Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I finally started cycling again today after maybe 10 years. I was wrecked even after a really short journey. Seems to take way more outta ya than I recall. Gears are a pain too. Made me realise how unfit I am, which makes sense since I started cycling to get fit. I eventually wanna be able to cycle the 5 miles to college and then back but I guess I'm going to have to build up to that sort of distant slowly enough.

cycling is a great way to keep fit and you will find that in a few weeks, the journey that used to tire you will be a walk in the park. it is a great feeling when you realise how much fitter you can become in a short space of time. i feel the same way right now but about running - last night was the first in a LONG time i actively went out with the intention of burning off a few calories and I'm hoping that I'll be able to build up the stamina to run more instead of walk :)

you will pick it up faster than you think.
If you did it before, you will get it back fast. Keep the mileage as high as you can, keep the speed down to let you push up the miles.
The speed will look after itself and be there when its ready.
Miles are the key to success in cycling.

it can take a few goes to get back into it.

we did a 25-30 mile cycle the otherday - I think what wrecked me was the Real Ale pit stops along the way....

I finally started cycling again today after maybe 10 years. I was wrecked even after a really short journey. Seems to take way more outta ya than I recall. Gears are a pain too. Made me realise how unfit I am, which makes sense since I started cycling to get fit. I eventually wanna be able to cycle the 5 miles to college and then back but I guess I'm going to have to build up to that sort of distant slowly enough.

throw yourself in at the deep end. Just go the whole hog and force yourself to do the full 5 miles from the off. As flashback said, take it handy to start with pacewise, and you'll speed up in time.

The legs will be jelly for a day or 2. After that you'll feel the strength building. And now is the best time of all to start with the winds fairly light and the weather pretty decent.

I :heart: cycling. I'm not sure of my distance but I do a round trip to work of 70-75 mins most days. Its amazing how addictive exercise becomes. I begin to freak a bit if I haven't done some for a few days.

You've picked a nice time to start too as it isn't too hot yet and its pretty calm. Man I had some scary journeys home throughout the winter being assaulted by sheets of rain and gale force winds.

Happy cycling. Welcome to the club!

I really want to get started on cycling for fitness over the summer: I've been running for most of the year but I've always found the bike to be more enjoyable. It's a good all-round workout too, apparently.

my bike =

prod_2228.jpg

saving for one of these .. come on SSIA

Z1848B_BIG.jpg

bike cadgers are the lowest of the low. you just can't have a nice bike in dublin. pricks

I was in exactly the same situation as you about six years ago.
Just keep cycling. It'll take you ages to get to college at first, but in about a month or two, it'll start taking you about twenty minutes.

Best way to travel.

i got a new bike a while back, cos my old one was in terrible condition, and i was left with the dilemna of what to do with the old one.

so i thought i'd just leave it unlocked on our bike rack and soon enough someone would nab it.
surely enough, two days later they did and it was gone.

but then it came back, two days later, i imagine the bike pricks were horrified at what poor condition it was in.

it got taken and put back again at the end of the week, and it wasn't until a week after it had gone missing for the third time that i was fairly sure i'd not see it again.

fuck bike pricks

Got one of these last week
7700.jpg

Getting about 20km a day going to work, but even though I haven't cycled much in towns before, I'll have to start cycling more cause its fun and 20km isnt enough. I've been in a terrible shape for a while now, but that should change. Any tips where to go cycling?

Got one of these last week
7700.jpg

Getting about 20km a day going to work, but even though I haven't cycled much in towns before, I'll have to start cycling more cause its fun and 20km isnt enough. I've been in a terrible shape for a while now, but that should change. Any tips where to go cycling?

what side of the city are you living on? I do quite a bit around Wicklow (Blessington side) and can put you onto some good routes down that way. There are other good ones out by North county Dublin, but I wouldn't be as familiar with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back