Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

actually the +1 thing is broken and when you click +1 it gives a plus and a minus. Someone should bring that up with Pete

One of these, in bright pink:
azor_neworleans.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-to-clamp-down-on-unsafe-cyclists-2153652.html

CYCLISTS face the prospect of a day in court if caught running red lights or not having safety equipment, including lights and reflectors, on their bicycles.

And the head of the Garda Traffic Corps in Dublin warned any driver involved in a collision over the bank holiday weekend will be automatically breathalysed as part of a major crackdown on drink-driving.

The get-tough measures are part of Operation Lockdown, and gardai yesterday highlighted 16 key routes in Dublin's city centre that will be targeted over the next week.

And suburbs of the capital frequented by revellers, including Blanchardstown, Blackrock and Swords, will also be the focus of a major speeding and drink-driving crackdown.

Called Operation Surround, it will involve gardai mounting checkpoints to target young drivers leaving pubs and nightclubs who may have been drinking.

"The primary focus will be on speed reduction, particularly in the 50kmh zones, where vulnerable road users are particularly at risk from vehicles moving from high volume routes into urban areas," Chief Superintendent Reid said.

Offence

"It is an offence (for cyclists) not to have a light or to run red lights. Last November we ran six operations and used discretionary cautions, giving people a couple of days to appear at a garda station and show that their bike was roadworthy. The focus is not just on targeting cars but vulnerable road users themselves."

Campaigns involving stopping cyclists from running traffic signals and checking safety equipment will be carried out from 5pm to 8pm for the next week, Supt Reid said.

As the weekend approaches, a second enforcement operation will run from 7pm to 9pm where drivers will be checked for drink driving and speeding along 16 routes identified in the outskirts of the capital bounded by the Royal and Grand Canals.

Road fatalities have fallen by 12pc in the past decade in Dublin; but between 2001 and today, 329 people have died on the capital's roads.

But gardai are more concerned about vulnerable road users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians. These make up 61pc of those killed in the capital -- pedestrians are the most likely victims (36pc), followed by motorcyclists (16pc) and cyclists (10pc).

- Paul Melia

Irish Independent

I've pretty much given up breaking red lights, except where it's really pointless and unnecessary to be stopped at one. Maybe I'm getting old. From what I can see, most cyclists go round acting the cunt. It's really not helpful. I was behind one lad last week travelling from Blackrock into town. I'd say he pissed off several people along the way and I'd estimate that he reached the city centre only about 2 minutes before me.

Random pet hate: You pass a slower rider on a busy road. Subsequently you reach traffic lights and stop and wait in the right place. A minute later the slower rider reaches the lights and goes past you to the very extreme section of road to wait for the green. When you both push off, s/he's blocking your way as you've a line of cars accelerating past you on your right. So annoying. Hey, you know, I'm faster than you so just fucking wait behind me, ok?

I've pretty much given up breaking red lights, except where it's really pointless and unnecessary to be stopped at one. Maybe I'm getting old. From what I can see, most cyclists go round acting the cunt. It's really not helpful.

he's right you know.i still love to tear about town on my bike but breaking every light on the way and pissing everyone off while your at it is no way to carry on.plus i already got a day in court for breaking a red light years back,the judge laughed and told me to get out of his court.sound.

the very extreme section of road to wait for the green. When you both push off, s/he's blocking your way as you've a line of cars accelerating past you on your right. So annoying. Hey, you know, I'm faster than you so just fucking wait behind me, ok?

that very extreme section at traffic lights (sometimes there's an extra line to mark it) is reserved for cyclists if i remember correctly.

Random pet hate: You pass a slower rider on a busy road. Subsequently you reach traffic lights and stop and wait in the right place. A minute later the slower rider reaches the lights and goes past you to the very extreme section of road to wait for the green. When you both push off, s/he's blocking your way as you've a line of cars accelerating past you on your right. So annoying. Hey, you know, I'm faster than you so just fucking wait behind me, ok?

people cycling up grafton street really irritate me, and slow guys on bikes they can't cycle properly, something about having testosterone means it makes it unbearable for them to be overtaken by someone wearing heels
and a dress. Have ended up in situations where I've just cycled home more slowly cause
I got fed up of the constant race of: them racing past ya then slowing down once they're in front.

that very extreme section at traffic lights (sometimes there's an extra line to mark it) is reserved for cyclists if i remember correctly.

I know what you mean but I'm talking about them going as far as possible out without impeding the other traffic. Also, there's often cars comeing the other way who are hoping to quickly turn right when the light changes and the cyclist who's half-way across the road will make that impossible. The cyclist gains a couple of seconds but pisses off the motorist.
Cycling through Donnybrook and Ranelagh I've had 4 incidents in the last 2 weeks alone where motorists have been complete pricks to me. But I don't want war. I'm ready to extend the hand of peace to my motoring brothers and sisters.

Except taxi-drivers. I hope they all perish in a ghastly pile-up.

I used to be a red light obeyor but now I break them. I don't mean ploughing through pedestrians on crossings or riding in between traffic. But crossing when nothing is coming. I would remove most lights traffic lights anyway, just let everyone muddle their way through junctions.

Ranelagh junction is fucken nuts to cycle through. people seem to go crazy driving

through it heading to town. like it's a ley line for the madsies.

people cycling up grafton street really irritate me, and slow guys on bikes they can't cycle properly, something about having testosterone means it makes it unbearable for them to be overtaken by someone wearing heels
and a dress. Have ended up in situations where I've just cycled home more slowly cause
I got fed up of the constant race of: them racing past ya then slowing down once they're in front.

I've been thinking about this and I have decided that it's actually hilarious

personally for me, it wastes alot of energy to try to keep up with someone that has just past me. i was passed 2 weeks ago and in the 200 meters or mso that i tried to keep up with them, i just burnt up too much energy before i thought i'm just not strong enough for it. a kilometer later, i couldn't see them up the road ahead of me at all

but i'm a countryside cyclists, not an urban one

on a cycling front, i'm going to amsterdam next weekend for the start of the giro d'italia

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back