It is Thursday night. What are you up to? (1 Viewer)

ernesto said:
live work is over-rated..especially if youve been the NUIM SU engineer since september. having to deal with people who im convinced were put here to make me cry with frustration.

fun fun fun eh?

astatke?
yeah, i got the Broken Flowers soundtrack just coz of him. am yet to pick up any of his stuff as no downloads could be found. he got any good albums ? i likes that kind of music. like slow soulful Femi Kuti without the franticness

oh your doing sound in the SU now? were you there a few years ago when i played a dj set after the hothouse flowers and i got the plug pulled after three minutes? that was great.

the best astatke album is a compilation, which is absolutely essential. its volume four in the "ethiopiques" series. the full title of it is "Ethiopiques 4: Ethio Jazz Et Musique Instrumentale." i cannot recommend it highly enough, its one of the best albums i have heard. its one of the few things that almost everyone enjoys. absolutely stunning. it might be a bit tricky to get hold of, though, but i am more than happy to burn you a copy of it.

i'm trying to get rid of a headache i've had since 2.30 today, listening to June Of 44, and contemplating going for a pint of guinness as i hadn't in all of my end of year assignments today.thank.jaysus.

Brian Conniffe said:
oh your doing sound in the SU now? were you there a few years ago when i played a dj set after the hothouse flowers and i got the plug pulled after three minutes? that was great.

haha brilliant!! any recollection of the song that waranted the music being cut?

yeah, doin Dave's job since September. heart breaking-hairpulling stuff. mostly because the Ents crew give me no notice and couldnt organise a piss-up in a students union.

Brian Conniffe said:
the best astatke album is a compilation, which is absolutely essential. its volume four in the "ethiopiques" series. the full title of it is "Ethiopiques 4: Ethio Jazz Et Musique Instrumentale." i cannot recommend it highly enough, its one of the best albums i have heard. its one of the few things that almost everyone enjoys. absolutely stunning. it might be a bit tricky to get hold of, though, but i am more than happy to burn you a copy of it.
cool, ill try track it down, failing that, yeah id really appreciate a cogged one! deadly. it sounds like one of those albums that wont get old ever. ever listen to orchestra baobab?

tripoli said:
i'm trying to get rid of a headache i've had since 2.30 today, listening to June Of 44, and contemplating going for a pint of guinness as i hadn't in all of my end of year assignments today.thank.jaysus.
well done, nearly at that stage. 2 away for me.

pint you say?
its a bit cold out sharks but i could be convinced.

ernesto said:
haha brilliant!! any recollection of the song that waranted the music being cut?

i think (though i was very drunk) i played a load of sped up dancehall tracks all over aphex's didgeridoo, with recordings of gunfire from the mass suicide at jonestown on top of it.

cool, ill try track it down, failing that, yeah id really appreciate a cogged one! deadly. it sounds like one of those albums that wont get old ever. ever listen to orchestra baobab?

never heard of them. whats their story?

Brian Conniffe said:
i think (though i was very drunk) i played a load of sped up dancehall tracks all over aphex's didgeridoo, with recordings of gunfire from the mass suicide at jonestown on top of it.

jebus, thats some pretty hardcore mixed up noise!! and they pulled the plug? could they not just leave?

Orchestra Baobab are a Senegal group. not to dissimilar to cuban music but with an electric guitar too. sounds not very cuban coz obviously its in frence. so its odd but i really like it. Pirate's Choice is a 2cd album. think they started touring again a few years back what with their kind of style of music becoming popular in recent times thanks to Sn. Cooder. from the 70s. their guitarist became a lawyer when they spplit years ago. and that is the extent of my knowledge of them. i can mail you a copy if you want.

my finger hurts from this laptop's trackpad.

ernesto said:
well done, nearly at that stage. 2 away for me.

pint you say?
its a bit cold out sharks but i could be convinced.
give the big fella a shout, i'll follow. not cold. get it inta ye.

Any of you resident African music experts wanna make me a cog sheet compilation cd? I've listened to Fela Kuti a bit, The Rough Guide to The Music of Mali and Guinea and Rachid Taha. That's about the height of it.

ernesto said:
jebus, thats some pretty hardcore mixed up noise!! and they pulled the plug? could they not just leave?

well, i was djing at the start and inbetween acts. mostly dub, world music and nice hip hop. but i was told i would have a half hour at the end. so i thought i would make it a real intense dancey thing. but i got far too drunk, and went overboard to some extent. about half the crowd were dancing, the other half looked confused and the security looked pissed off. i recall one of the bouncers coming up to me and saying "its too aggressive, slow it down, people will get out of hand". so i said, ok, i'll slow it down, and i just sped everything up about four or five times faster. i think they tried to talk to me again but i dont remember. then the power went, and there was a good few people complaining to the security to put the music back on. i didnt really care at that stage though.

Orchestra Baobab are a Senegal group. not to dissimilar to cuban music but with an electric guitar too. sounds not very cuban coz obviously its in frence. so its odd but i really like it. Pirate's Choice is a 2cd album. think they started touring again a few years back what with their kind of style of music becoming popular in recent times thanks to Sn. Cooder. from the 70s. their guitarist became a lawyer when they spplit years ago. and that is the extent of my knowledge of them. i can mail you a copy if you want.

sounds very interesting. aye, we should do a cd swappyswap.

The Scientician said:
Any of you resident African music experts wanna make me a cog sheet compilation cd? I've listened to Fela Kuti a bit, The Rough Guide to The Music of Mali and Guinea and Rachid Taha. That's about the height of it.
sounds like youve bout the same as me!! ive only got a couple of compilations and a few Albums like yerself . great stuff. Brian may oblige. if its more than twelve words forget about it though

The Scientician said:

sure. i'm most familiar with the ethiopean jazz / swing stuff and west african ritual music.
i'll have time for loads of cd burning next week. remind me about it.

ernesto said:
sounds like youve bout the same as me!! ive only got a couple of compilations and a few Albums like yerself . great stuff. Brian may oblige. if its more than twelve words forget about it though

OI! I, erm, oh, yes, right...

I shall thanks Brian. I'm run you off one of my magpie slipshod indie/electro/quirky/oldtime compilations if i can get the cd burner working again. :)

tripoli said:
give the big fella a shout, i'll follow. not cold. get it inta ye.
i will actually, he had his 1st day @ AIB suckin corporate cock today with Placey. reckon he'll be up for a celebratory pint. he doent need an exuse anyway so lets cut the short talk!! if that was you txting me, dont - my screen is fucked!

Brian Conniffe said:
well, i was djing at the start and inbetween acts. mostly dub, world music and nice hip hop. but i was told i would have a half hour at the end. so i thought i would make it a real intense dancey thing. but i got far too drunk, and went overboard to some extent. about half the crowd were dancing, the other half looked confused and the security looked pissed off. i recall one of the bouncers coming up to me and saying "its too aggressive, slow it down, people will get out of hand". so i said, ok, i'll slow it down, and i just sped everything up about four or five times faster. i think they tried to talk to me again but i dont remember. then the power went, and there was a good few people complaining to the security to put the music back on. i didnt really care at that stage though.

sounds very interesting. aye, we should do a cd swappyswap.

was there some sort of tonic wine involved perhaps?
brilliant. yeah, PM your address and ill do de same.

ernesto said:
was there some sort of tonic wine involved perhaps?
brilliant. yeah, PM your address and ill do de same.

well, it was maynooth. i havent touched that stuff since. remember "loopy juice"? buckfast, vodka and red bull all mixed in a pot. my liver decays at the thought of it now.

Brian Conniffe said:
well, it was maynooth. i havent touched that stuff since. remember "loopy juice"? buckfast, vodka and red bull all mixed in a pot. my liver decays at the thought of it now.

shuddering at the thought.

had a round of shithead, the cardgame bout 6 months ago with a bottle of bucky as my weapon of choice...i puked in the sink...after not even a quarter of the bottle. gone be the days of 2 a night!ninjaaaa

Westcoast cooler, Cranberry Juice and Vodka swirled about in a big pot that's nice. Someone told me it is called a mullingar heifer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back