the mirror being smaller and darker then a small laptop screen, its amazing a cyclist doesn't get clipped every hour of every day. recommend: making your self known to other vehicles at the first opportunity (instead of sneaking up behind and then springing out) and have a front flasher on basically all the time. a good flasher makes a big difference.

Jaysus cycling indeed:

26376_381510616740_617881740_4405182_1529463_n.jpg

ha ha you wuss can't believe you're soliciting more sympathy for drunken sillyness!

I'm not for any sympathy just showing off my cool yellow leg. Shouldn't you be studying?

i wouldn't cycle too much different to that, but i haven't really watched a video of someone cycling from that perspective before. one thing that jumped out at me (as a driver rather then a cyclist) is in each case of passing the buses that are a standstill, the driver has a second or less to clock you in the mirror before you are actually in the path of his front end. coupled with having to take fares, having a big giant window in front of him and having two sides to check + the mirror being smaller and darker then a small laptop screen, its amazing a cyclist doesn't get clipped every hour of every day. recommend: making your self known to other vehicles at the first opportunity (instead of sneaking up behind and then springing out) and have a front flasher on basically all the time. a good flasher makes a big difference.
yeah i don't cycle that much differently myself, and whatever about going between buses and shit, you're just gonna hurt yourself if anything goes wrong. but with pedestrians i think some common sense should be had. if you don't cycle predictably and take into consideration that when the pedestrians have green lights they can do whatever the fuck you want to (and even if dr tomorrow isn't going particularly fast in the video, it'd be pretty easy to get into contact), well you lose all complaining rights regarding drivers because whether or not you're the greatest acrobat on the bike the world has known, shit can happen and it'll be your fault. plus you're intimidating pedestrians which isn't really cool unless you think all different modes of moving don't need to get along to begin with. and listening to music while you're doing that, don't get me started.

i've a 18 speed cheapo mountain bike which i built out of older non functional bikes, to which i've stuck lights, a water bottle, and a set of altura panniers. pretty shit in towns and on flat ground but basically the only logical bike to own in donegal. great for tearing up forests and the like.

aha:

2121466756_59290ac3a1.jpg

4047190412_aede11e25b_b.jpg

that was the initial setup, the seat isn't that low anymore. it's still quite big a frame for me but works suprrisingly well. got the wheels laced in cyclelogical and they are amazing

oops i've got a bright red blinker on me bag, a led torch in front and sometimes a headlamp in my helmet. also got these skinny full mudguards which are indispensable unless just cycling around and back home again and again

giant%20scr%203%2008.jpg

It was my bike for the weekend, but eventually became my standard, all purpose bike. It makes me terrified of thieves and isn't really the best option for the "urban commuter", but it suits me. After 2 years of riding it around it's dirty and chipped and I feel like it's very much my own. Haven't done much to it 'cept for mudguards, mtb spd's, lights, a replacement crankset and a wee computer with cadence monitor. I'd like to put panniers on it sometime, but I haven't yet.

The other bike is:
PLANETX_SLPro.jpg

I got this recently because it was a bargain that I simply couldn't refuse. I still get a bit frightened riding on it, srsly.

tbh, I feel a bit daft with these fancy road bikes, and I'd like something more like what ann post has. But, you know, I just don't have room in the flat for more bikes. I think I'd feel much more daft if I had a Giant Bowery or whatever.

i cant recommend those pannier things enough. that pic is from 2006, they are still in fully functioning order, minus one piece of plastic which was really my fault and is replaced by bungee cord. those are the 60L (combined) ones - i can do a weeks shopping on that thing or go a good 12-13 hours touring with food/camera/wet gear/phone/book/tools in one bag. actually rarely use both panniers. I use the bags for normal shit all the time, very waterproof - you can go through streams etc without anything in them getting wet. when fully loaded the centre of gravity can be a bit off and it can be a bit sketch going really really slow (like hill climbing off road) but otherwise well worth the money.

Canyon CF 6.0 road bike. Full carbon frame with dura-ace groupset, FSA cranks, mavic kysyrium elite wheels. I love it.
An old Giant TCR2 racer (about 6 years old) with shitty tiagra on it but very cool cosmic elite wheels. Its my winter hacker-bike and serves that purpose well
A Giant CRS hybrid for the work commute. I've replaced every single part on it apart from the handlebars (that includes the frame). I love this bike but its due a change.

I'm in the market for a new racer (to replace my Giant) and a new hybrid for work. Just have to get the fuckers here to sign up to the bike-to-work before I can though.

Christ, er, I think mine is grey.

oh and it's a hybrid...... or maybe it's not, I can't remember.

I cycle this thing to and from work 5 days a week, you'd think i'd be paying more attention

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back