Is the Irish Music Industry unethical/immoral to independent artists? (2 Viewers)

If a band can't exist exist without money, then the band shouln't exist.
100% agree with that. But conversely why should a band make a loss when everyone else around them is getting their slice? It's simply unjustifiable except from a supply and demand angle which is just bullshit if you ask me.

And before all the laissez faire morons suggest that if a band doesn't make money it should give up, if you think that none of your favourite bands ever ran loss leaders in the early days you are beyond naive.

100% agree with that. But conversely why should a band make a loss when everyone else around them is getting their slice? It's simply unjustifiable except from a supply and demand angle which is just bullshit if you ask me.

And before all the laissez faire morons suggest that if a band doesn't make money it should give up, if you think that none of your favourite bands ever ran loss leaders in the early days you are beyond naive.

haha, I was just quoting an old thumped meme, spelling errors and all:

If a band can't exist exist without money, then the band shouln't exist. | thumped.com

If someone's making money then bands should be paid as far as i'm concerned. I'm gonna be poor forever with my attitude though.

in·dus·try
[in-duh-stree] Show IPA
noun, plural in·dus·tries for 1, 2, 7.
the aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often namedafter its principal product: the automobile industry; the steel industry.
any general business activity; commercial enterprise: the Italian tourist industry.
trade or manufacture in general: the rise of industry in Africa.
the ownership and management of companies, factories, etc.: friction between labor and industry.
systematic work or labor.

It has an industry by a few of those definitions, but it's tiny and is often just the employee on another foreign industry.

You said that you wouldn't mind losing venues. That means less options for musicians. That sounds worse. IMO.

It's really not. Losing the kind of 'venues' where half the PA speakers don't work, the sound person doesn't know arse from elbow, there's a giant fucking pillar right in front of the middle of the stage, the bands get the privilege of playing along to the jukebox music being played at the bar round the corner, the bands turn up to set up and are greeted by "Oh are you playing here tonight then?," the gigs get double-booked because the owner decided to give the night to one of their mates instead - losing those kind of 'venues' in Dublin would be nothing but great.

I think there needs to be differentiation made here between 'venue' and 'shit bar.' A 'venue' is somewhere that actually takes music seriously when they have bands playing, a 'shit bar' is somewhere that tries to get bands to play so they get more people buying their shit beer that night.

I got as far as this

"There are very few other careers where it is completely acceptable and the norm to not get paid for your work."

And thought(now I could be wrong) isn't that basically an internship?

Music as a career? join a covers band,your band is probably shit anyway.

Haven't "musicians" or "artists" been happy at the downfall of the "music industry" of late anyway? Putting the power back in the hands of the artist or some shit? Go on then,do something with that power,and I don't mean fundit campaigns. Career bands were quick enough to suck up to the record companys when they were taking chances on bands but now they are gone everyones a crybaby.

It's really not. Losing the kind of 'venues' where half the PA speakers don't work, the sound person doesn't know arse from elbow, there's a giant fucking pillar right in front of the middle of the stage, the bands get the privilege of playing along to the jukebox music being played at the bar round the corner, the bands turn up to set up and are greeted by "Oh are you playing here tonight then?," the gigs get double-booked because the owner decided to give the night to one of their mates instead - losing those kind of 'venues' in Dublin would be nothing but great.

I think there needs to be differentiation made here between 'venue' and 'shit bar.' A 'venue' is somewhere that actually takes music seriously when they have bands playing, a 'shit bar' is somewhere that tries to get bands to play so they get more people buying their shit beer that night.

So Whelans is a...?

The Workmans is a...?

Venues/promoters aren't there to facilitate bands. they're there to make money. Pull the finger out and raise your profile is ye wanna be part of the game, for fucks sake.
Nothing wrong with playing in shit barse at at all. Ye wanna get paid though, don't play shit bars. Be deadly, have confidence. Nothing will be handed to ye on a plate.
Ye all need a manger and PR guy, otherwise, you'll just sit here complaining about how unfair it all is. boo hoo. pull your fingers out or stfu.

Are venues that finish gigs early. So they can get more punters on for a 'club'.

Having said that, been at some of the best gigs of my life in them (moreso whelans)

Why aren't they putting on proper regular gigs in The Village anymore?

I'd say that the suggestion that Whelans should be shut down because it doesn't always pay bands is absurd and if it did shut it would be a loss for the scene.

Casually saying places like that deserve to shit unless they do the so-called "ethical" thing is ridiculous.

It's also a great example as it has an endless stream of live bands, many of them playing to empty rooms.

There's no tax credit or law that can make it financially feasible for them to pay dozens of extra people a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back